Any experience with Summit break in?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea Rouvin... I think most of us could use a good Riesling. :)

I'm following this thread and I find it unbelievable that ML will stand aside as a customer is unable to utilize a $10G speaker pair. Come on ML... where's that CS that we know and love? :)

I'm pulling for ya' Kuebler! :D

Buy a frequency converter

I'm sorry Falk... but 6 months is a large amount of days= 180. Maybe I understand ML Factory rules: They don't want customers buy their products in another countries, but where they live, because politics prices for each country and/or guarantees.
But, there is an easy (I don't know if expensive in Germany) solution to you, and is to buy an FREQUENCY CONVERTER / INVERTER (50HZ to 60HZ), better if it is solid state (less noise).

Good luck,

Carpe Diem

elcorso said:
I'm sorry Falk... but 6 months is a large amount of days= 180. Maybe I understand ML Factory rules: They don't want customers buy their products in another countries, but where they live, because politics prices for each country and/or guarantees.
But, there is an easy (I don't know if expensive in Germany) solution to you, and is to buy an FREQUENCY CONVERTER / INVERTER (50HZ to 60HZ), better if it is solid state (less noise).

Good luck,

Carpe Diem
Yes, I can't let the Summit stand 6 months in the corner, this would be ridiculous. My ways forward are the following:

1. At present I still try to get support for the conversion via my US dealer. The "conversion" must be trivial, e.g. exchanging a capacitor or resistor or such, because de facto it is kind of an unlocking. Design-wise the electronics is independent of voltage and frequency, e.g. the builtin power amplifiers are Bang&Olufsen ICEpower units specified on the printboard explicitly for 100-240 volt 50/60Hz). In this scope I may indeed write to Mr. Sanders. Does anyone by chance have his email address?

2. In parallel I will ask the German importer for the "conversion". I can easily imagine his diabolical smile, when he offers me sort of a "punitive charge". But this may be just my prejudice, and I would be grateful for a pleasant surprise.

3. If this all doesn't work, I will buy a chain of battery loader -> car battery -> sinewave inverter for RV/boating. All 3 parts are from commodity markets, so they can be had for a total of about $750. A frequency converter would be more convenient, but as I it looks they are offered only for the professional markets and must therefore be much more expensive. If you know by chance an exception in the US market, I would be grateful for a hint.

I hope much, that I can come to an unlocking, because otherwise the conversion stuff in my room would permanently remember me to this unpleasant story.

Kuebler

Do they sell PS Audio P1000 power plants over there?

The P1000 can make it’s own sine wave, and you can specify the sine wave you want to out put in 1Hz increments. Making a 60Hz sine wave would be no problem or the Power Plant.

Zip3kx07 said:
Do they sell PS Audio P1000 power plants over there?
That costs half a pair of Summits. It would make my Summits cost as much as if I would have bought them in Germany. That would be true masochism... :D

kuebler said:
That costs half a pair of Summits. It would make my Summits cost as much as if I would have bought them in Germany. That would be true masochism... :D

I was afraid of that, sorry Kuebler.

I thought I keep you guys updated with the - temporarily - final outcome:
1. my US dealer had no success in getting support from ML.
2. the German importer took my request for a quotation, and since now 2 weeks hasn't shown a reaction. I can only guess that at present he still checks with his lawyer, whether it's legal under German law to present me a quotation which causes me to suffer an immediate heart attack :mad:
3. I have now built my own electrical solution, which I may or may not substitute in half a year through the official ML unlocking scheme. See my separate thread "How to operate US purchased Summits in Europe".

Back