Nordost Odin on loan!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everybody!

We are loaning the Nordost Supreme Reference Odin this week. You can see the details and the pictures on page 3 on our system-page: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7578

If you have comment or questions, please write a comment under our system-page. Then we'll answer. ;)

Best regards,
René and Kenneth (dad and son)

Hi guys,
do you mean you're borrowing the Nordost Supreme Reference Odin for a week to see what it sounds like in your system??

If that's the case, please post your observations after the week is over.. I'm sure many of us would be interested in your findings.

Regards,

Tom.

That is a helluva lot of money for metal of any description! Can't a 24K gold bullion be had for less?

Intensely awaiting your thoughts on the sound though.

Holy silver wire Batman!
Sweet looking cable setup, as well it should be for $180k :D

Hi guys,
do you mean you're borrowing the Nordost Supreme Reference Odin for a week to see what it sounds like in your system??

If that's the case, please post your observations after the week is over.. I'm sure many of us would be interested in your findings.

Regards,

Tom.

I promise we'll post a comment or two about the sound...

Kenneth

I promise we'll post a comment or two about the sound...

Kenneth

And some comparisons/thoughts too. I mean, $USD180,000 would buy you some pretty nice electronics and speakers, AND some very reasonable cable with which to connect it all up too!

$180K for wire?

This clearly enters into the realm of how high is up and why one would seriously consider spending that amount on wire ONLY.

I'm a firm believer that wire does make a difference but at what point does it become unfathomable?

With all due respect, this one is way over the top for this music listener and establishes a new personal reference for the ultimate in conspicuous consumption.

GG

I think those are the ones shawn had hooked up to the CLX at DaVinci media I had no idea that they cost that much

I think those are the ones shawn had hooked up to the CLX at DaVinci media I had no idea that they cost that much

They are indeed expensive. Of course 180.000 usd is the price in Denmark. I think it's a bit less expensive in US, but almost the same.

Kenneth

Mini review of Nordost Odin:

After we have listened to the Nordost Odin cables in about a week, we thought it was time to a little mini review.

We'll take it step for step.

Plugging in the Odin power cord from the wall socket to the PS Audio PPP. Wow! A huge soundstage, tons of details and nuances, transparence and openness. The definition is so much better all over frequency range. From top to buttom.

Plugging in the Odin power cord in the Marantz SA11S2.
Almost the same as before...

Plugging in the Odin power cord in the Pass Labs X1.
Almost the same as before...

Plugging in the Odin power cords in the Martin Logan Summits.
We could imagine that this part of the review, is the most relevant for this forum. First of all the soundstage is the biggest we've ever heard. You can't imagine how many detalis and nuances there is. It's awesome. The transparency of the Summit is already superb, but with the Odin power cord it's amazing.

Plugging in the interconnects between the cd/pre and the pre/power.
Even more details, even more nuances, an even bigger and deeper soundstage etc. But with the interconnects something else happend to. The sound got too pretty. Too "clean" and pretty. Lagging on musical involvement.

Plugging in the speaker cables.
The characteristics is as with the interconnects, just much better. The lag of musical involvement isn't one of the keywords here.

Summing up.
The power cords is fantastic. The interconnects is very good to, but a bit too pretty and lagging a little bit on musical involvement. The most expensive cable of them all; the speaker cable, is also exceptional, but can sometime sound a little bit too pretty to.

Nordost's Supreme Reference Odin is an exceptional good cable serie, but if we should spend that many money on cables, the Odin's wouldn't be our choice. It's simply too "clean" and too pretty. Sometimes lagging a bit too much on musical involvement.

We hope the little review was helpful. ;)

Nordost Odin cables and cords

I have had Odin speaker cables, interconnects for main front end components and power cords for about a year and half. I don't use them on my Summits only because they are plugged into Nordost Thors which are connected to dedicated lines with Odin power cords and I haven't found that these speakers benefit as much from power cords as other source components. I had Valhalla before so I can compare these two cables. Valhalla was the best that I had heard but could sound a little thin on some sources. Odin has the best balance of any cable I have ever heard and I have heard them all. It is just "there" and does not add or subtract. Whatever you hear is the sound source: good sounds good, mediocre sounds mediocre.
These are hideously expensive cables and cords but don't need to be on all components if you have a power distributor like a Thor with six outlets. The speaker cable is probably the most important investment for Summits. The interconnects could be the last addition if needed.
One word of caution: these cables should not be auditioned if you can't buy them because they will make most listeners dissatisfied with their current cables

Latest posts

Back