Another one joins the club (faith?)

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

magoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Hi all, another happy convert to the ways of Martin Logan! OK, so far its *only* a pair of Mosaics, but what a sound they make!

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this site (and its earlier incarnation) for the quality of advice on offer. In particular Roberto - if all hifi dealers were like you there would be a lot fewer "bad" sysyems out there! :) It was reading your early views of the Mosaics that woke me up to their possible compatibility with my system & room. But whatever question I've had - mainly compatibility issues between low powered valve amps & Logans - I've found info here thats been spot on & always friendly.

So to all of you many thanks & happy listening!

Regards
magoo
 

MarkNewbie

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Magoo,

Welcome to the club! You have taken your first steps to a happier life! :)

Mark
 

roberto

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
3,074
Reaction score
8
Location
San Jose, Costa Rica
magoo said:
Hi all, another happy convert to the ways of Martin Logan! OK, so far its *only* a pair of Mosaics, but what a sound they make!

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this site (and its earlier incarnation) for the quality of advice on offer. In particular Roberto - if all hifi dealers were like you there would be a lot fewer "bad" sysyems out there! :) It was reading your early views of the Mosaics that woke me up to their possible compatibility with my system & room. But whatever question I've had - mainly compatibility issues between low powered valve amps & Logans - I've found info here thats been spot on & always friendly.

So to all of you many thanks & happy listening!

Regards
magoo
Hola Magoo...Thank you for your kind words, but here everybody is like me, we like to share our passion to the ML sound. It is good to know also, that you "trusted in your ears" and found a great sounding speakers, with this new technology ATF. Small in size but big sound!!! When you audition the Mosaics, you feel right away that they give a lot of juice, and a good quality of juice. It is nice to know that you stay with us!...happy listening and always "trust your ears!"
Cheers,
Roberto.
 
S

sakhavi

Guest
Welcome, Magoo; glad to have you aboard. C'mon in, look around, get comfortable, grab an avatar, take the blue pill and have some kool aid. :)

If this is a faith, it has the unique advantage among faiths of daily presenting its believers with hard evidence that all they believe is true. All praise.

Btw, another new convert to the Way of the Mosaic is Joey_V; the two of you may have a lot to talk about.
 

zaphod

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
Location
Cloverdale, BC
magoo said:
Hi all, another happy convert to the ways of Martin Logan! OK, so far its *only* a pair of Mosaics, but what a sound they make!
welcome -

don't i remember you from the reel to reel yahoo group?
 

magoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Not me I'm afraid.

And thanks all for the welcome. I must have spent hours reading throu' threads & all was useful.....as my amp is a Unison Research S6 (a whole 30watts of valve power) I was worried that ML's own advice of 100w or more might preclude me. Trawling throu a long thread re how much power MLs need, I remember someone just posting something like "how low is too low, 9watts of SET amp works here!", gave me a lot of heart :) But Roberto happened to review the atf range a)just at the time I was able to buy, and b) a cool six months ahead of the UK press! Perfect timing.

Regards
 

Joey_V

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
4,379
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas, TX
magoo said:
Hi all, another happy convert to the ways of Martin Logan! OK, so far its *only* a pair of Mosaics, but what a sound they make!
Regards
magoo
ONLY Mosaics? Come on... you're a bonafide ML enthusiast just like me. Have fun with them awesome speakers!

:D
 

Jeff Zaret

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
0
Location
Lancaster,Ca
Welcome,
Mosaics are great speakers and do not sell yourself short. You are one of us now.
Enjoy your speakers and enjoy music all over again!

Jeff :cool:
 

magoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Oh I certainly am don't worry....and when those Summits finally arrive, these can go into the HT system & keep the wife & sprog amused ;)

this may take some time :)

On another front, I've also just changed the valves on my amp from sovtek to svetlana cryo valves & its raised the performance bar no end, better detail in the highs, much better control in the bass, and a better soundstage, both width and depth! Now why the devil am I sitting here.........

magoo exits stage left ;)
 

MarkNewbie

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
magoo said:
Oh I certainly am don't worry....and when those Summits finally arrive, these can go into the HT system & keep the wife & sprog amused ;)

this may take some time :)

On another front, I've also just changed the valves on my amp from sovtek to svetlana cryo valves & its raised the performance bar no end, better detail in the highs, much better control in the bass, and a better soundstage, both width and depth! Now why the devil am I sitting here.........

magoo exits stage left ;)

I think I am going to like your sense of humor Magoo. :D And I ain't sucking up this time Jeff!
 

Jeff Zaret

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
0
Location
Lancaster,Ca
Magoo,
Your sense of humour is very welcome!
Enjoy

Mark,
Did I hear a whooshing noise almost like a vacuum. LOL

Jeff :cool:
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
Welcome to the ML Club!!!

Magoo,

Welcome to the best site, on the internet for all things, Martin Logan. Congradulations on your new acquistion of the Mosaic's. The Mosaic's are Terrrific ML speakers!
So..., you changed the valves on your amplifier? By "Valves", do you mean, "out-put devices"? Also, did you do that yourself or did you have it done by an electrician?

I am courious, are you a member of the, "AVS forum"? I thought, I read some posts by a, 'Magoo', on that web-site...

Anyway, It is good to have you here at the ML owners club. :D

Cheers

-Robin
 

magoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
No, again not me, I am a member of a couple of uk hi-fi forums, but as most seem to repeat the same arguments ("I can/ can't hear any difference between bell wire & nordost valhalla" & "only the Naim sound is true hifi" ...you get the idea ;) , I dont post much.

Valves I guess many of you know as tubes, and my amp (Unison Research S6) has 6x EL34's as the output & 2x12AU7's as the inputs. I bought this little beauty ex-dem so had no real idea how long the valves had been used, so I figured rather than end up with a valve failure I'd find some replacements - and came across these cyrogenically treated EL34's. Absolutely fantastic improvement, its lifted the amps performance way further than I expected. I've been enjoying that lovely period where you get to trawl back throu' favorites going "wow, never quite noticed that before".

http://www.frozensolid.co.uk/
explains cryogenics a little better than I can :) Just another weird thing in our weird & wonderful world!

regards
magoo
 

magoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
ps as this lot offer a "treatment service" on your own cables etc. I'm wondering whether to send them my Nordost blue heaven cables ....... or maybe first I send them my bank manager & once he's deep frozen I can proceed ;)
 

MarkNewbie

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
magoo said:
Valves I guess many of you know as tubes, and my amp (Unison Research S6) has 6x EL34's as the output & 2x12AU7's as the inputs. I bought this little beauty ex-dem so had no real idea how long the valves had been used, so I figured rather than end up with a valve failure I'd find some replacements - and came across these cyrogenically treated EL34's. Absolutely fantastic improvement, its lifted the amps performance way further than I expected. I've been enjoying that lovely period where you get to trawl back throu' favorites going "wow, never quite noticed that before".


regards
magoo
Robin,

This is exactly why I said that if you buy the Shanling, listen to it for awhile before you switch out the tubes to the WE 396A's. I did the same thing that Magoo did in going back and listening to all of my music and each time hearing something new and going "wow"! For some reason, people across the big "pond" refer to tubes as "valves".

Mark
 

magoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Nice player Mark....just fell a few hundred over my digital player budget & I ended up with the marantz sa 17si (lovely, but sadly no tubes). I've heard good things about changing tubes in it, but it baffles me why a manufacturer would handicap a product, often for a fairly small cost saving. OK, cryo tubes are more than normal, but unless you have a 300b equipped amp its really not a huge outlay, given what folks spend on Nordost Valhalla etc. Dollar for dollar (see, I'm trying here guys, tubes, dollars :) ), thats the best return I've had apart from major component changes....and the tubes work from the box, unlike a certain pair of mosaics I ran in a few months back ;)

Regards
 

MarkNewbie

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
magoo said:
Nice player Mark....just fell a few hundred over my digital player budget & I ended up with the marantz sa 17si (lovely, but sadly no tubes). I've heard good things about changing tubes in it, but it baffles me why a manufacturer would handicap a product, often for a fairly small cost saving. OK, cryo tubes are more than normal, but unless you have a 300b equipped amp its really not a huge outlay, given what folks spend on Nordost Valhalla etc. Dollar for dollar (see, I'm trying here guys, tubes, dollars :) ), thats the best return I've had apart from major component changes....and the tubes work from the box, unlike a certain pair of mosaics I ran in a few months back ;)

Regards
I hear that the Marantz is no slacker in it's own right! I like the saying "pound for pound". Us "Yanks" actually use that one quite a bit! I am actually planning on rolling the tubes/valves in my Mac at some point.
 

magoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
My only complaint with the marantz is that it seems to dislike certain discs, often ones my cd-r will play quite happily, so I'm assuming its not solely down to this copy protection nonsense. Oddly enough i got a sacd yesterday, the Mo-Fi sacd of RL Burnside's 'First Tracks', so about as audiophile as they come, and low & behold it won't read either layer. Plays fine on the Pioneer universal in my av system, but sadly that remains a Logan free zone. Funny thou', never seem to have this trouble with that old fashioned 12" black disc....could catch on you know ;)

Hey ho, time to buy some cd-r's so i can rip a cd copy that will work, how daft is that :cool:

regards
 

DTB300

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
0
Location
Fallout 3 Land
From my memory..older Marantz players were notorios for not playing certain discs....Stop by Audio Asylum in the Digital Forum to read more about Marantz players.

Remember ripping of the CD will only give you the CD layer and not the SACD layer.

Dan
 
2
Top