Best value in $2750-$3500 A/V receiver/separates

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered the Marantz sr9600. I agree that good quality separates are best with ML for music, but if you want to go with a receiver initially for convience and AV control with HT, then musically this receiver is going to be better than most all others for 2 channel listening.

If there is some flexibility in your budget, you can pick up a used McIntosh MHT200 for around $4,500. That should perform both HT and music quite well. I was debating going with MHT200 or an MX119/MC207 and auditioned both. If you're stuck with a receiver that wouldn't be a bad one. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, within days (maybe weeks) of making a purchase. In the last few days, I think I've discovered that separates may indeed work (moving some equipment, possibly remote-mounting the amp - a few feet out of the way, there's minimal need to interface with this component anyways). So, there's a chance I may go this way, or I'll take a chance on the Adcom receiver (not many reviews yet, a bit of a gamble, probably outperformed by separates, but a convenient package). I'll post an update, when available.

I think it's official; after all of this I've gone with separates.

I'll actually take possession next week, but I now own an Adcom GTP-880 preamp/processor and GFA=7607 7x125 amp. I don't have a need for channels 6 and 7, but may soon (it's a slippery slope). I'll need to start the search for more speakers soon (or maybe I'll just relax for a bit, hopefully; that makes more sense, financially - anyways).

I don't have a need for channels 6 and 7, but may soon (it's a slippery slope). I'll need to start the search for more speakers soon (or maybe I'll just relax for a bit, hopefully; that makes more sense, financially - anyways).

Joe,

I could not find a mention in this thread of what kind of speakers you have. You might think about using ch. 6 and 7 to bi-amp the front speaker pair if you don't have Summit or Vistas (or is it the Vantage that are at the current middle of the ML line???) that is...

Joe,

I could not find a mention in this thread of what kind of speakers you have. You might think about using ch. 6 and 7 to bi-amp the front speaker pair if you don't have Summit or Vistas (or is it the Vantage that are at the current middle of the ML line???) that is...

Probably should have mentioned that, especially on this site. You'll likely be surprised that I don't have electrostats at all, at least not right now. I'm actually running planar, ribbon-type speakers in the front (Mosaics and a Fresco) with old Boston A60's in the rear. I'm quite happy with the Mosaics and Fresco, and they're about the only ML's that would fit (physically) in my living room. I know the Clarities would probably fit, but I actually preferred the planar speakers to the low-end electrostats. The next step up that (IMHO) outperformed these little guys was the Aeon (Tweeter was clearing them out a while back, they just wouldn't fit - especially with the WAF).

Keep in mind for an AVR, Denons and Pioneers don’t like to operate into 4 ohm speakers. They state in the operator manual only 6 ohm or above speakers. I even called their respective tech. reps. and they concurred not to use 4 ohm speakers. The Yamaha will drive 2/4/6/8 ohm or above speakers. I tried the Pioneer VSX-82TXS and it ran a little hot into 4 ohm speakers. The sub-preout failed (go figure) and I was happy to take it back and get the better quality Yamaha RX-V2700. What speakers do you plan on using and their ohm rating?Good luck, Brad.

Brad, i don't have a problem at all with my Denon 4306 driving my Vantages AND Stage. And according to review, the Denon is significantly better if you were to hook it up to an external amp. Power ratings between the two is about equal at 4-ohms, according to review.

Thanks Thai,

I am actually quite pleased with the Yamaha interface and sound quality. Lugano has the same unit and he is quite particular about things. If I had to do it all over I may have got the Denon. I only watch about 5% of my time with movies, but when I watch TV I use the AVR for casual TV watching. I mainly listen to two channel. That is why I separated out the AVR and now the CD goes directly into a separate amp to control the Vantages. I can't stress how much better the sound quality is not going thru the AVR. A high quality control amp helps as well. I am totally in love with my PS Audio GCC-250 control amp which is highly modified by Rick Cullen. It kept my up to 4:30 this morning just listening to fantastic two channel music.

I am glad your Denon is serving you well. Did you get a separate amp that you were talking about?

Brad

I am glad your Denon is serving you well. Did you get a separate amp that you were talking about?

Brad

Nope...i upgraded my sub from Grotto to Depth "i"...that was the best move ever for me.:rocker: I am about 90% HT and 10% music. And when i do listen to music, then it's "Pure Direct" mode...and this is where the Denon does an excellent job (for my ears) powering the Vantages (subwoofer is OFF).

Thanks for all the input, within days (maybe weeks) of making a purchase... I'll post an update, when available.

It's up & running now; very nice. Thanks for the push to pursue the separates. It wasn't too difficult to fit them in, definitely worth it. To be fair, these components didn't originally fit my budget, but my local dealer was clearing them out ($2,898 for the pair - brand new, in sealed boxes, MSRP = $4,300). I was just in the right place at the right time.

Back