CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As they await pickup.........................

Attachments

• clx.jpg
    clx.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 338
I know, the reality.......
Another good call today! My sub arrived in non damaged, non mashed potato condition. I will pick that up tomorrow morning. My CLX are shipping today. 5-7 days of brutal worrying....:duh:

I wish you guys the best of luck receiving your speakers damage free. Here's a pic of the crates my speakers were originally shipped in. Now, the only thing I worry about is termites!:D

1141623925_8bJHG-M.jpg

Actually, that's a good point. For better than twenty grand a pair, you would think ML could spring for something a little sturdier than cardboard for shipping.

Yea, I agree. $20k speakers should most definitely have crates or better than cardboard.

Actually, that's a good point. For better than twenty grand a pair, you would think ML could spring for something a little sturdier than cardboard for shipping.

Have to agree with you there. The other thing that bugs me about the CLX is the rather pedestrian finish of the crossover/transformer enclosure that forms the base of the speaker. For that kinda coin, I'd think piano-gloss would be standard. Oh well, at least we know the panels will last forever ;)

Yea, I agree. $20k speakers should most definitely have crates or better than cardboard.

Yeah, this wintery weather mixed with cardboard and uncaring couriers... pretty much a recipe for disintegration. Just got a box today from freight (something for the wife), and yet again, the box had obvious signs of water damage. Fortunately the item inside was unharmed.

Perhaps an all-out freight boycott is in order (after the CLXs are delivered, of course)

Yeah, this wintery weather mixed with cardboard and uncaring couriers... pretty much a recipe for disintegration. Just got a box today from freight (something for the wife), and yet again, the box had obvious signs of water damage. Fortunately the item inside was unharmed.

Perhaps an all-out freight boycott is in order (after the CLXs are delivered, of course)

When I received my CLX's two of the cardboard 4X4's on the bottom had been lost. Well one was lost and one was separated and floating around the truck. But everything felt better once the music was playing.

Gary

I was just feeling a bit nostalgic so thought I would meander back to the beginning of this thread... re-reading and reliving the moments (I know, pathetic). Anyway, the one pic I posted where I was using a paper cut-out to help gauge how the speaker would physically appear in the room... you know... and I immediately noted my comment - to the effect "I'll just sit on my hands for two weeks awaiting delivery...", and then my eyes traced over to the date of that post: 11/13... well, you can imagine the literal floor rolling that ensued. Do any of you watch Conan these days now that he's on TBS? He's had this character on called "Minty the candy cane that fell on the floor" (gotta love Conan). Anyway, that's essentially me, but with cat-hair and lint (as opposed to Minty's cigarette butts and pennies).

Jeeeze... really bottom-of-the-barrel stuff these days. Sorry about that. Just wringing my hands and biding my time - like some deluded evil scientist - while awaiting that very special hardware that will finally enable world dominance (or at least exceptional audio playback).

I will say that the new W4S DAC2 is breaking in very nicely. I've had it running pretty much non-stop since installation and it's been an absolute pleasure to live with. I'm thinking of asking it to marry me.

What else can I disgorge during this unrequested stream-of-consciousness diatribe?... Oh, I ordered some very interesting new silver analog interconnects. The EL Chupacabra ICs from White Zombie Audio (yes, really). Teflon insulated pure-silver single conductor tri-braided etc etc... looking forward to checking these things out. I have to assume they will be hellishly good. But of corpse, we'll see. I would have ordered their "Nosferatu" cables if for no other reason than they are, without question, the coolest sounding cables ever. However, the Nosferatus have been discontinued in favor of the El Chupacabras. Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it (... or will I? -- insert eery 3:00 am graveyard sounds here --)

Well enough time-wasting. Hope you folks all enjoy these last few remaining hours of 2010. Here's to your health! ... hic... and yes, if it wasn't blatantly obvious, this post was inspired, partially, by a little Sam Adams Imperial White - a lovely wheat brew with gravity not unlike that of a collapsed star.

-night

Last edited:
White Zombie Audio? As in Rob Zombie, of the band White Zombie and horror movies Rob Zombie? I gotta check these out!

Last edited:
White Zombie Audio? As in Rob Zombie, of the band White Zombie and horror movies Rob Zombie? I gotta check these out!

Don't know if there are any connections with Rob... but Tom over there at WZA is responsive, knowledgeable, and happy to take the time to answer any questions or just chat. At least that's been my experience so far. I should be getting the El Chupacabras in a week or so and will follow up with pics and thoughts after install. Plus for pure silver ICs, these are entirely affordable... and gotta love his tagline:

EXPERIENCE THE DELICIOUS LUXURY OF FULL FREQUENCY AUDIO http://www.whitezombieaudio.com/

Attachments

• ebayelchupa.jpg
    ebayelchupa.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
I always thought that the Chupacabra was a myth. What next, the Loch Ness cable?

Todd, I think it's time for you to return to the paper cut-out. :)

This thread makes me think freight in this country is alarmingly good.

It gets here very quickly, and I can honestly say I have never had to do an insurance claim on it, though I must admit someone I sent a Sony telly to did.

Sure there has been the odd dodgy incident where packages have been lobbed over my fence rather than going back to base, but that has only happened once or twice and the goods have survived.

Maybe I have just been lucky....

On no - I've just remembered.:D We went through three frieght damaged German Liebherr stainless steel fridges until the fourth one made it through. Stupidly inadequate packaging, I thought. The seller dealt with the problems.

Come to think of it - maybe it really isn't that good - but it certainly isn't poor in my experience.

Mind you - you guys have some real distances to contend with.

There you go - from alarmingly good to better than poor in one post.:) Problems with the bigger items, you will notice.

Last edited:
According to Christy at Yrc (Yellow Trucking), with whom I've just concluded a live e-chat, the electro-static-cargo is resting quietly at the local freight terminal here in town, having arrived late last night.

Of course, the terminal is closed today - of course - presumably taking their New Year holiday... though I suspect that they are in cahoots with the rest of the universe - making every attempt to delay delivery in the most creative and unforeseeable methods possible.

On the bright side however, and assuming there are no further eff-ups, dialing-in a new pair of CLX is a damn sweet way to kick off the new year. :)

(see Justin? - positivity!)

This thread makes me think freight in this country is alarmingly good.

It gets here very quickly, and I can honestly say I have never had to do an insurance claim on it, though I must admit someone I sent a Sony telly to did.

Sure there has been the odd dodgy incident where packages have been lobbed over my fence rather than going back to base, but that has only happened once or twice and the goods have survived.

Maybe I have just been lucky....

On no - I've just remembered.:D We went through three frieght damaged German Liebherr stainless steel fridges until the fourth one made it through. Stupidly inadequate packaging, I thought. The seller dealt with the problems.

Come to think of it - maybe it really isn't that good - but it certainly isn't poor in my experience.

Mind you - you guys have some real distances to contend with.

There you go - from alarmingly good to better than poor in one post.:) Problems with the bigger items, you will notice.

I know what you mean as I spoke with a manufacturer in europe and due to the damage here in the U.S. he had a box if you will made that you can drop from 3 feet and not ruin his equipment. Says a lot.

Happy New Year,
Bob

I tried silver cables once and found them to make the system bright. Let us know how you make out.

Cheers, Greg

On the bright side however, and assuming there are no further eff-ups, dialing-in a new pair of CLX is a damn sweet way to kick off the new year. :)

(see Justin? - positivity!)

Yes it is!

Hey why looky here, what? is it possible? yes finally a tangible piece of gear! in my house!
Just picked these up at the dealer, Depth-i with CLX filter. They were inspected at the store and no damage!!!! woo hoooo.

Attachments

• DepthI_CLX_filter.jpg
    DepthI_CLX_filter.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 237
Back