Quantcast

Monkey Audio vs Flac

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

ASLayerAODsk

Reaction score
okie dokie.
havent been here in a while so i thought i would post it here..as noone elses seems to have a clue..dunno why i didnt start here..oh well :D

so..anyone else here have a HTPC setup with their ML's? i have Aerius i's and i just cant keep my audio hardware up to date as cheaply as i can do it thru my pc...my soundcard blows the poop outta my audio hardware..its sad :p *Audigy 2 ZS vs Denon 1801*
anyway..so if anyone else is as fanatical as i am...do you prefer monkeys audio or Flac, and WHY?

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Both are lossless, but FLAC is the current darling because... open source (APE might be too, not sure), faster decompression, easy tagging (even supporting replaygain/albumgain) strong base of software and hardware support, growing list of musicians releasing albums/tracks in FLAC format.

See latest info at... http://flac.sourceforge.net/index.html
Additional info in Lossless section of Hydrogenaudio Forums.

See my sig for details of my FLAC based PC-Audio setup.

ASLayerAODsk

Reaction score
sleepysurf said:
Both are lossless, but FLAC is the current darling because... open source (APE might be too, not sure), faster decompression, easy tagging (even supporting replaygain/albumgain) strong base of software and hardware support, growing list of musicians releasing albums/tracks in FLAC format.

See latest info at... http://flac.sourceforge.net/index.html
Additional info in Lossless section of Hydrogenaudio Forums.

See my sig for details of my FLAC based PC-Audio setup.

see..and heres the thing..i find monkey to sound 'richer' and more like the original cd..no matter WHAT the compression ratio...FLAC i find just sounds so...'flat' the highs are gone...the lows are pulled in..and my ML's REALLY show that.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
If properly ripped, either APE, FLAC, ALAC, or even lossless WMA, should yield identical audio streams. Same principle as Zipping and Unzipping a file. If you think FLAC sounds worse, something is wrong in your coding or decoding. Lots of discussion in other forums explaining why this is so.

gstring

Reaction score
sleepysurf said:
If properly ripped, either APE, FLAC, ALAC, or even lossless WMA, should yield identical audio streams. Same principle as Zipping and Unzipping a file. If you think FLAC sounds worse, something is wrong in your coding or decoding. Lots of discussion in other forums explaining why this is so.
Agreed - As the FLAC should be a digital clone of the source, it should not sound any different. Digital fingerprints and the md5 file should confirm this.