Denafrips

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I am a sucker for tweaks. I have recently found some that have materially enhanced my enjoyment of music that I would like to commend to the group. I am always trying to improve the sound of my digital sources because I am lazy and would rather do Roon from my couch than get up and turn over my record! My PS Audio Direct Stream Memory Player has been by far my best sounding digital source and I use the I2S over HDMI connection between it and my PS Audio Perfectwave Directstream DAC. My second best digital source has been my trusty Aurender NH 100, followed by the Bridge II in my DAC via ethernet. I recently read an article about the Denafrips Hermes, a digital to digital converter which allows me to hook up my Aurender via I2S over HDMI to my dac. I ordered one and set it up (I had to call support for help because I initially couldn't get it to work-nice folks, great support, allow for the time difference between US and Singapore) and I was ...disappointed. Thin, bright, you get it. In desperation I tried switching cables, AQ carbon, AQ Vodka, AQ Diamond, Purist HDMI, Cardas HDMI. Then I tried the cable I have been using between my memory player and dac, the Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryosilver Reference HDMI cable, a dedicated audio I2S cable which happens to use an HDMI connector on both ends. Wow! Now I am hearing the benefit of the DDC. I hear more detail presented in a non clinical manner, slightly tighter, more impactful bass and a much wider, deeper, taller soundstage, and the S P A C E I crave. Is it as good as my record player? Hell no, Koetsu rules in this house! But I am enjoying being lazy more, and I think the Denafrips is a stone cold bargain if you have a PS Audio dac. I haven't heard it with other dacs, but I bet it sounds great for those of you with Denafrips dacs as well. The PS Audio dac does sound best through the I2S input, but if you are using a videocentric cable you should consider the space coast I2s cable as well. You will NOT be disappointed. Unfortunately, the PS Audio only does MQA through the bridge which requires ethernet connection. So I tend to listen to TIDAL via ethernet because I prefer Roon to the Aurender conductor app. I have been using the Uptone Audio Ether Regen as my ethernet switch in the big rig for some time now and it was an improvement over no switch at all. I recently tried modding it with the AfterDark Audio linear power supply and a Queen Master clock along with a Constellation network RJ/E cable. Again a noticeable improvement in the same vein as the Hermes. I am OK with what I spent vs what improvements I gained with all of these dodads, but especially the Hermes. It is wicked cool. Enjoy.

Back