I'm ready for my iphone!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look forward to a report on it after you get it!!

+1 I love to hear about the keyboard experience... do you text msg a bunch? I'm trying to figure out if the teenagers will buy in big numbers...

LET US KNOW what you think...

I'm sitting this one out... but I look forward to pics and impressions!

Joey

+1 I love to hear about the keyboard experience... do you text msg a bunch? I'm trying to figure out if the teenagers will buy in big numbers...

LET US KNOW what you think...

From Engadget:

Still, we managed to smuggle out some freshly leaked details from a very trusted inside source who's been fooling around with a unit. Here's what they had to say:

* The keyboard was simply described as "disappointing". Keyboarding with two thumbs often registers multiple key presses (two or three at a time) resulting in a lot of mistakes. The best way to type is with a single finger (as shown in most of Apple's demos), but two thumbs is supposedly very difficult. After trying it for a number of days our source gave up using their thumbs.
* The text auto-correction only works well for simple words, but doesn't work for proper names. We can only assume this bit will get better with time as Apple fills out its predictive text dictionary.
* "It won't replace a BlackBerry. It's not good for text input. It's just not a business product."
* The touchscreen was said to, in general, require somewhat hard presses to register input, and needs some getting used to.
* In addition to its dock, the iPhone comes packaged with a polishing cloth (the thing's supposedly a fingerprint magnet, no surprise) and the usual smallish power adapter.
* The Bluetooth headset will debut in the $120 range, and will come with its own dock for charging both the phone and the headset. The headset will feature a miniature magnetic charging interface á la MagSafe.

Don't kill the messenger! Please! :)

From Engadget:
Don't kill the messenger! Please! :)

None of those things surprise me. The iPods are also finger print magnets. The software issues will get worked out as well in time. The hard presses could be just that unit as it would probably be a pre-pro unit. They will need to figure out how to make the presses work w/ thumbs for texting though. That will be pretty big. Hope the blue tooth headset is stereo!

I have an ATT 8525 which is a pretty high tech smartphone. It has a touchscreen and a stylus, with a full qwerty flip out keyboard. For dialing, I use the touch screen and it is SLOW to do this. For these types of screens, you cant just dial by touch (one handed) like you would with a normal phone. When I use my speed dial or phone book it isnt as bad, but still it is slower compared to a standard phone.

My device has UMTS (3.5G) and wifi and every other feature you can think of (even powerpoint!). I can even talk on it and be on the high speed internet at the same time. Despite all of these things it performs better as a mini PC than a phone. I am thinking the iphone will be similar. It will be a cool mini computer but not as good of a phone as your standard flip phone --- or as good of a business machine as a blackberry or dash.

Awaiting reviews from you early adopters.

My phone here.
8525%20small.jpg

Cool phone.

Who has the service on that? At&t,Verizon etc.

I have an ATT 8525 which is a pretty high tech smartphone. It has a touchscreen and a stylus, with a full qwerty flip out keyboard. For dialing, I use the touch screen and it is SLOW to do this. For these types of screens, you cant just dial by touch (one handed) like you would with a normal phone. When I use my speed dial or phone book it isnt as bad, but still it is slower compared to a standard phone.

My device has UMTS (3.5G) and wifi and every other feature you can think of (even powerpoint!). I can even talk on it and be on the high speed internet at the same time. Despite all of these things it performs better as a mini PC than a phone. I am thinking the iphone will be similar. It will be a cool mini computer but not as good of a phone as your standard flip phone --- or as good of a business machine as a blackberry or dash.

Awaiting reviews from you early adopters.

My phone here.
8525%20small.jpg

Great txting phone... I'm sitting out the iPhone craziness... but I do understand why folks are hoping this is *very* cool

My partner Kerry works for AT&T.. He sent me this today:

This is the first time customers have been able to check voice mail in any order they want on a wireless phone in the United States.
Touch the voice mail icon on the iPhone screen and all your messages will appear in a list, just like email on a PC. Pick the message you want to listen or respond to first by touching it-iPhone automatically accesses that message.
It's even easier to return a call. Just select the message, tap the call-back button and iPhone automatically dials the person who called you.
Another cool feature allows customers to play back any part of a voice mail message without having to listen to the entire message again. For example, if someone leaves you a four-minute long message and you missed the phone number or address they mentioned, just slide the playback bar to any point in the message and replay it as many times as you want.

Pretty cool!

I really like all the new cell phones that are available these days. However, I despise all the cell phone companies equally. I haven't found one yet that didn't make me fell like I was getting hosed on the contract. Apparently, there's not enough competition in the cell phone service business.

I'd consider an iphone later this year but a reasonable cell phone contract will be what I shop for first...phone second.

I really like all the new cell phones that are available these days. However, I despise all the cell phone companies equally. I haven't found one yet that didn't make me fell like I was getting hosed on the contract. Apparently, there's not enough competition in the cell phone service business.

I'd consider an iphone later this year but a reasonable cell phone contract will be what I shop for first...phone second.

2X that! Gonna be a GREAT PHONE I think and will likely change the way we interface and use our phones in general. Of course the basic phone will always be there, but the high end is just getting better everyday!

I hate all the cell phone compaines equally too!

2X that! Gonna be a GREAT PHONE I think and will likely change the way we interface and use our phones in general. Of course the basic phone will always be there, but the high end is just getting better everyday!

I hate all the cell phone compaines equally too!

I'm going to go buy Apple stock because when James likes something a lot he buys seven of them! :)

I'm a new Apple junkie.. got an iBook last summer and now upgraded to the MacBook.
I was really considering the iPhone bat after some thought and going through as much information I cound get my hands on on the net, I opted for the BlackBerry Curve. I need a solid phone first, contacts, calenadar, email and everything else is gravy. The Curve suits me quite well.

I'm going to go buy Apple stock because when James likes something a lot he buys seven of them! :)

ROTFLMAO! You are SOOOOO RIGHT! I have 7 pair of Oakley M frames and 6 Oakley D1 watches and 18 pair of Piloti shoes!! Just a few of the things I REALLY LIKE! You have me PEGGED!

I'm becoming an Apple convert. I own a video Ipod, have a MacPro laptop on order and today just received the free Nano I ordered for my wife.

Interesting Apple story... my nephew just left to start college in Orlando (UCF) Sunday, taking his new mega$$ top-of-the-line-intensive-graphics-ready MacBook Pro with him. When he plugged in the printer, the computer totally FROZE, and wouldn't even reboot. Being a "reliable Apple" he had left his "rescue" disc and supporting documents at home. His father (my brother-in-law) had to drive from Orlando to Clearwater, and back, to salvage it! I understand the entire state of FL heard him cussing out Steve Jobs during the drive back.

The iPhone is certainly interesting, but it might take even Apple a couple product generations to get the kinks out. I'll keep using my trusty Palm Treo for the near term.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back