Let me drink from the knowledge fountain

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomnash

Reaction score
Good morning,
Below is a simple picture of what my listening area looks like straight on.
I am going to be adding my new (Pass or Plinius) Amp on DEC 1st. Since I will have to move several items to connect the amp, I figure I might as well do as much as I can at the same time. So here we go with "What are your thoughts?":
1. Would you place the amp on the bottom shelf of the rack; or on it's own isolation stand similiar to a VTI BL404-01 Amp Stand or Auralex Gramma?
2. In the left front corner behind my Vantage is my Klipsch sub, I am thinking of moving it forward along the left side wall about 10 feet. Thoughts?
3. If I move the Sub, I was thinking of switching places with the component rack and the left Vantage. Moving the rack more into the corner and allowing more uniform placement of the Vantages on either side of the plasma. In doing this I would move the TV and Vantages out about another 6 inches from the wall.
4. I am unfamiliar with room treatments; would something like Paulo's (System 200 ) panels work well behind the plasma and the Vantages?
Thanks, Lee

Attachments

• Copy of frontal.JPG
    Copy of frontal.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 131
Time for experimentation.

Put the left vantage in both spots, and leave it where it sounds best.

Repeat instructions for the sub :D

From what I have gathered, a good listening distance from the sub can be 2/3 the distance of the room (I presume to avoid standing wave effects?).

I bet some will prefer an amp stand for something that you are getting. But looks do matter, yes. Depending on which you choose, if it runs cool, can actually fit in the center, and its weight can actually be supported, wth not.

I've seen Paulo's system before, what a beauty ...

Two quick tips, because your room looks verrry similar to mine except I have carpeting (yuck).

Fool around with hanging a thick soft blanket over the TV and/or on the wall behid it and see how the stage image changes.

Put your sub as close to your favorite litening position, even on it, and then crawl around the room to find the spot where you hear it sound the best. that will be where to start the initial placement.

A Pass or Plinius (when switched to Class A bias) will run hot and need good ventilation. I would place it on its own stand.

Only your ears can tell you where your Vantages and Sub will sound best. Anything we might tell you is pure conjecture.

Room treatments of some sort behind the Vantages will probably help.

Good luck with it and have fun.

a little bit of treatment behind the vantages would be great if you can integrate it into your decor and a little in the front, right off the first reflection
on the sides would be great too.

Biggest thing you can do is put your TV in another room and get all that stuff
out from between the speakers!

(don't know if that makes sense for you though...)

Just getting three racks worth of gear out from inbetween my Summits has done more for the imaging than anything else I've ever done, and it didn't cost a cent. (wait, those 15 foot interconnects were a little spendy...)

Good luck on the project!

Beakman's got the idea with sub placement.

As for the amp, make sure it is in a location where it can breathe and won't be emitting heat on other components!

Try moving that coffee table as well; it may well not make a difference, but is an easy test.

Back