Logan's and multiple CD changers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipgrncln

Reaction score
Wondering what others are doing in regards to single vs multiple cd changing units. I currently have a single changer and was wondering....

1. What other ML folks are using

2. If someone can recomend any multiple changers that are "audiophile"

Many Thanks

Bob J

Is there such thing as a high-end audiophile grade cd changer? All I ever see are the cheap ones in the Best Buy, Circuit City and the likes.

I use a Sony 400 disk DVD, CD, and SACD player. I use the optical out and run it to the my sunfire pre-amp DAC. I aslo run 5.1 direct out of the Sony into the sunfire direct input for SACD.

Last edited:
I've got an Anthem CD-1 which will handle 6 disc's. It's a good sounding player in it's own right, but it sounds better when I run it to my outboard Dodson DAC. As with any CD "changer", compromises are made in the transport to keep the player to a certain price point. As a transport only it does not compare to my Esoteric DV-50S. Still though, it is much better built than the changers you would typically see at Best Buy, Circuit City etc.

Did not know Anthem made a CD Player. More info please !!!!

Bob J

NAD made a decent multi-disk changer a while back, but I think the best solution is doing digital out to a dedicated DAC. I use a Benchmark DAC1 with my Sony multi-DVD player, and I like the results relative to my old Rotel 1072 single CD player. To my ears, the Sony/Benchmark combo sounds slightly better, but the combined price is just about twice.

But still no Theta, Musical fidelity, Cary, Linn, Meridian, Wadia and the likes.

Pioneer Elite 300 disc changer. I like it. Probably plenty of better stuff out there but it is fine for me...

You might try using one of the better changers as a pure transport and add an outboard DAC. The DACs are usually the weak link in cheap digital players. If you use an outboard DAC such as a Benchmark DAC 1 it will even do some reclocking to reduce jitter. I've run a Sony CX355 (cheap, very cheap) thru toslink into my DAC1 with a good degree of success.

I'm not saying it sounds as good as my Theta, it's just not going to embarrass your system.

Rotel (1055?) on the low end, possibly McIntosh on the higher end.

There is no big audiophile market for cd changers. It costs too much to get a quiet motor and manufacturers believe they won't get their return on investment. Most audiophiles listen to one cd at a time. For parties, where this type of thing would be useful, no one listens closely anyways, so why bother?

Instead of hunting for an audiophile-grade changer, I suggest a music server. Either a Squeezebox (or Sonos, or Roku) with outboard DAC, or perhaps a Transporter (includes audiophile grade DAC), playing back lossless files (FLAC, Apple lossless, WAV, etc.) There are also other audiophile grade servers that include a CD transport, like the Olive or MacIntosh. Servers allow you to access/browse ALL your music instantaneously, and create custom playlists. Changers are totally passé.

Music servers are taking over this function. Use a lossless compression and a high quality DAC (either inboard or outboard) and you are good to go. The olnly thing they do not do is SACD and DVD-A due to copyright/drm regulations.

Instead of hunting for an audiophile-grade changer, I suggest a music server. Either a Squeezebox (or Sonos, or Roku) with outboard DAC, or perhaps a Transporter (includes audiophile grade DAC), playing back lossless files (FLAC, Apple lossless, WAV, etc.) There are also other audiophile grade servers that include a CD transport, like the Olive or MacIntosh. Servers allow you to access/browse ALL your music instantaneously, and create custom playlists. Changers are totally passé.

Yep, go a Squeezebox. Running Lossless compression, it will probably out-perform most CD changers with its analogue out. Put it into a DAC and you've got something very close to the potential of the DAC.

Squeezebox with a CIAudio DAC playing FLAC files off of a server, plus an Oppo 970HD for playing SACD and DVD-A discs.

2. If someone can recomend any multiple changers that are "audiophile"
I suspect any choice of CD changer will sound great using the optical out thru an external DAC.

I have a Pioneer 301 and a SONY 400 with SACD in addition to my regular listening sources. The nice thing about these gadgets is they serve as storage for CD's / DVD's and you never have to worry about others scratching your prised collection. No CD covers floating around the place and your listening area looks tidy all the time.

The hard drive based systems might appeal to many as they can be more compact and perform equally as well, but I have personally experienced the malfunction of these drives on occasion and can't emphasize enough the importance of having a good backup for these devices. In due time they will be replaced by cheaper flash drives with no moving parts.

I was in the market for a CD changer a couple years ago and ended up buying a McIntosh MCD205. Phenomenal unit. I ended up selling it and going with a Squeezebox for casual listening instead.

Loved the Mac, though.

Another suggestion if you go the networked route is Sonos. I run my Sony CDP over coax, and the Sonos over optical into my DAC. Benchmark can switch between the two inputs. In addition to the inherent advantages of the networked approach (instant access to all music, playlist, etc.), Sonos also makes for a very powerful whole house music distribution solution, if that's of interest to you.

Did not know Anthem made a CD Player. More info please !!!!

Bob J

There's actually one over on Audiogon right now that is "Sale Pending" for $795.00. Here's the sellers description:

The Anthem CD-1 gives you six-CD changer convenience without giving up the high-end sound most of us who toil over the Audiogon listings long for. This unit is in near-mint condition - rated 8/10 only for age. Typically over-achieving in the Anthem/Sonic Frontiers tradition, be sure to check out the owner reviews @ the AudioReview website (14 reviews; 4.86 out of 5.00 rating) and the professional reviews at the Anthem website (under the archive section). The CD-1 uses Burr-Brown (PCM 1702P) 20 bit D/A converters, the excellent Pacific Microsonic PMD-100 HDCD filter/decoder and the Sony Musicbank six-CD transport, all wonderful components, but the real star of this show is the tube output. The Anthem-supplied Sovtek 6922 does a fine job and is included, but the NOS (1964) Ediswan 6DJ8/CV5358 from Kevin Deal @ Upscale Audio raises performance to an entirely new level. And, of course, the usual Anthem bullet-proof construction is present (30 lbs shipped!). All the original goodies are present, too: Philips screwdriver for opening the case, cotten glove for handling the tube, detachable power cord, remote control, owner's manual and factory box and packing.

I actually don't use mine ever since getting my Esoteric. If you are interested shoot me a PM - I'd sell it for less than the $795.00 price on A-Gon

Attachments

• AnthemCD!.jpg
    AnthemCD!.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 78
  • AnthemCD1-2.jpg
    AnthemCD1-2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Back