Classe SSP-800 arrived!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Statman

Reaction score
I just want to mention that I have been very impressed so far with the 2 channel performance of this Preamp/processor. I had briefly spent around 5 hours at a dealer to try and get an idea of how it sounded with both CD's and Blu ray discs. Based on that audition I ended up ordering one from a different dealer after the original wouldn't settle on my offer to him out the door. I am rediscovering my CD collection again! The unit is still breaking in and began sounding better ( soundstage opening up with both width and front to back depth) after listening to it for two days so far. I had read all of the reports about how good it sounded in 2 channel, it is not hype at all!

The unit is/was not cheap and I believe this sets a new record for me as far as buying a more expensive preamp than what my Audio Research LS25 MKII had cost. Oh by the way I sold the AR and my Denon 3808 to buy the Classe SSP-800. Some of you are probably saying what, you sold your AR LS25 MKII? To be honest I do not miss it at all. I have been in the process of finally turning my system into a high end multi channel system anyway. There were some minor tradeoffs as far as sound comparisons. The AR has a slightly wider soundstage and has a bit more sweetness and air in the mids than the Classe does but not by much.The Audio Research also uses two 6H30 tubes which really helps in the presentation. The SSP-800 is so quiet it's eerie. It has an amazing amount of detail retrieval but is not harsh or bright when listening to music. I started to play several BD to demo the system.

If you have not heard what the new codecs, Dolby Tru HD or DTS HD master audio discs sound like on a good system prepared to be amazed at how far we've advanced in this very short time. I thought that I had been impressed with my Denon 3808 with movie/concert video playback but I've stepped up to another level now.I have read that the SSP-800 was designed by the head engineer that was employed at Madrigal when the Proceed AVP and later Mark Levinson No 40 were at the top of the HT food chain. It definitely shows that the gap is closing and some manufacturers are listening to our requests for musical processors.

I wonder why Classe chose not to have such a high end unit do any video processing? Glad you are finding the audio performance of it pleasing to your ears..

I wonder why Classe chose not to have such a high end unit do any video processing? Glad you are finding the audio performance of it pleasing to your ears..

Tom,

The reasoning I have been told is that most people are viewing either Blu ray which doesn't require additional processing or HD thru cable or satellite which requires no additional processing. Only SD sources would require it. I don't view that much SD material on my HT I have a Plasma in another room for that function. That set gets most of the normal TV viewing anyway. The top priority was getting the audio to sound good.

Good to hear you like the Classe.

Wish I would have seen your LS25-MKII for sale. I would have snatch that up in a heartbeat.

Good to hear you like the Classe.

Wish I would have seen your LS25-MKII for sale. I would have snatch that up in a heartbeat.

DTB,

Sorry about that. It was posted on Audiogon and fortunately a buyer also here in California ended up with it! Great preamp, especially with a good set of tubes.

More to follow!

Approaching the recommended 300 hour break-in period by Classe. I have noticed a change for the better in regards to soundstaging and layering of the instuments that was missing last week! This unit has so much detail It's amazing.

Let me get this straight. You spent 5 hours at a dealer auditioning a piece. Then went to another dealer for purchase. No wonder the second guy gave you deal you liked. You didn't take up 5 hours of his time and could afford to skim a bit off the top.

How much is 5 hours of your time at work worth? And we lament the fact that B&M stores are going out of business. I'm truly amazed.

Gordon

Wait a minute Judge Gordon don't take it personally there's more to the story!

Were you there with me Gordon? I told the 1st dealer I wanted to audition it since we had already communicated several times prior to that meeting.We would discuss an "out the door price" after the audition. He said no problem and left me alone in the room. There were no other customers there and he was doing his normal thing out front. Regarding the second dealer whom was actually the first dealer I phoned and mentioned I was looking for the same product line but he said he didn't have it on display since they do primarily high end custom installations. He has the Classe amps but had not ordered any 800's yet. I found out about him willing to work out a deal lower than 1st dealer a week after I left the first dealer. I guess since he's also trying to make a living running a B&M store I shouldn't go to him since he didn't give me the runaround for 5 hours on an out the door price" like the first dealer attempted! I guess what I'm saying is the first dealer whom I took up his time for 5 hours should have just been straight forward from my first offer. I also don't respond to pressure sales like I only have one in stock (that unit still required the dual DSP update) they're a hot item,etc,etc! I have been in this hobby for over 33 years and during that time I have acquired too many friends who are also authorized dealers for many different brands so I know the game. When you sign my paycheck then please tell me what to do with it.:rolleyes: I absolutely love the unit.

Last edited:
Back