CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree - that was a curiously skewed comment from someone in his position. I suppose even the most consummate professional's veneer will crack revealing the black, seething torment within when faced with the inescapable cage-match that is this forum ;)

Well freaking said. But I certainly appreciated it

That's not even the half of it... we had a new propane gas fireplace installed on Tuesday (all pre-measured and assured accurate by the installer)... and of course the trim kit doesn't fit. So now we have a very industrial looking situation in our family room, just in time for our holiday guests to admire and covet.

I could go on about other headaches and measures of half-assedness - but it's really all quite tiresome at this point. I don't wish to subject everyone here to the seemingly unending parade of shite service we seem to be overly subjected to lately. One of these days I'll go under deep hypnosis to find out just what sort of murderous cad I must have been in a former life. :eek:

Welcome to the new world order of low wages paid to employees. As they say you get what you pay for.:devil:
Best of luck,
Bob

Ouch! If that's what they do to solid wood furniture, I can't imagine what they might do to a fragile pair of electrostatic speakers. :devil:

Oh, wait . . . never mind.

Ouch! If that's what they do to solid wood furniture, I can't imagine what they might do to a fragile pair of electrostatic speakers. :devil:

Oh, wait . . . never mind.

yep... it's not really a question of whether or not the speakers will be abused, it's more a question of to what level of torture they (and I) will be subjected. I've already pulled out the jumper cables and conductive gel... figure I might as well get a head-start - you know, desensitize a bit before the real punishment ensues.

Well, I'm sure it's a bright, new lovely day out there. And in a profound effort by the freight industry to turns things round as this thread has made the front page of most of the US national press, I predict the arrival of some unscathed new Martin Logan CLXs.

Did you get the joke?

:ROFL:

Honestly, though Todd - today it has to happen. It will happen. It is going to happen. Really. I'm a firm believer in positive thought resulting in a positive outcome. Feel the vibes emanating from overseas and your fellow Americans. Feel the love. The care. The understanding. The empathy.

Today... is the day.:)

Honestly, though Todd - today it has to happen. It will happen. It is going to happen. Really. I'm a firm believer in positive thought resulting in a positive outcome. Feel the vibes emanating from overseas and your fellow Americans. Feel the love. The care. The understanding. The empathy.

Today... is the day.:)

I appreciate the affirmative thought-waves... and indeed my soon-to-be-former-dealer has confirmed that the precious cargo is finally en route to Maine. If all goes well (LOL), delivery should happen early to mid next week... hmmmmm, deja-vu anyone?

Now it's a question of 2010 vs 2011 vs casting off all worldly possessions and living out the rest of my years as a recluse (a thought that has not infrequently surfaced)

Now it's a question of 2010 vs 2011 vs casting off all worldly possessions and living out the rest of my years as a recluse (a thought that has not infrequently surfaced)

Well get yourself a Tumbleweed home, find a remote spot and you're good to go.

mobile-trailers_9.jpg

Oh well I tried. Must be some bad karma knocking out the positive waves somewhere over the Atlantic.

Put it to the back of your mind and enjoy Xmas!

Oh well I tried. Must be some bad karma knocking out the positive waves somewhere over the Atlantic.

Put it to the back of your mind and enjoy Xmas!

Fear not User211 - for I have in my arsenal a secret weapon. A weapon so powerful, it vanquishes virtually all darkness and despair. I call this mighty weapon "proper perspective". While journaling these various mishaps might seem to have negatively impacted my general outlook, on the contrary - I find sharing these minor calamities quite enjoyable. I only hope the levity shines through in each post (well, most posts anyway;)).

Cheers and a bright Boxing Day to you fine sir!

Attachments

• boxingday.jpg
    boxingday.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 486
What the...???? It's here, it's here!!!

Oh, wait, no... thats a...

In this case, the local freight company called me this am with "we have it, we're about 5 miles away, we'll drop it off on Monday"... yeah, right. I drove down there and picked it up just now. And guess what? Only two forklift slice-holes through the box... that doesn't seem so bad. At least it still looks like a box, right?

... The night terrors are getting more severe... (shudder)

..and I thought you were going to tell us it was a lamp in the shape of a womans leg...geeze what was I thinking...?

I gotta get off this site...it's Christmas eve for goodness sakes...night all, merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all...

Update,

My new CLX have arrived at the Dealer. Now next for the re-delivery......I shutter.... just thinking about it.

You guys should tell your respective dealers the "check is in the mail" after delivery!! Probably didn't work that way, but it would have been nice to say it!!

Gordon

Update,

My new CLX have arrived at the Dealer. Now next for the re-delivery......I shutter.... just thinking about it.

Congrats Pete... well, advanced-congrats anyway. Full-blown congrats once they are safely set-up and sonorously singing sweetly in your superb system as you seriously savor their salaciously seductive sounds. It's all about the sibilance.

On my end, I e-chatted with Yrc (Yellow freight) yesterday. My cargo is now really and truly en-route with expected delivery this Friday - or Monday if weather and other factors impede travel... but it's not like anything could possibly go wrong.

BTW, I also received and installed a W4S DAC2 yesterday (readying the system for the CLX install). All I can say is "Holy Shiiit!". The improvements are anything but subtle. A much more coherent sound. Transients are amazing, the highs sparkle, the lows are tight like a nun's... well, you know. In addition, Santa brought me a couple of Subdude iso-platforms for the twin F112 subs. At $60 a pop, they are so magically delicious, I'm told Lucky Charms will be introducing a new Subdude shaped marshmallow bit while simultaneously retiring that infuriating clover. 'Bout time! ;)

Cheers

..and I thought you were going to tell us it was a lamp in the shape of a womans leg...geeze what was I thinking...?

"Fra-gee-lay... hmmm, must be italian". Of course my teenage kids equate my general ineptness to that of Old Man Parker from that movie. They especially enjoy my streaming of semi-coherent expletives whenever anything goes wrong with our furnace (which, thankfully, is no where near as often as things going wrong with deliveries and shipments in general).

Oh, BTW, on that abused TV console above. I got a call from CSN (the online store) and they said "we'll send you a new one and knock $75 off the price if you just keep/deal-with the damaged item you have now". While I don't feel especially good about the throw-away society we find ourselves in these days, I was more than pleased that the local Goodwill store happily received the console and will likely make some decent cash on the thing. Since it did only have that one puncture and it was on the side, I assume someone could readily cover the ugliness with a nice "Palin 2012" sticker and... wait, no... just more ugliness. Well, anywho... the darn thing (hopefully) won't end up in a landfill any time soon.

Last edited:
I also received and installed a W4S DAC2 yesterday (readying the system for the CLX install). All I can say is "Holy Shiiit!". The improvements are anything but subtle. A much more coherent sound. Transients are amazing, the highs sparkle, the lows are tight like a nun's... well, you know.

Todd, tell me more about this wonderful DAC? Maybe a mini review after its broken in? I'm strongly considering the DAC1.....

Todd, tell me more about this wonderful DAC? Maybe a mini review after its broken in? I'm strongly considering the DAC1.....

It's breaking in now. Running SPDIF from my Olive 04HD via instrumentation-grade 75 Ohm coax to the DAC2 - then analog out to the Prima Luna Dialogue 3 pre via Morrow Audio Grand Reference ICs.

I'm "stuck" here in the office today (i.e. home office where my 2-channel system also happens to reside) writing end-of-year performance reviews. So, while slinging out the obligatory "great communication" and "needs further product training" tripe, er, I mean constructive commentary, I've got the DAC2 processing away. Firing up all that electronic glory - aligning atomic structures and their associated nano e-fields and b-fields... optimizing current flow in all the most meaningful numerical and post-processed domains.

I have the DAC2 currently converting some Charles Avison (Concerti Grossi) and doing a damn fine job of it as well. There is no question that it's a startling step-up from the Olive's analog outputs. Really no contest. So that alone has me thrilled with the purchase. It could be a tad strident out of the box... but frankly it sounds wonderful to me. I just can't wait to graft the CLXs into the system in place of the Maggie MG12s. The MG12s are functional and perhaps even musical... but they are nonetheless temporary, so any audio critiquing is, like my driver's license in the distant past, suspended for the next several days.

If third party reviews and W4S's own manual are any indication, I've got at least 100 hours of solid burn-in time anyway before any serious listening could possibly take place (perish the thought of not rigidly conforming ;)) So with any luck, I'll hit that magically transcendent one-hundredth hour coincident with the arrival of the CLXs... an arrival so breathtakingly momentous, that I now equate the sheer majesty to Handel's Arrival of the Queen of Sheeba. Man, I veer off track way too easily.

Anyway, I would be happy to provide further impressions in a week or so after things are (hopefully) humming along with the various components, cables, atomic domains, and OCD tendencies all in their right places.

BTW, if you do opt for the DAC1 and end up buying new from W4S, Jan over there is absolutely wonderful! Friendly, great communication, everything you want in service before/during/after the sale.

Cheers

Attachments

• dac2 007.jpg
    dac2 007.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
The unit described below uses the same ESS chip as in the w4s unit does anyone have any experience with it it sells for $750 just curious??

The Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC may be the finest Digital to Analog Converter on the market today. Incorporating the ESS Technology 9018 32 bit DAC chip eliminates the discussion that digital has a long way to go before it can ever become the standard against analog playback. With the Dynamic Range of 129dB,and a staggering Frequency Response from 15Hz-32KHz every note is beautifully portrayed. This is a true high resolution DAC with 24 Bit/96kHz sampling.

Many early digital recordings while considered being State Of The Art back then upon their release were in fact just in their infancy of superior playback in the digital realm.Today’s technology far exceeds what was thought possible even 5 years ago. Into the future we embark with Eastern Electric leading the way.

The Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC was engineered with the best of both worlds envisioned with its output being selectable between Tube and solid state. A 12au7 tube was employed in the amplification stage not just as a tube buffer for a true tube output. The results, are stunning realism presented in vocals, wood bodied and brass instruments. Deep articulate bass with silky extended highs. Alex Yeung and his team engineered this DAC to bring you the absolute best in digital playback. This is the future of what is possible!

With its four digital inputs besides the USB input you will be covered using just about any source on the market today.
With Sampling rates of 32bit,32KHz,44.1KHz,48KHz and 192KHz all formats of digital conversion are at your finger tips. Worried about a recording not being in phase, worry no more as the MiniMax DAC has Phase In and Phase out select ability

The unit described below uses the same ESS chip as in the w4s unit does anyone have any experience with it it sells for $750 just curious??

Srajan compares the minimax with the w4s dac2 and the weiss... and conveniently positions the relative performance rating of each on par with the relative pricing... (i.e. W4S topping the EE and Weiss topping the W4S)

Coincidence? Dunno, but an interesting read at any rate.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/easternelectric/dac_3.html

Latest posts

Back