Oh lordy...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Platypus!!

Now I will never look at Porsches the same way again.... albeit a fast platypus!

I love Porsches.... 911t if I had the moolah, hands down best car for the money in terms of driveability and what not.

911T Top Gear Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maFaWixdJGM

911T vs Lambo Gallardo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf0U-nmLYTc

911T vs M6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmIkQnTzwec

Enjoy fellas!

Joey :)

Take a look at the Noble M400...something like half the price (or 2/3) and was put up very favorably against the Carerra GT...

I'll admit to loving the Cayman also. Just a beautiful car. How about the BMW M Coupe? Saw one this weekend when I went to get my M3 serviced. WOW. Love the lines.

Also saw an M6 convertible. :drool: That would be my car of choice if I had lots of money.

Other than the M6 and MAYBE the new 3 coupe BMW has not made a pretty car in near on a DECADE NOW! It is sad to see! Sure the perform well, but they look like HELL, ESPECIALLY the Z4 and all its iterations (though the coupe is MUCH better than the conv...that ain't saying much though!)

YMMV!

Take a look at the Noble M400...something like half the price (or 2/3) and was put up very favorably against the Carerra GT...

That is a stupid comparison (note I am not calling IWalker stupid, on that someone other than he would actually think to compare those two)! I don't care HOW GOOD the M400 is (or how fast)...IT IS A KIT CAR! You can not compare a car built to meet DOT, etc. specs and costs $400k and goes over 205mph to a KIT CAR! No one thinking about a Carrera GT is going to even park a Noble in their garage...

I'll admit to loving the Cayman also. Just a beautiful car. How about the BMW M Coupe? Saw one this weekend when I went to get my M3 serviced. WOW. Love the lines.

Also saw an M6 convertible. :drool: That would be my car of choice if I had lots of money.

Tom, a buddy of mine has the M3 convertible. Nice! But, the Porsche turns by telepathy!

Platypus!!

Now I will never look at Porsches the same way again.... albeit a fast platypus!

I love Porsches.... 911t if I had the moolah, hands down best car for the money in terms of driveability and what not.

911T Top Gear Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maFaWixdJGM

911T vs Lambo Gallardo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf0U-nmLYTc

911T vs M6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmIkQnTzwec

Enjoy fellas!

Joey :)

If I'm spending $130k on a car, I'm getting the Aston Martin V8 Vantage!

amv8_rdstr_00.jpg

That is a stupid comparison (note I am not calling IWalker stupid, on that someone other than he would actually think to compare those two)! I don't care HOW GOOD the M400 is (or how fast)...IT IS A KIT CAR! You can not compare a car built to meet DOT, etc. specs and costs $400k and goes over 205mph to a KIT CAR! No one thinking about a Carrera GT is going to even park a Noble in their garage...

BTW, I'm not sure if I meant the M400, or M15...I really know very little about them...just read a couple articles as all.

It's not my comparison...it was an actual drive comparision that was done that I have a copy of (I'll try to find a link) The guy driving during the test said that, for driving around town, he'd take the Carrera GT due to it's appeal and interior and plusher suspension around town ,but for a day at the track he'd take the Noble. Depends on your priorities. If ridiculous speed and handling on a tight (relatively) budget are more important to you than first rate interiors, and a 200+mph top speed, then it's a better car for you, considering you can buy 4-5 nobles for the price of one GT.

And I never said it was as good. Just said it was put up very favorably against a car that is MUCH more expensive. The GT is a much better total package (that I drool over quite often) ... but this is a taste of that kind of speed and handling for around the price of a 911. (The TopGear lap time of the M400 was around 2.5 seconds slower in the M400, but only .2 seconds slower in the M15 vs the GT3)

What is it that's inherent in a kit car that makes it worse? Prestige? Isn't the proof in the pudding, so to speak? As a big DIYer...I don't take much stock in it when people say "this is better because XXXX (big name speakers manufacturer) makes it."

And I never said it was as good. Just said it was put up very favorably against a car that is MUCH more expensive. The GT is a much better total package (that I drool over quite often) ... but this is a taste of that kind of speed and handling for around the price of a 911. (The TopGear lap time of the M400 was around 2.5 seconds slower in the M400, but only .2 seconds slower in the M15 vs the GT3)

What is it that's inherent in a kit car that makes it worse? Prestige? Isn't the proof in the pudding, so to speak? As a big DIYer...I don't take much stock in it when people say "this is better because XXXX (big name speakers manufacturer) makes it."

I probably misread. It is a good alternative, I am just saying they would never be considered by the same buyer.

Kit cars can be GREAT or junk, it all depends on the builder. They tend not to have consistency of finish that is the big problem, but I know Noble has done their best to overcome that.

My point was only that the comparison while interesting is silly as no one with enough money and who is considering a CGT will bother looking at a Noble and no one who can only afford a Noble (while getting CGT performance to be sure) would even come close to buying the CGT. As you pointed out you can buy 4/5 of those for the price of one CGT!

Yep, I agree. Though I think there might be "some" people who would get a noble + a bentley coupe or something as opposed to a GT3....but now I'm just hypothesizing...since I'm definitely not in the position to make that kind of decision ;)

"some" people who would get a noble + a bentley coupe or something as opposed to a GT3....but now I'm just hypothesizing...since I'm definitely not in the position to make that kind of decision ;)

AH, NOW YOU ARE MAKING IT INTERESTING!!! If you were going to spend $450k what would you get???? ONE CGT, or a whole FLEET of REALLY AWESOME cars, just not as awesome as a CGT! I like the Bent, and for me a 997TT (need that autobox) AND a 599 Ferrari to boot!!! YEA BABY! The 997TT out runs the CGT up till about 120 mph where the CGT starts to catch up, but I bet for an extra $30k or so you could make that 997TT EVEN FASTER than the CGT! Can't do much to a CGT!

AH, NOW YOU ARE MAKING IT INTERESTING!!! If you were going to spend $450k what would you get???? ONE CGT, or a whole FLEET of REALLY AWESOME cars, just not as awesome as a CGT! I like the Bent, and for me a 997TT (need that autobox) AND a 599 Ferrari to boot!!! YEA BABY! The 997TT out runs the CGT up till about 120 mph where the CGT starts to catch up, but I bet for an extra $30k or so you could make that 997TT EVEN FASTER than the CGT! Can't do much to a CGT!

Well for about $90K you can bump the TT up over 800hp. With 800hp on tap there isn't going to be much that will pull away from ya! :D

Well for about $90K you can bump the TT up over 800hp. With 800hp on tap there isn't going to be much that will pull away from ya! :D

Yea, but that is more than the car would cost on the used market (well 996 anyway, and eventually the 997's too)! That is CRAZY HP!

Man... 90K is more than adequate to build a TT Z or Supra TT to 4 digit hp range WITH appearance/cosmetic/suspension/brake work.

Man... 90K is more than adequate to build a TT Z or Supra TT to 4 digit hp range WITH appearance/cosmetic/suspension/brake work.

True but then you have to drive a Toyota or a Nissan! LOL! I bet an 800HP 911 would still hook up better and run better numbers on a strip and would SMOKE them on a road course!

Nothing beats having the motor directly over the rear wheels for both go and woo. Best part is it's still very steetable -- at least until you get a twitch in your right leg... LOL

But how much would that cost though :eek:

That is what we were talking about! $90k just to upgrade a 911TT to 800HP! It is only 2X or more expensive to go first class, come on! How about a new 599 Fiorano Ferrari built up to 1000HP or so! YEA BABY! I bet you could do that for just under $400k! LOL! :rocker:

Back