any xp with MLs and class-D amplification

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHun

Reaction score
Hi there!

I was just wondering if there is anyone driving their MLs with class-D amplification? I have friends who have ordered Hypex UcD modules which seem to be ‘hyped’ all over the net. Class-D being very efficient UcDs have staggering power ratings but I’m just wondering how they match up with the demanding load of electrostats.

If the modules (bought by buddies) make it to a power amp (I would guess it will take a couple of weeks), I’ll write another post about the results.
In the meantime, if anyone has class-D xp, I’d be thankful to read about it!

Best regs,
Miklos

Yup _ i'd be really interested in this. So far my class D listening is limited to NuForce (really not good at all - very thin and harsh sounding), and the excellent Chapter Audio amps. Both are not Hypex based, however. Chapter beats NuForce into the ground - they are just rubbish by comparison, at least to my ears.

I DEFINATELY rate the Chapter's as some of the best amps I have EVER heard. So has anyone heard them with Logans?

Justin

Hola chicos...I am using Bel Canto 300S class D power amp with Vantage, and the sound is very nice, and clean. I do like it very much. the depth of sense 3D is very good, and also, easy to use and set. I am using their CD player as a preamp, connected balanced. I do like what I listen here...not too bright and not too heavy in bass. Very detail, and very warm. Not as warm with tubes, but as I said, it drives the Vantage´s stat panel very well to my liking and ears. Diana Krall voice is very natural, and the piano, you can listen the hammer´s piano notes tex plush hitting the piano strings. Great resolution...happy listening,
Roberto.

My only experience is on this website. There was a problem running class D amps into ML's class D amplification in it's Gen 3 speakers. I believe the problem is now fixed, but it's gotta tell you something about the purity of a class-D signal, right?

Anyway - why Class D? Is this for some obscure environmental reason, or do you really think this will yield the best performance. I'm open,but so far I've not heard a class D amp that has outperformed an equivantley priced Class-A/B design.

Hi and thanks to All for the feedback.

Anyway - why Class D? Is this for some obscure environmental reason, or do you really think this will yield the best performance

Although in theory I try to act in an environmentally conscious way, I’m still driving to work alone in the car every morning which is probably a lot more waste of energy than the dissipation of a half decent A/B design. No, although the efficiency is appealing, I’m more curious about what can class-D offer today in terms of musicality. I haven’t dug deep into the subject, but there are some examples of highly praised calss-D designs like Lyngdorf (former TacT) and this Hypex UcD (OK, Lyngdorf throws in a neat room correction module in TDAI-2200 but it has class-D output stages, as far as I understand).

I have read one thought that class-D amps are very appealing, so to say, very hifi at first - with great resolution and precision - but caused listening fatigue in the long run. But it was one opinion and it might have been a mediocre implementation of class-D amplification.

To come back to the question; I’m interested to hear Hypex as you can get a powerful, (said to be) precise but still musical amp for a fairly acceptable price tag. I have Monoliths and I have never dared to drive them with less than 100W/channel. I have tried it once but it did not work out very well…

Ooops - I have heard the Tact/Lyngdorf amps, albeit with room correction. Very clear, sharp sounding stuff. Too clear and sharp to be relaxing, and too clear when playing rock. You don't get the tube rush type of sound that comes from a good guitar amp really coming through. I know, I guess, I am an obsessive guitar player!

Order of ranking in my head is Chapter/Tact/NuForce. Only the Chapter tackles the best tranny designs, though. Needless to say, I still prefer valves. But I am mad.:eek:

If you're looking to Class D specifically for something that runs cool, I would certainly consider a Sunfire, which I think is "technically" a Class D amp, but unlike the modern crop of new switching amps. Many folks here are still using them to power ML's with great results.

Last edited:
Don't forget Spectron's Muscian Mk III Amp. I have read it sounds musical and it doesn't use B & O output amps,the owner designed his owned. The guy who started Infinity back in the day is the owner.

I'm also recommending the Belcanto with the Martin Logan and I really like what comes out from the Vista with a pair of M300 and a VTL 2.5 tube preamp.

UcDs assembled

Hello and thanks again for the feedback!
It seems that the buddies have already assembled the Hypex UcD modules they have ordered. Twas quick! I haven’t had the opportunity to hear them but they say that though UcDs are good (will beat many mainstream affordable amps) but not the way to go - for them. (Ah, just another shattered dream). Sound is crisp and sterile which might do good to an otherwise soft or too tender system, but did not convince them sufficiently to put more effort in tweaking.
Well, this is a first verdict and I’m still looking forward to hear the UcDs, and will give an update on how they cope with the Monoliths. BTW, Justin, did you hear the Lyngdorf with MLs or with other type of speakers? I was very enthusiastic when I have first read about them?

Last edited:
Back