Cable differences at the source level

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanDaRo

Reaction score
The title says it all... Speaker cables differences and pre-to-main cable tests have been well-documented. But many audio guys say that the best sound comes from a system built from the source up. So with that ideology in mind.....Tested a couple sets of cables with a buddy tonight.

For the last several months, I have been stuck with using a 4' set of M850 Monster Cable interconnects between my CD player and preamp. After deciding to re-locate my preamp with respect to the sources and place each amp right next to it's respectively driven speaker with short bi-wired runs of reputable cable, a test of relative benefits was in order.

Like any true audiophile, I have a "box" of goodies. It includes cables of all description, crimp fittings, rejected components, and what-nots of all application. To satisfy the WAF and practical concerns, I have been using a 4' set of Monster M850 between the CD and Pre for a while as my last set of Siltech 4-80 was only 0.75 meter and just didn't reach comfortably.

Well things have changed. So instead of just swapping in the high-dollar jobbies and "omni-domni" that the change was for the better, I invited a couple friends over. Neither of which, I should point out, is an audiophile. They are both regular guys, happy in their Kenwood and Sony sound systems. According to them, my rig is excessive, expensive , and maintenance-heavy. I offer no argument to this thinking...

Listening tests started with The Canadian Brass, Steve Winwood, David Benoit, and Judas Priest classic head banging tracks. This was followed by some critical tests by the XLO, and Stereophile test disks. All the while we alternated cables after every song. And even after playing many songs back-to-back and test tracks ad nauseum, the clear winner was the Siltech 4-80 interconnect.

Outstanding points were the resolution of midrange detail -- the raspiness of a sax, or the brassy sound of the Steinway pianos. Comments about the impact, tonal definition of the bass lines and crispness of tubas and trombones were big talking points.

All listeners equally agreed upon the sound staging, definition of instruments and "outer edges" clarity that the Siltechs offered over the Monsters. So even at several times the cost, would your average Joe kick up the dough for the difference if they heard?? -- The results were mixed on that issue, but the overall sentiment was that the Siltech cables were a substantial improvement upon the "audiophile-grade" Monster Cable offerings.

This is not to say that Monster has a lousy product, or doesn't offer an upgrade to the RadioShack wires...They do. But they simply cannot compare to an audiophile designed, maximum performance cable like the pure silver "inevitable link" Siltech 4-80.

The differences stated above were not subtle, and thus I offer a showdown to all of you non-believers in cabling impacts -- I strongly encourage all Martin Logan Owners Club audiophiles in the northern Ohio/Southern Michigan area to take me up on this "Pepsi challenge". So unless you, personally, have any remaining doubts then the old Monster jobbies, they are going back in "the box" until called upon.... And as an added benefit, I will provide all the steak and beer that any MLO challengers to my conclusions can consume in an afternoon -- so it should make for a hell of a good party, with great music....

~VDR

Last edited:
Steak :cool:Beer :cool:Music :cool: Your in MI, I may take you up on that !

Try the DH Labs "Revelation". I'm auditioning one now between my CJ and Cary. At the price / performance, a serious contender.

Can't comment on Monster. Like many members, left that camp a long time ago.

As an aside, I don't believe anyone who is serious about their system (on this forum and others) ascribes to the "cables don't make a difference" philosophy.

GG

Last edited:
Forget MC...you need to make your "pepsi challenge " into some real fun by facing off different types and brands of high end cables, where the differences are subtle but meaningful....now that's fun!

As an aside, I don't believe anyone who is serious about their system (on this forum and others) ascribes to the "cables don't make a difference" philosophy.

GG

Yeah, I agree, but for some free steak, beer and tunes I'd be willing to "fake it" and have a grand epiphony.

"Yeah, that sounds really great -mmmmnnn, mmmnnnn, hey, can you pass the mushrooms?" (imagine face stuffed to the gills and scraps of food falling out)

Yeah, I agree, but for some free steak, beer and tunes I'd be willing to "fake it" and have a grand epiphony.

"Yeah, that sounds really great -mmmmnnn, mmmnnnn, hey, can you pass the mushrooms?" (imagine face stuffed to the gills and scraps of food falling out)
LMAO HARD !

Back