MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispb1

Reaction score
Hi All, thank you for accepting me into your group.
I’m expecting the arrival of a new pair of CLX Art on Friday and I’m quite excited. I owned a pair of CLS’s about 20 years ago which I really liked. I’ve also enjoyed Quad 2905’s and rebuilt Apogee duetta sigs, all had their own shortcomings, which for me were lack of bass extension on the CLS, inability to play loud, without cutting out on the Quads and lacking treble sparkle and mid bass punch on the Apogee’s. I’m hopeful that the CLX’s supplemented by 2 SVS ultra 16SB subs, will be a big improvement in all those area’s. Looking forward to enjoying your posts. Cheers all

Welcome Chris. I'm sure you will be amazed at what the CLX's can do in your room.
What equipment are you driving them with?
Hi Brad, thank you. I use a Auralic Aries G2, Denafrips Gaia and Terminator plus, mini dsp shd, Nat magnetostat pre and AGD Gran Vivace. I’m also itching to try my Line Magnetic 845 premium but I’m doubtful on its power output. Currently speakers are Raidho d1.1 which I think are excellent but alas too small for the room being 20ftx32ft. Big 🤞for the CLX’s

The CLX pair is brand new, or new to you? Just curious. Its probably really hard to find a new unopened still in the box pair since they havent been made in a year or more. I cant remember when production stopped. Where did you find them?

The CLX pair is brand new, or new to you? Just curious. Its probably really hard to find a new unopened still in the box pair since they havent been made in a year or more. I cant remember when production stopped. Where did you find them?
Hi Robert

New to me but unopened still in box via authorised dealer in the UK selling on behalf of original buyer who never got to use them. I think the they went out of production 2022?

Oh yeah...!!!
Nice one Chris mate, you'll be pleasantly rewarded!

Funny one that, I've previously owned exactly those other speakers as well. Including Maggie's (many many Maggie's), Quads, Apogee's and the CLSIIz's and SL3's.

The CLX's are on another level, there's no comparison at this level. These are very high performance speakers and will reveal anything and everything you drive them with, plus all of your components in the system.
Apart from the CLX's, just be prepared to spend a bit more on other areas of your system because these full range stats will highlight every tiny flaw or shall I say compromise.

There's no way to achieve 100% perfection but if you've achieved at least 95% or a high 98% of blissful playback quality, just sit back and enjoy those finest tunes!

Note: with the subs, there's a specific cross-over point you want to trial, especially with the CLX's, your subs and your room set-up. A very wise man told me, that since the CLX's are around 55 to 56Hz in LF, try to cross over the sub at least 10Hz below that level, not higher. If crossed over at a higher level, both the slopes of LF from the CLX's and sub will overlap, causing the sub to be heard.

The idea is to make your subs disappear. Anyway, I'm thinking that you already know this. I did try various subs (three different kinds) and ended up with just one ML BF210. Matched with the ARC software and fine tuning on custom controls that the BF series has, the sub simply disappears! One was more than adequate for my room set-up. Two would be nice but I didn't require it.

Just for fun though, first try the CLX's without the subs. Play anything with bass lines and you'll be truly amazed at the speed and agility of the CLX's LF detail. It's all to do with the double bass panels, having a structure comprising of triple stators and dual mylars. The speed and linearity at which this bass frequency moves is truly supreme! There's simply no sub on earth that can match that LF speed and detail of the CLX's bass panels.

In fact, many have Criticised the bass on the CLX's and have called them, "bass less." They're so far wrong... they have no clue. They're used to box / cabinet type of bass colorations. The CLX's don't have a box, simple as that!

However, there are certain LF notes, such as organ, synthesised bass and so on, that is sometimes missed out on the CLX's. Apart from that, if it's on the recording to begin with then the CLX's will reproduce it. Only on those very low notes, 30Hz and below... the CLX's won't capture it. You can certainly feel it but not quite as full range dynamic drivers. This is where subs help indeed! But as I said, provided these LF's are on the recording... otherwise using subs to me is actually adding artificial enhancements, which aren't on the recording. Just my 50cts worth.

Cheers to the CLX Art's!
That deserves a mighty WOOF!
BTW, what colour and finish did you get?

RJ

Welcome from another Noob :)
Thank you
Awesome find, especially when not living in the US or Canada.

Oh yeah...!!!
Nice one Chris mate, you'll be pleasantly rewarded!

Funny one that, I've previously owned exactly those other speakers as well. Including Maggie's (many many Maggie's), Quads, Apogee's and the CLSIIz's and SL3's.

The CLX's are on another level, there's no comparison at this level. These are very high performance speakers and will reveal anything and everything you drive them with, plus all of your components in the system.
Apart from the CLX's, just be prepared to spend a bit more on other areas of your system because these full range stats will highlight every tiny flaw or shall I say compromise.

There's no way to achieve 100% perfection but if you've achieved at least 95% or a high 98% of blissful playback quality, just sit back and enjoy those finest tunes!

Note: with the subs, there's a specific cross-over point you want to trial, especially with the CLX's, your subs and your room set-up. A very wise man told me, that since the CLX's are around 55 to 56Hz in LF, try to cross over the sub at least 10Hz below that level, not higher. If crossed over at a higher level, both the slopes of LF from the CLX's and sub will overlap, causing the sub to be heard.

The idea is to make your subs disappear. Anyway, I'm thinking that you already know this. I did try various subs (three different kinds) and ended up with just one ML BF210. Matched with the ARC software and fine tuning on custom controls that the BF series has, the sub simply disappears! One was more than adequate for my room set-up. Two would be nice but I didn't require it.

Just for fun though, first try the CLX's without the subs. Play anything with bass lines and you'll be truly amazed at the speed and agility of the CLX's LF detail. It's all to do with the double bass panels, having a structure comprising of triple stators and dual mylars. The speed and linearity at which this bass frequency moves is truly supreme! There's simply no sub on earth that can match that LF speed and detail of the CLX's bass panels.

In fact, many have Criticised the bass on the CLX's and have called them, "bass less." They're so far wrong... they have no clue. They're used to box / cabinet type of bass colorations. The CLX's don't have a box, simple as that!

However, there are certain LF notes, such as organ, synthesised bass and so on, that is sometimes missed out on the CLX's. Apart from that, if it's on the recording to begin with then the CLX's will reproduce it. Only on those very low notes, 30Hz and below... the CLX's won't capture it. You can certainly feel it but not quite as full range dynamic drivers. This is where subs help indeed! But as I said, provided these LF's are on the recording... otherwise using subs to me is actually adding artificial enhancements, which aren't on the recording. Just my 50cts worth.

Cheers to the CLX Art's!
That deserves a mighty WOOF!
BTW, what colour and finish did you get?

RJ
Hi RJ.

Thanks for your message and the informative/helpful comments.
The CLX’s are white gloss, though, had I the choice, they would be black to better match the decore. Hopefully, they will be up and running by midday tomorrow, following which I’ll post some pics.
Cheers

Thank you

Hi RJ.

Thanks for your message and the informative/helpful comments.
The CLX’s are white gloss, though, had I the choice, they would be black to better match the decore. Hopefully, they will be up and running by midday tomorrow, following which I’ll post some pics.
Cheers
You can always have a sign company wrap the front in Black Chris. It shouldn't do anything to the finish when removed.

Ah! I was thinking more or less the same thing. Just get the fronts done in Black if you prefer that color, and don't worry about the back. Although the white is very unusual and unique, must be quite interesting when up close.

I once had Maggie's, MG3.3 full white trims with a grey fabric. It looked pretty cool compared to most standard finishes. I think it sounded better too!

See how you go, you might just end up liking the white color after all.
Cheers, and enjoy those finest tunes.
RJ

Ah! I was thinking more or less the same thing. Just get the fronts done in Black if you prefer that color, and don't worry about the back. Although the white is very unusual and unique, must be quite interesting when up close.

I once had Maggie's, MG3.3 full white trims with a grey fabric. It looked pretty cool compared to most standard finishes. I think it sounded better too!

RJ
Hi RJ

Well they are in the house.

RJ

Hi RJ
Well they are up and running and actually I think the white works, whether I stick with it or wrap them eventually is another matter. Cheers Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Stunning look, I’ve heard these but would love to someday! Anybody here in So-cal with a pair?!

Hooray!!! Well done matey. Looks fab!

Yeah, white looks quite exquisite, very unique. Plenty of space there, really good placement for CLX's, and these are large stats, they need room to breathe and be able to propel its sheer power. As I said before, these are high performance speakers, truly awesome when driven by top gear.

For me, as I've said many times, on many other forums, there's no other speaker system I'd rather own, regardless of price.
The CLX's are all about immersive sound, and that totally engages me with the musical experience.

Yes, question raised by Brad, how do you find them so far? Allow them to settle in nicely and you may need to make finer adjustments to their placement, also in accordance with your listening position. Once you've found that spot, the CLX's will simply disappear!

One other finer adjustment you can do, and that's if you're going to or thinking of... is to use the Gaia II's from Iso Acoustics. The Gaia II's can handle upto 55kgs and since the CLX's are 50kgs each, the Gaia II's are ideal.
Also, their unique suspension system is really well designed and couples the CLX's to the floor with a solid footing. It seems like you've got hard floors where the CLX's are positioned, and the Gaia's work best on hard surfaces. Or at least that's what I experienced at our place when we previously had wall to wall carpeting and now concrete floors with tiles. The Gaia's really work well.
The standard supplied spikes are quite good, easy to install and work well with carpeting but the Gaia's take that overall performance a notch further.

Very happy to see another beautiful pair of CLX Art's, one of a kind full range stats, they're in a league of their own.

Cheers mate, and enjoy those finest tunes.
WOOF!!! RJ

Stunning look, I’ve heard these but would love to someday! Anybody here in So-cal with a pair?!
The very last pair here (Aus Down unda) sold in Melbourne for 50grand! $AUD. That particular owner also had other top flight panel type speakers, such as Maggie 20.7's and Audio Analysis Omega's. Once he got the CLX's, he sold off the others straight away. Then, there's a good mate of mine who bought Apogee Diva's and gave them to Graz for a full refurb project that took nearly 3 years! In the meantime, he got a pair of CLX Art's in Cherry Red. However, once the required refurb project on the Apogee's were completed, he couldn't keep two large panels, so he sold off the CLX's! That very same pair with cherry red finish, went through two other owners, and now sits in one of the guys lounge rooms just idling. Simply because they don't have the adequate space to make full justice of these awesome stats. In fact, neither of these guys had the adequate space or proper room set-up. Although they had top flight gear, the CLX's could not perform to their optimum. And when I mean top flight gear, I'm referring to CJ GATS2 preamp, the Gryphon Mephisto power amp, digital playback systems by Playback Design, Ayon 400w tube monoblocks with some very pricey cables, and the list goes on... regardless of this lofty gear, the rooms were all wrong for CLX's.

I learnt a big lesson then, the room is just as important as any other component in your system. If you get the room all wrong, no matter how much you spend on lofty gear, it won't do justice in speaker performance. No chance Charlie
Anyway, those CLX's are still sitting there in fine cherry red... idling and waiting for the right owner. If I were plain silly and didn't know what to do with my money, I'd actually buy that pair! Then I'd ask myself, now what the heck am I going to do with two pairs of CLX's??? Ah! One color for summer and one color for winter. That's about right!

Cheers, RJ

Last edited:
The very last pair here (Aus Down unda) sold in Melbourne for 50grand! $AUD. That particular owner also had other top flight panel type speakers, such as Maggie 20.7's and Audio Analysis Omega's. Once he got the CLX's, he sold off the others straight away. Then, there's a good mate of mine who bought Apogee Diva's and gave them to Graz for a full refurb project that took nearly 3 years! In the meantime, he got a pair of CLX Art's in Cherry Red. However, once the required refurb project on the Apogee's were completed, he couldn't keep two large panels, so he sold off the CLX's! That very same pair with cherry red finish, went through two other owners, and now sits in one of the guys lounge rooms just idling. Simply because they don't have the adequate space to make full justice of these awesome stats. In fact, neither of these guys had the adequate space or proper room set-up. Although they had top flight gear, the CLX's could not perform to their optimum. And when I mean top flight gear, I'm referring to CJ GATS2 preamp, the Gryphon Mephisto power amp, digital playback systems by Playback Design, Ayon 400w tube monoblocks with some very pricey cables, and the list goes on... regardless of this lofty gear, the rooms were all wrong for CLX's.

I learnt a big lesson then, the room is just as important as any other component in your system. If you get the room all wrong, no matter how much you spend on lofty gear, it won't do justice in speaker performance. No chance Charlie
Anyway, those CLX's are still sitting there in fine cherry red... idling and waiting for the right owner. If I were plain silly and didn't know what to do with my money, I'd actually buy that pair! Then I'd ask myself, now what the heck am I going to do with two pairs of CLX's??? Ah! One color for summer and one color for winter. That's about right!

Cheers, RJ
What were some of the things wrong with the rooms the CLX was in? Size too small, maybe square?

Latest posts

Back