CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Todd and Folks,

I just got a Decent i and am testing between the Depth i, already I like the Decent better due to having more control over frequencies. I was able to get this sub to a much better balanced sound quickly:D

So it looks like I might have to put my New Depth i up on Agon!
Just got the warranty card too.

I've tried three times now to get rid of my Descent... but I can't:D

Basically, 90% of the time it is off - because when it is on it is just too much - unless you're in the mood for "too much" - usually after a drink or two.

The problem is when off, it acts as a passive sub. And when it isn't there I know it. And need it back again.:)

Anyway Necro - I've been speaking to the AMR dealer and got this press release. It looks interesting to me. Very interesting. In fact, if the price is right it might be the one. The press release is hot and only came out on the 27th of March.

"High-Definition (HD) digital audio is redefining the quality of recorded audio for the 21st Century. Having produced some of the most realistic and natural music sources on the CD standard, AMR has turned its attention to High-Definition audio and once again, taken the road less travelled.

Our first objective was to deliver the maximum quality of music from the existent libraries of CD standard audio (be it on silver disks or as ripped lossless files) equally balanced with the requirement to also deliver the maximum sound quality from the new HD audio formats. We meticulously auditioned the full array of HD DAC chipsets and whittled the field down to one of the latest and most outstanding HD chipsets.

The standard textbook approach was discarded as we applied the same assiduous design and implementation as in the multi-award winning CD-77 to unleash the full, latent potential of the HD format. Each stage of the signal path is a technical magnum opus focused on one objective: the most enchanting and vibrant performance. The result is the DP-777 Digital Processor.

The DP-777 has the same, unparalleled DNA as other AMR components; it boasts truly extraordinary digital advancements never seen before in any converter:

1. Gemini Digital Engine (GDE)* Unlike any other converter, at the core of the Gemini Digital Engine, there is not one, but 2 distinct chipsets that define their generation; one latest generation High-Definition 32-Bit DAC to produce the best sound from HD recordings and one Classic Multibit 16-Bit DAC to produce the best sound from CD. These two ‘non-identical twins’ deliver the best of both worlds in a way that is simply unmatched. Further, the Gemini Digital Engine pushes these chipsets beyond what is thought possible. Using Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) and Digital Signal Processing (DSP) to handle the core digital duties, including the memory buffer and managing all the signal processing, we have in effect, created own DAC chipsets that perform and function at the leading-edge.

2. Zero Jitter Mode* The Zero Jitter Mode utilises our completely innovative Global Master Timing (GMT)* and Intelligent Memory System (IMS) to totally eliminate jitter originating from the source. AMR’s Global Master Timing clock system intelligently actualises over 28 million different real-time clock frequencies to exactly match the dynamic input clock e.g. 192,000.001Hz or 192,000.002Hz of the source. Coupled to the Intelligent Memory System (IMS), the GMT/IMS system block out source jitter once and for all.

3. 192kHz Asynchronous USB Input The DP-777’s true 192kHz Asynchronous USB Audio Class 2.0 Input effects a genuine asynchronous decoupling of the DAC system clock from the computer.

4. HD Valve Digital Input (HD-VDI)* This is AMR’s unusual brainchild of using an New Old Stock (NOS) valve designed to operate into several 100Mhz to amplify and purify the high-definition SPDIF signal with zero feedback. Clearly visible on an oscilloscope, with HD-VDI, the signal changes from a blurred to clean and sharp square wave. As result, any deficiency in the incoming SPDIF is hereby totally removed.

5. OptiValve Output Stage Two NOS valves perform the left and right channel analogue amplification and output buffering duties using the same demanding approach as the CD-77/CD-777; where one half amplifies and the other half buffers without any negative loop feedback. No solid-state devices are present in the signal path.

6. High-End, Direct-Coupled Pre-Amplifier The DP-777 is also a direct-coupled/buffered analogue pre-amplifier capable of accepting two analogue sources in addition to the signal internal to the DP-777. The DP-777 has an exceptionally precise 71-step resistor matrix-based Analogue Volume Control (AVC) system that delivers unmatched transparency. To attain the highest sound quality, no digital volume control is used whatsoever.
"

That looks like a very nice product to me - even after reading through the marketing hype. Just keeping my fingers crossed on the price, hoping it isn't more than I am prepared to pay.

Hey Todd and Folks,

I just got a Decent i and am testing between the Depth i, already I like the Decent better due to having more control over frequencies. I was able to get this sub to a much better balanced sound quickly:D

So it looks like I might have to put my New Depth i up on Agon!
Just got the warranty card too.

Funny you mention that... I love, love, loved the Summit X bass control. It was the best sounding (and feeling) bass I've experienced in this room to date. I may also have to move to the Descent (you bastard! ;)

Funny you mention that... I love, love, loved the Summit X bass control. It was the best sounding (and feeling) bass I've experienced in this room to date. I may also have to move to the Descent (you bastard! ;)

Yup!, your welcome Todd :p
You will see the Depth i up on Agon later today.

I've tried three times now to get rid of my Descent... but I can't:D

Basically, 90% of the time it is off - because when it is on it is just too much - unless you're in the mood for "too much" - usually after a drink or two.

The problem is when off, it acts as a passive sub. And when it isn't there I know it. And need it back again.:)

Anyway Necro - I've been speaking to the AMR dealer and got this press release. It looks interesting to me. Very interesting. In fact, if the price is right it might be the one.

Howdy,
Yea the Decent i has much more presence then the depth i but just having the extra controls really helped in my small room and I am enjoying the mix very much! I already listed my Depth i on Agon.

Which AMR dealer are you talking to?
I have now got over 300 hours of break in time on my AMR and its hands down quite amazing!
very very enjoyable.
I pickup my MBL 8011Am monos Saturday and my Thor TA-1000 pre shipped today!
Gonna be another fun month!!!!:D

Howdy,
Yea the Decent i has much more presence then the depth i but just having the extra controls really helped in my small room and I am enjoying the mix very much! I already listed my Depth i on Agon.
Necro, I could not remember your system, so went to the link....time for new pictures.

Hey Bernard,

I am getting a bunch of new gear this coming weekend and will submit a new image for viewing!
My PM doesnt seem to work any more, I will try to contact Tom Sunday to update!

Howdy,

Which AMR dealer are you talking to?
I have now got over 300 hours of break in time on my AMR and its hands down quite amazing!
very very enjoyable.
I pickup my MBL 8011Am monos Saturday and my Thor TA-1000 pre shipped today!
Gonna be another fun month!!!!:D

Yup your Decent I has a different job to do than mine, and I'm sure it goes well with the CLX, but I haven't actually heard the CLX with Descents.

Dealer is Select Audio here in the UK. The DAC is available in 3-4 weeks time price at £3295.

Ref the AMR and the MBL amps/Thor etc - that is one serious system you have there. Enjoy!!!! Please post pics when all that clobber is up and running!!!:):):)

Yup your Decent I has a different job to do than mine, and I'm sure it goes well with the CLX, but I haven't actually heard the CLX with Descents.

Dealer is Select Audio here in the UK. The DAC is available in 3-4 weeks time price at £3295.

Ref the AMR and the MBL amps/Thor etc - that is one serious system you have there. Enjoy!!!! Please post pics when all that clobber is up and running!!!:):):)
Yeah and I have to go with him to get his equipment;)

My wife did say I created a monster but he is a good one:D

Best,
Bob

Hey Bernard,

I am getting a bunch of new gear this coming weekend and will submit a new image for viewing!
My PM doesnt seem to work any more, I will try to contact Tom Sunday to update!

Congrats on this major upgrade in virtually all components! Can't wait to hear your thoughts once it's all "clobbered up" (is that what Justin said ?? ;)

BTW, I got my ModWrights and they are absolutely incredible... interestingly though, and it'll come to no surprise to anyone who's followed this thread, the shipped my two KWA-150SE amps (serial numbers 9 and 10), but they goofed and put the "non-SE" faceplate on SN9. WTF. So of course I want it fixed... so back to the factory for them to correct the problem. So I sit here once again in the cold musicless interstellar void. Might get it back in 10 days, might not :(

Oh well, at least it sounded phenominal while it was "clobbered up".

Once it's back, I'll snap some shots and post.

Cheers all :)

Wow that sucks Todd. I'm surprised Dan wright didn't come up with something for you. How many hours did u have on them. Compare them to the dialogue 7s.

Wow that sucks Todd. I'm surprised Dan wright didn't come up with something for you. How many hours did u have on them. Compare them to the dialogue 7s.

Hey Timm,

Because the KWA-150SEs are bridgeable stereo amps (of which I have two), and because refitting with the new faceplate (actually the entire front chassis needs to be swapped out), Dan just sent UPS here to pick up the amp and whisk it away for a priority retrofit. I still have one amp which, under normal circumstances, I could use as a stereo solution... however, because the birds of fate have decided to collectively crap on my audio parade, I don't currently have cable lengths that will allow a stereo amp configuration... of course.

I could pull out some crap cables from days gone by, but I'd rather just wait and play the catsup song on my computer speakers.

Oh, and I had like 4 hours on the KWA amps. I unboxed them at night with relatively low light and didn't notice the faceplate issue till the next day (black inset text on black metal in a dark room, plus poor/aging vision, and any other excuse I can think of ;))... so they were up and running for exactly one audio session.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hm... not so much Modwright, more Modwrong!;)

In a fit of non-audiophile craziness... you could fit some bell wire from the DIY store. In the trendy audiophile fashion accessory world bell wire is the new Nordost Odin, or so I hear:D

Anyway, bad luck Todd. Pretty frustrating, but by the sound of things it'll be worth the wait. I was going to ask you if they'd turned up yet.

tsv_1

why don't you just pull out your crap cables and enjoy your CLX's while you are waitng for the exchange no need to not lsiten to them becasue it is a stereo amp. Then you will enjoy them more when you receive you other amp. happy listening.

why don't you just pull out your crap cables and enjoy your CLX's while you are waitng for the exchange no need to not lsiten to them becasue it is a stereo amp. Then you will enjoy them more when you receive you other amp. happy listening.

Because I'm a sick and twisted individual, that's why ;)

Actually, I've been traveling a lot lately (thus my relatively low profile here) and I have more travel coming right up. The rectified amp should be back close to the same time I'm back home for a while. Add to this how hellishly lazy I am, a perverse and entirely unjustified fear and loathing of stereo amps, and a strange masochistic tendency... and there you have it. :)

Cheers

How do you like the BDP 93? I just received my BDP-95 yesterday, but won't be able to get it hooked up for a few more days (as I have non-audiophile relatives visiting this week :mad:). I'm looking forward to trying some 24/192 tracks via the USB, as my Squeezebox Touch is limited to 24/96. Can't wait to see (er, hear) if there is a significant difference.

I think my view on digital sources these days (as with so many other things in life) is a sort of hybrid or compromise. While moving to a server was nothing short of a revelation wrt ease of access and genuinely incredible sound, I have not fully abandoned the archaic ;) That is to say, a single disc player either in the form of a digital transport or a stand-alone CDP. In fact, I just added an Oppo BDP-93 (as a transport) to my two channel setup for SACD playback.

Having said that, I've owned a boatload of different CDPs over the years and there is no doubt in my mind that 16/44.1 can sound phenominal. I've not heard Necro's AMR but I have no doubt it's a stellar performer.

Of course this whole discussion is nothing but a hollow dream for me as I await delivery of my amps from ModWright... like solitary confinement, but the sentence should be commuted soon.

Cheers

How do you like the BDP 93? I just received my BDP-95 yesterday, but won't be able to get it hooked up for a few more days (as I have non-audiophile relatives visiting this week :mad:). I'm looking forward to trying some 24/192 tracks via the USB, as my Squeezebox Touch is limited to 24/96. Can't wait to see (er, hear) if there is a significant difference.

Hey Sleepy,

As a transport via HDMI, it's doing just fine so far. Responsive, fast loading, attractive, and seems to send out all the bits in the right order ;) I'm using it almost exclusively for SACD playback (internally converting DSD to 24/88.2 LPCM). Sounds glorious. Really, I have no regrets at all in making the purchase.

Let us know what you think of the 95 once you get'er up and runnin'. And good luck with those relatives of yours ;)

Cheers

Does that price include the 77.1 upgrade?
Or is it the 77?

yes, my system has changed much over the last few months and here is the latest image. So far I am really enjoying the new components, but Im only through a few disks and we will see where it all ends up. Where I picked up the amps this weekend was amazing for me and Bobf, they guy had 6 audition rooms and had a room with the YG Acoustic Anat III with some $100k amps!! Simply amazing place. Very enjoyable :D

Tom or any moderator looking, please note that my PM has not worked in quite some time now and I cant seem to email anybody either. I would like for my system pic to be updated to this image below! thanks all.

Attachments

• Full_stereo_image_4_10_11.jpg
    Full_stereo_image_4_10_11.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 220
  • MBL_THOR_close.jpg
    MBL_THOR_close.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 220
Does that price include the 77.1 upgrade?
Or is it the 77?

No, it's a new DAC as per the press release on the previous page of this thread. It is the same price as the 777 i.e. quite a bit cheaper than the 77.1.

Anyway, hope the MBLs etc blend well with the CLXs. Thanks for posting the pics. Happy listening!!!

Back