CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is!

Hey why looky here, what? is it possible? yes finally a tangible piece of gear! in my house!
Just picked these up at the dealer, Depth-i with CLX filter. They were inspected at the store and no damage!!!! woo hoooo.

Triumphance!

Our dark clouds parteth as etheral crepuscular rays shineth down... The shackels of poor freightmanship falleth away like dust.

The event doth inevitably approach!

Attachments

• imagesCAAZOQSV.jpg
    imagesCAAZOQSV.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
I also experianced the same resualts. I guess it's a synergy thing.

That does seem to be a not-uncommon experience. From a technical perspective though, I can't see why it would be so. Silver is the best electrical conductor of any base metal. Does that mean excellent conductance equals some sort of boost in the upper mids? Seems like a disconnect to me... so, I'm going into this with measured reason and as little preconception as possible. Wish my tympanic membranes good luck.

Attachments

• tympanic-membrane-picture.jpg
    tympanic-membrane-picture.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 441
I found with 1 silver ic in the system between cdp and pre, it was okay. When , I added the additional silver ic between the pre and amp imho it was unlistenable.

I use signal cable silver resolution series interconnects and speaker cables and it sounds great. Very neutral. Neither warm and mellow nor cold and harsh. No sibilance. Works in my system, but then I also have a heavily-treated room.

I have also experimented a bit with silver cables, mainly speaker cables, and I also found them to be far too bright so I went back to my trusty Harmonic Tech Pro-9 cables :)

I'm off to the local freight terminal right now to pick up the Easter Island statue sized packages. Wish me luck!

Thanks guys!

So far so good... a few minor scratches on the cardboard exterior, definitely no blatant penetration. Haven't looked inside yet... need to ring my chum Steve to help with de-trucking, inspection, and (fate willing) the last few yards of travel before these MOMA candidates are "home".

Will diligently keep you posted.

I use signal cable silver resolution series interconnects and speaker cables and it sounds great. Very neutral. Neither warm and mellow nor cold and harsh. No sibilance. Works in my system, but then I also have a heavily-treated room.

I have DH Labs silver IC's and speaker cable in my system. My room is a bit livelier than Rich's but I find the "silver equals bright" generalization to be false.

As George said, it's all about synergy. It's also likely that the "sound of silver" varies depending on the cable construction and manufacturer thereof.

GG

Last edited:
It's also likely that the "sound of silver" varies depending on the cable construction and manufacturer thereof.
GG

That's the way I view this as well. The sonic signature likely has a lot more to do with exactly how the cable was designed and built... so two differently constructed silver-based cables could sound quite different, just as there are sonic variations between differently constructed copper cables. Let's hope the WZA cables I just ordered don't sound like a detuned A minor trumpet blast one inch from my ears.

Looking forward to the pics! We're all living vicariously through you!

Here are exhibits "A" and "B"... I was able to carefully de-truck the coffins on my own. No trauma or drama (thankfully). But I'm not going to de-crate until strong-man Steve gets here. Peaking inside, I see no signs of any trouble, and I snuck a quick look under the black "sock"... and sure enough they are, amazingly, the Maple trim I ordered. Honestly, I would not have been surprised if they were aniline green or whatever. More news at eleven.

Cheers

Attachments

• CLX arrival 2.jpg
    CLX arrival 2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 275
  • CLX arrival 1.jpg
    CLX arrival 1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Excellent - the fun begins:) Hope there is more when I wake tomoz!

Enjoy Todd. The wait will have been worth it I'm sure.

They live!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome Todd...Finally.
You got em off the truck alone? not that heavy then. Good to know.

Last edited:
They live!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome Todd...Finally.
You got em off the truck alone? not that heavy then. Good to know.

Yep, not crazy heavy... I think each coffin is around 175lb. I will say though that hauling them upstairs, even with the help of my pal, took a bit more effort than I expected... but all that unpleasantness is behind me... in fact ALL the unpleasantness of the last ~7 weeks is at an end. They're set-up and sounding UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE! Pics and additional thoughts shortly.

Cheers

Awesome!
Did you bring the coffins upstairs or just the speakers?
Im curious because mine are going upstairs as well.

So out of the box, the sound is amazing?

Drum roll please....

and now for the unveiling... tah dahhhh

(will follow-up with thoughts etc in a bit).

Attachments

• CLX 12.jpg
    CLX 12.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 280
  • CLX 15.jpg
    CLX 15.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 283
  • CLX 13.jpg
    CLX 13.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 282
  • CLX 14.jpg
    CLX 14.jpg