Nordost speaker cables--time to upgrade?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Classified Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I am currently running Solar Winds between my Carver M-500t and the Sequels, but I'm taking delivery on a pair of Carver Silver 7t monoblocks next week, and considering upgrading the speaker lines.

I'm looking at Nordost Blue Heavens or Red Dawns. Does anyone have experienc with either of these cables? I see a lot of Nordost cables paired up with Martin Logans in dealer's shops these days, and I LOVE the eay they sound with my Sequels, so I think that an upgraded model, in a shorter length will probably sound even better, but I wanted to get some feedback from you folks, if any of you own or have tried either of these cables in your systems.

Thanks,
--Richard

I am currently running Solar Winds between my Carver M-500t and the Sequels, but I'm taking delivery on a pair of Carver Silver 7t monoblocks next week, and considering upgrading the speaker lines.

I'm looking at Nordost Blue Heavens or Red Dawns. Does anyone have experienc with either of these cables? I see a lot of Nordost cables paired up with Martin Logans in dealer's shops these days, and I LOVE the eay they sound with my Sequels, so I think that an upgraded model, in a shorter length will probably sound even better, but I wanted to get some feedback from you folks, if any of you own or have tried either of these cables in your systems.

Thanks,
--Richard

Good stuff. I have the Red Dawn and the SPM. Lots of threads on this particular cable. Also loook into some cable post from Roberto

I had Cardas Golden Ref as well as Cardas Cross im my system. I have switched to all DH Labs. WOW!!! Incredible at 60% of the price. I am still amazed. ALLL of my Cardas is for sale now.

I had Cardas Golden Ref
I have Cardas Golden Ref between my turntable and tube pre-amp, a great product.

I have Nordost Blue Heaven everywhere else, love the product.

Borrow what you can from your local high end dealers and make your decision. Like Roberto always says; trust your ears.

Lugano,

Here is a review by 6 Moons which I agree with regarding what they heard and the comparison between DH Lab and JPS.

The DH Labs Revelation is one of the only Silver IC's I have heard which I like in my setup.

The BL-1 II is a great IC for the price, with the Air Matrix being slightly better than the BL-1 at around twice the price. I suspect the connector on the Air Matrix (Ultimate RCA) is one of the main reasons for the differences

I had recently used the JPS Labs FX for IC and speaker, but have recently switched all of these over to Zu Cable Varial IC and Libtec speaker cables.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dhlabs/paul_2.html

Lugano,

Here is a review by 6 Moons which I agree with regarding what they heard and the comparison between DH Lab and JPS.

The BL-1 II is a great IC for the price, with the Air Matrix being slightly better than the BL-1 at around twice the price.

Thanks Dan - I trust the people around here much more than the happy folks at 6Moons :)

By coincidence I also came to think about the Air Matrixes recently, and jtwrace's message raised my blood pressure.

Thanks Dan - I trust the people around here much more than the happy folks at 6Moons :)
I hear ya. But their review of the DH Labs Lineup was pretty good and very close to what I had heard with their cables in my system.

By coincidence I also came to think about the Air Matrixes recently, and jtwrace's message raised my blood pressure.
The Air is probably a good place to start in their lineup if $$$ is not a major concern. The Air Matrix is $195 for 1 meter. You might also consider giving the Zu Cable Gede a whirl and see what you think of it. It is $199 for 1 Meter MSRP but can be purchased for $109 starting price on Ebay auctions from Zu (you can usually get it between $110 and $120).

The Revelation is where you will really hear a big jump in performance in DH Lab linup. But it is $400 for 1 meter - not cheap and you rarely see them for sale used. Wish I still had one to compare to the Varial I am now using.

Dan

Audition first

Hi Richard,

As I'm sure you are aware, the correct "wire synergy" with your system, listening room, and your personal listening bias is critical for anyone wishing to achieve the optimum sound. You may want to call the Cable Company 800.328.9973 (AKA Fatwyre) and talk with John to arrange for an audition of various wire options. John is a well seasoned audiophile type and they a have a large "lending" inventory ranging from moderately priced to the extreme / obscene.

Another option is to check with Mapleshade at 888.236.2753. Their products are very unorthodox and look weird but, IMHO, offer an outstanding price / point performance ratio. In addition, they offer a 30 day money back for any of their products that are not custom order. Please feel free to send a PM if you choose to pursue this option and I will provide my perspective on their products.

Good luck and best regards.

GG

Last edited:
Wish I still had one to compare to the Varial I am now using.

Dan

Your wish is my command. I have a brand new Revelation XLR 1m if you would like to demo. It has already been "burned in" on my machine as well.

Wow ! Would you expand on that, jtwrace ? Which models, the sound, etc..

I am using the DH Labs Q-10 speaker wire. The Power Plus for all power cords. I use Revelation for all but the TT which is Air Matrix. I use 5m XLR to RCA BL-1 on the sub. I use D-75 for my Squeezbox to DAC. I had used the Cardas Lightining 15. The D-75 is hands down better IMO. I run all balanced with the exception of the CD to pre. As far as the sound, I cannot say that it's sooo much better. It's definitely open and precise. VERY VERY transparent. The biggest difference is that it works best throughout the frequency. I could not be happier with these cables. :D :D :D

I am using the DH Labs Q-10 speaker wire. The Power Plus for all power cords. I use Revelation for all but the TT which is Air Matrix. I use 5m XLR to RCA BL-1 on the sub. I use D-75 for my Squeezbox to DAC. I had used the Cardas Lightining 15. The D-75 is hands down better IMO. I run all balanced with the exception of the CD to pre. As far as the sound, I cannot say that it's sooo much better. It's definitely open and precise. VERY VERY transparent. The biggest difference is that it works best throughout the frequency. I could not be happier with these cables. :D :D :D

Thanks a lot for the info, jtwrace. I found a good deal on air matrixes on eBay and bought 2 pairs. Will report when installed.

How about a 1m of Air Matrix to try? I will burn in if you would like.....
I have tried them all from the BL-1, Air Matrix and Revelation.

It had been a while since I had the Revelation, which I believe is their best cable.

Thanks for the offer.

Dan

I have had Nordost Blue Heavens for a few years in my system, both for speaker an interconnect. The Nordost cables get better as you move up the line, I have heard the Valhallas, and they are absolutely stunning, as well as hideously expensive. So it is a question of how much money you are willing to spend. I think the sweet spot in the line is probably the Heimdall, but this is still pretty expensive. I really like Nordost with ML´s as they really showcase the speed and clarity of the ML´s, while their downside (being cold and analytical in some systems) is masked reasonably well. Kimber I thought sounded slow in comparison, but I know people that likes them with ML´s. If you buy a set of BH´s used, you can always sell them later if you dont like them.

Once your system get to a certain level there is no substitute for quality cabling, upgrading these may have more impact than changing amps or CD players.

All the Best
Svein

Last edited:
Once your system get to a certain level there is no substitute for quality cabling, upgrading these may have more impact than changing amps or CD players.

Svein,

I know what you mean. Today I received some new interconnects--White Zombie Audio silver XLR IC--that I'm using to connect the Benchmark DAC to my Krell pre. I had previously been using a lower model RCA ICs from the same company, and there was an INSTANT difference. I attribute a lot of the improvement to the XLR interface--it's a much better transmission setup than RCA connections--but the difference is astounding!

--Richard

Latest posts

Back