Non-CD sources on Logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Hi, all the music I played on CDs using a CD player connected to a Krell firing an Ethose at a dealer's sounds excellent, but that played from a DVD or the same CD using an Oppo, or using youtube videos (not high quality) sounds unpleasant - it doesn't sound open and large like a Logan, but instead sounds compressed. Is this generally the case when poor sources are mated with Logans?

The difference between CD and non CD on normal box speakers seems much less

Last edited:
Electrostatic speakers are very revealing, for better or worse. The flaws in poorly recorded (or compressed) music, or lousy upstream components, are more obvious vs. most box speakers. That being said, there's no reason why a CD or DVD played on an Oppo should sound particularly bad (especially if the BDP-95 or 105 models). Perhaps there was something wrong with the dealers setup or Oppo settings. Streamed Youtube videos (even if HD) are obviously not going to provide audiophile quality.

Last edited:
Hola Bonzo. Your are right. Martin Logan will shows the quality of the recording or the source of the music. Others, no matter how the quality is, will show an average sound, not the transparency or the image, size of the instruments, the air between them, the soul of the musician(s), the voices, the right timbre of the brass and percussion, you name it. Martin Logan will shows to you the nuances of the music, not an average. As better the source is, the better the sound gets. I am using along with my system, two digital things that changed my sound for good. One is this http://belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_uLink.html and right now I am using the Bel Canto Ref Link. And the other, is this: http://www.audiolab.co.uk/M-DAC Series.aspx?lang=En I know they are expensive gear ( but not so is you make a comparison between the really expensive gear and what you get for the money there) but you can listen nicely youtube, having such bad source. These digital devices will extract and re-compose through their digital software, and incredible sound from the worst signal. This is what my ears are telling me. Happy listening!

non cd sound

Roberto: how does your logans sound when you play a good sounding album with one of your expensive turntable setups compared to your cd setup?

non cd sound

bonzo. noticed you are from london the city of analogue, turntables and cartridges and of course speakers. how does your logans sound with a good analogue system compared to digital?

Haven't heard analogue. I am a big fan of Zeppelin live, and there is only 1 good live CD. Else there are a couple of excellent DVDs, and then bootlegs from youtube, all which constitute my favorite music

Roberto: how does your logans sound when you play a good sounding album with one of your expensive turntable setups compared to your cd setup?

Hola. I think I am going to get nailed here. Righ now, I am using unly digital gear. I stop listening to analogue several months ago. If you really wants to enjoy your digital, you must stop to listen to analogue. All my LPs collection and my turntables are now in my junk room. You can on these days, enjoy digital sound that much. Digital sound is not perfect, but analogue it not too. I do not want to listen more dirty needles, high vertical and lateral distortion, rumble, wow and flutter, missing tracking, etc. Really guys, right now I am enjoying my digital gear that much! I have very good stage, the soul of the musician(s), the nuances of the music, etc. I love what I do listen. Happy listening!

Hi Roberto, what is the difference in buying an Audiolab Mdac vs Aduiolab CDQ (which seems to be a DAC with a CD player thrown in, since I need a CD player as well)?

Also, have you seen differences between Audiolab and Naim Unitilite (since the latter gives me a CD player, DAC, and streamer, or can I stream to Audiolab directly from my Mac?

Audiolab seems to have asynchronous USB, while Naim doesn't. Is that a big thing?

This Dac allows you to have several digital inputs. This M-DAC has 5, two toslink, two coax, and one usb. On the other hand, the frequency domain at the USB input is limited up to 96KHz, while coax and toslink, you are able to use up to 192KHz/24bit. Everything it is a matter of liking. My liking not necessary has to be yours. There are a lot of nice reviews, about this M-DAC, here is one: http://www.avrevolution.com.au/SiteMedia/w3svc1114/Uploads/Documents/Audiolab_MDAC_HFC.pdf , and also it is winning a lot of consideration regarding price vs performance. I am not saying this is the best DAC, what I am saying it that in my system, and working together with the Bel Canto, and I can play youtube sound without any distortion. Differences between DACs, your ears have to decide. You might like better Naim, and I did like this, because you have up to seven different digital filters, and this feature allows to you to choose the best filter for a particular recording, coming from your computer, dvd, cd transport or any digital source with these kinds of outputs. Happy listening!

My ears can easily make out the differences between speakers, than between amps, but not much between CD players, so was wondering if there were any between DACs.

Ok, so you like Audiolab M-Dac, then have you ever compared it to Audiolab CDQ to check if DAC quality is the same? Just asking since the CDQ has an additional CD player.

If you listen carefully, your ears will tell. Just listen to the surrounded musician(s), the timbre, the size of the instruments, the vocals, the stage, the easy to understand the piano player left hand vs right hand. And you are done. Yes, I had made some comparisons and this is the one that I liked most, besides the great value. Just follow your ears, trust in them, not in just specs. Happy listening!

Back