CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C'mon Todd, why stop now? get the filters! ;)
Yes with the filter you really dont even know the Sub is there at all, it sounds like the bass is just "there". I got my filter from my dealer.

here is a question ... what does the filter do? once it is in - is there still as much flexibility with the sub? Lets suppose you want it to sound 'tubby' can you do it with the filter in - or does the filter just give you a preferred setting for the CLX which could be dialed in by ear anyway???

here is a question ... what does the filter do? once it is in - is there still as much flexibility with the sub? Lets suppose you want it to sound 'tubby' can you do it with the filter in - or does the filter just give you a preferred setting for the CLX which could be dialed in by ear anyway???

My guess is that it's a fixed cutoff with a carefully shaped slope, period. You can still change phase and master volume... though I'm not sure about the 25Hz adjustment.

Necrosuit, does the 25Hz knob do anything after the mystery filter is inserted?

I will say I miss the user-selectable slope control on the JL subs.

Hey guys,

yes all the knobs still produce different elements as you move them after the filter is installed. the 25Hz absolutely does still work and is very noticeable,
I currently have mine at +6 on volume but -6db on the 25Hz and soon as I move the 25Hz knob, the bass changes right away.

actual sound!

Hey Folks,

I finally got around to uploading an iPhone movie of my system in action... the tune is "Mona Lisa" by Tommy Emmanuel from his "Live One" release.

I'm surprised at how well the iPhone captured the audio, and not surprised at how subpar the video came out. Sorry about that, but it was a one-take deal with no real emphasis on production quality (maybe someday I'll make the effort).

Cheers

Last edited:
Nice one Todd. The mic in the phone does well recording me playing the acoustic -> playing it back through the hi-fi. It's not brill, but it is pretty good for what it is.

It certainly beats the mic in my Samsung camera, which is rubbish, TBH.

Anyway, sounded nice through my M&Ds just now.

Very cool indeed. Hey Todd what settings you got your subs at?

Hey Folks,

I finally got around to uploading an iPhone movie of my system in action... the tune is "Mona Lisa" by Tommy Emmanuel from his "Live One" release.

I'm surprised at how well the iPhone captured the audio, and not surprised at how subpar the video came out. Sorry about that, but it was a one-take deal with no real emphasis on production quality (maybe someday I'll make the effort).

Cheers
Todd, those CLX's sound amazing through my computer speakers. Maybe I should ditch my ML's in favour of my computer speakers ? Easier to drive, too. :)

gotta say, an interesting read.

I read most of this thread tonight...thx for sharing the experience...note to self, never use UPS shipping for large/heavy itmes!...:(

Just getting back into audio equipment after a long layoff...got my friend to sell me back the ML CLS's(thats right the grandmother to the CLX's haha) I sold to him years ago.

The thing I have noticed about the CLS's is this...to me, it has alot more bass than people would believe...and tight bass too...so much that I have never used it with a SW.

But this time I am going completely comtempo and bypassing the turntable and CD transport...going strictly with music from hard drive(lossless) and going USB asynchrous to SPDIF out to DAC and then to pre/amp/speakers.

Should be another journey my wife will hate :eek::eek:

Last edited:
Todd - have you tried Audiotools + the FFT analyser for your iPhone?

The mic is good enough for sub alignment, and will make you feel secure you've got a reasonably flat(ish) response. Surprisingly after I did mine, my Descent stays on the same settings. But it hardly gets used these days. It's usually a mood thing - for when I need excessive bass - usually after a drink or three, when the settings can become inherently non-linear:D

Shove some pink noise through the system and post an FR plot. I'd love to see it. Really I would. Don't panic if you don't get a flat response, because, well - you won't!.

If you're not sure what to do I can guide you via PM or on this thread.

BTW: don't feel pressured to post an FR plot - that's not the intention. I just think Audiotools provides some nice insight and is fun to use. You will learn something, probably for the good.

Last edited:
BTW: don't feel pressured to post an FR plot - that's not the intention. I just think Audiotools provides some nice insight and is fun to use. You will learn something, probably for the good.

No pressure at all... and I appreciate the prompting. I've been giving this some thought and will continue to look into it.

Cheers

It seems like 30hz would be quite low for a speaker that rolls off at 50hz?

Hola...this roll off is not like a brick falling down...you still have nice low frequency info below 40Hz with the CLXs...and it is better quality bass than quantity bass. This is to my ears...happy listening,
Roberto.

Hey guys,

been awhile, heres an updated image of my latest setup.
Its the LSA Statement amp with the AMR CD 77.1 CDP with Avatar Acoustics mods. I also have some MBL 8011AM monos coming.....This setup right now is sounding very amazing....

Oh yes, I emailed Tomdac to update my image profile, heres the image Tom! thanks

Attachments

• CLX_LSA_AMR.jpg
    CLX_LSA_AMR.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 394
  • AMR.jpg
    AMR.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
What do you think of the AMR? I'm seriously thinking about the 777...

What mods were done to your player exactly?

Thanks.

The reason I purchased this player was because my dad has it and Ive listened to it many times and its just simply amazing, very detailed and dynamic! big stage and depth. I have not heard the 777.

Im not exactly sure what the mods are, I know they cost a bunch and are proprietary and not revealed.

My dad got the CD 77, then had it upgraded to 77.1 which was a very nice upgrade, then had the Avatar mod done which took it to a whole new level, then he added the Bendix 6900 triode tubes and that again made the player even better. Its the best ive ever heard.
So I followed suit, I just got my Bendix tubes last week. Each upgrade requires 3-400 hours of break in time.

Back