back to tubes

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all --

It is the holiday season and you know what that means??? Time to TUBE ROLL!!! :) Anyway, I had a thread awhile back - and I am finally getting ready to consider some new 6sn7s for my cary slp98...

I currently have the chinese 6sn7 - which I think sounds pretty good....
Satch - I believe you mentioned the Zalytron (sp???)... Tonepub had suggested the RCAs.... Anyone have any other info or suggestions? Satch, how have the new tubes faired since you have had them in your system a bit. Comment on their sound a bit?

Thanks -- Tim.

good thread... and good opportunity to learn something for guys like me who have only limited depth of tube knowledge (currently running PL branded KT88s to drive the transducers)

Hey Tim,

Dec. '08 I replaced the Electro-Harmonix tubes in my Cary SLP 98-P with (2) Mullard British Military 12AX7 Platinum Grade, (2) Mullard Brit. Mil. 12AU7 Plat. Grade. I'm still running these. :)

Also at that time I installed (4) RCA Platinum Grade 6SN7's.

Around this time last year I started having some problems with the preamp. I was getting some distortion. Consulting with a guitar player with a lot of tube amplifier experience and LIGHTLY tapping the tubes to find the one making the noise we determined that it was a bad 6SN7.

I replaced all (4) of the RCA 6SN7's with (4) Zaytron Branded 6SN7/5692's made by CBS, Brown Base. Way cool lookin' boxes! That did the trick. :D

I'm no expert, but I'll stick my neck out far enough to say that rolling out the old Electro-Harmonix tubes made a HUGE difference in the overall sound of my system. Better everything.

As far as the difference between the RCA 6SN7's and the Zaytron CBS 6SN7's well that's harder to determine, but it sure do sound fine, especially with my new (to me) SME 10.

Ray

Thanks guys. Have heard 2recommendatiins on the rca's.
Just curious satch can you characterize the zaytrons as more neutral than the rca's or better bass or whatever... I am thinking either RCA or these zaytrons.
Thinking about going thru upscaleaudio.

Another quick question. What is a fair price for a good quality RCA ? I have seen quite the variation. But I don't know a good variation from the other. Before I kerplunk down 120 per tube I would at least like to do the due dilligence. Thanks all

Buying NOS tubes is a crap shoot, but Kevin at Upscale Audio has helped me out and answered a lot of my amateur questions. He knows the Cary SLP 98-P inside-out and what the different tubes sound like.

Those Zaytron 6SN7 CBS tubes sound excellent to my ears. I'd venture to say I personally like them better than the RCA's. YMMV...

Ray

Buying based on someone's recommendation is bit risky as some ppl like a tubey sound while others prefer more neutral presentation. A tube has its charasteristic sound but it also depends of the particular equipment where its placed, one might benefit or hinder properties of device by tube selection.

I get that. But with tubes - suggest another methodology other than getting opinions of those with experience especially with the preamp that I own. I understand it is subjective but my alternative is to stare at the pretty glass bottles and make a choice. Any better suggestions on picking a tube would be appreciated.

Buying NOS tubes is a crap shoot, but Kevin at Upscale Audio has helped me out and answered a lot of my amateur questions. He knows the Cary SLP 98-P inside-out and what the different tubes sound like.

Those Zaytron 6SN7 CBS tubes sound excellent to my ears. I'd venture to say I personally like them better than the RCA's. YMMV...

Ray

Ray --

Upscale has said that the Zaytrons are probably warmer than the RCAs they have... They say the red-base RCAs are warmer - but apparently they do not carry those... Did you move from the red-base RCA's or were they the black base? Would you characterize the move as warmer? They also suggested possibly just getting 2 zaytrons putting them in the front sockets....then if I wanted to mix 2 other tubes in the rear sockets -- to do that at a later time...or if I wanted to go warmer still - get two more zaytrons..... Any opinion?

I only compared the black base RCA with the likes of Sovteks, and some Chinese tubes (don't recall which ones). This was a while back when I was considering the Cary SLP-98 and had extensive auditions with my friend's system. As you know, I went a different route with the ModWright instead of the Cary. Sorry I can't help you further. You should definitely contact Kevin at Upscale Audio. He knows quite a bit about the Cary and can recommend the appropriate tubes to fit with your preference.

Spike

Hey Tim,

The RCA's I had were black base. I think the Zaytron CBS tubes probably are warmer, but no less dynamic. I really like them a lot. I wouldn't mind having an extra set. I don't know how many sets are out there, but it Is limited. Kevin matched me up a really good set and that makes the difference between a trusted biz and trying to find these tubes on the cheap.

You made me remember something about the set of RCA 6SN7's.

You mentioned something about using different 6SN7's for the Front Pair. Now that I look at the paperwork, I see I was using Platinum grade RCA's for the front pair and Driver Grade for the back pair. Hmmmm... What happened there was I ran out of money and couldn't afford Platinum all the way around.

If I were to start over, I would go for the Zaytron CBS Platinum Grade all the way around and I would have Kevin at Upscale pick them out personally.

Just my opinion.

Ray

Timm,

Other than getting a chance to demo tubes on your system, I think getting opinions as you are, is better information than no information at all.

It appears either choice is still a significant improvement over the stock tubes, so you got that goin for you:D

Let us know what you end up doing. I look forward to your description of the differences, as I am considering jumping off the cliff to new tubes.

.......You first:ROFL:

Bing

Latest posts

Back