Another New (Senior Citizen) to this site.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmillerw

Reaction score
Over the course of a long life I haveve almost always have been a flat panel speaker guy. And now, in my late 60's, I am seeking my "Final" system. I'm starting on a clean page and I would love some direction from the members as to which of the ML's I might get the most enjoyment from. I have an ecelctic taste in music so I can't narrow it down. I have a FL room 20 x 16 with 10 ft ceilings. I have been looking at four pre-owned, possibly new ML's: The Summit X, Montis, ESL 9 and the 11A's. I have no subs and no amp at this time. I can see myself doing a 3 channel setup, but not 5 channels. I have two local opportunities for sale: a ML Montis and a Cinenova 5 Grande for sale, any thoughts on that combo? I am also considering a very simple system such as a Panasonic Dp-ub9000 blu-ray player with an amp, a Benchmark or Hegel perhaps. Any thoughts? I'm a member in good standing on a few other high-end audio sites. Any and all recommendations will be very much appreciated. Happy to be here!

One thing to keep in mind with the electrostats is how old the panels are. Eventually they all need to be replaced. I bought a used pair of Prodigy speakers made in 2000. I bought those about 8 years ago, so the panels were about 16 years old. I'm pretty sure they were worn out then and I should have replaced them then. I did get new ones last year. If the panels are old, you should contact ML to see what the price for new panels is for the speakers. I'd figure that into your budget.

I'd say the 11a's would probably be a pretty safe bet to not need new ones. Figure the price of new panels when you compare the price when you buy used if money is an issue.

Hello and welcome to the forum! So from the models you listed out, my pick would be the 11A's if for no other reason than the built-in ARC calibration for the subwoofer section. I think it's a really worthwhile feature to have and it helps smooth out the integration between the panel and woofers. I currently own 11A's in an 11x20 room with 8' ceilings and I love them. I upgraded to them from ESL X's and it was well worth it.

Thank you both for your replies. Robert D, I absolutely did not think about the age of the pair of Montis (5 years) so I appreciate your reply.
MisterB, I am leaning toward the 11a's and your point about the built in ARC is definitely a major reason why.

Thank you both for your replies. Robert D, I absolutely did not think about the age of the pair of Montis (5 years) so I appreciate your reply.
MisterB, I am leaning toward the 11a's and your point about the built in ARC is definitely a major reason why.
I'd get the 11a's if you can afford to. The ARC is nice. I bought a new BF 210 that uses it and you can tell the difference when you turn off the ARC. It has a button you can press to turn it off.

The Montis is only 5 years old? I see they launched in 2011 but cant find when they stopped producing it. If they are only 5 years old then they have quite a bit of life left in the panels. I figured they would be older than that. If you find the serial number on the speaker, and another on the inside bottom of the panel, you can tell when they were made. We have a thread on here that has the way to decode it.

Id still go for the 11a's, but if the price is really good on the Montis then it might make sense to look closer at them.

I think the first 11a came out in 2016 or 2017. There would still have been new Montis available i would think.
The Montis panel is .3" wider and the same height as the 11a. If you were able to purchase the 11a I would go with new panel construction and electronics inside.

Welcome!

You can add my vote for the 11A. Double the woofers, double the amplifiers, ARC. You can check with ML for the date of manufacture for each of the models you're looking at to help with aging the panels. Even with the 11A being amongst the newest of the bunch it would be nice to know when it was made.

But the key piece of information is that you want this to be your "final" system. Get the 11A. No Regrets.
milky-way-sorry-about-your-tattoo-large-6.jpg

Hello, I want to thank everyone for their communication. I guess I should be looking at the 11A's for all the reasons stated above.
Thanks very much.

Latest posts

Back