Quantcast

Which Resolution Do You Watch on your - TV / Monitor / Projector...

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

What Resolution Do You Watch on your - TV / Monitor / Projector?


  • Total voters
    31

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,301
Reaction score
2
Location
Camano Island, Washington
Which Vertical Resolution Do You Watch on your - TV / Monitor / Projector...

With the advent of TV's, Monitor's, and Projector's available in so many various native resolutions. I wanted to know what vertical resolution members here use to watch at home in their HT's?
 
Last edited:

Reverb

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
0
Location
Palm Springs, CA
Not sure if I understand your question.

My Projector is a Sony HS-51A, its native resolution is 1280X720P, LCD.

Remember fixed pixel TV’s like Plasma, DLP’s, LCD’s, SXRD, LCOS, ETC. have video scalier’s built in that will scale any video resolution to match the TV’s native resolution. So no mater what resolution I feed my projector, it will scale the video up or down as needed to match it native resolution of 1280X720.
 
Last edited:

DTB300

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
0
Location
Fallout 3 Land
TomDac said:
I try to watch everything in 1080i if I can... HD is wonderful!
agreed...received a lot of flack from the wife when I purchased my HD Sony a month or so ago, but when she saw it, she was impressed. And that is a rarity for either the TV or stereo for her to notice excellence.

Dan
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,301
Reaction score
2
Location
Camano Island, Washington
Clarification...

Zip3kx07 said:
Not sure if I understand your question.

My Projector is a Sony HS-51A, its native resolution is 1280X720P, LCD.

Remember fixed pixel TV’s like Plasma, DLP’s, LCD’s, SXRD, LCOS, ETC. have video scalier’s built in that will scale any video resolution to match the TV’s native resolution. So no mater what resolution I feed my projector, it will scale the video up or down as needed to match it native resolution of 1280X720.
Joe,

I see what your saying, Joe. Yes, I am looking for what native resolution on your TV?
I am sorry, I should have specified more clearly... I am looking for: What vertical lines of resolution do you normally watch on your TV?

Yours would be 720p.

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll change my original post.
 

Reverb

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
0
Location
Palm Springs, CA
Thanks for clarifying that Robin.

I wasn’t sure if you wanted the Native resolution of our TV’s, or what source resolution we are feeding to your TV’s. :)
 

JonFo

Super Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
4,151
Reaction score
51
Location
Big Canoe, GA
More than one resolution

Since I still have an ‘old school’ CRT Projector, the Sony G70 (8” tubes), I use many resolutions and refresh rates.

For HD from the HD-TiVo and the HD-DVD, it’s 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced)

For Upscaling through the HTPC from S-Video sources (such as the SD TiVo’s), I use 1400x1050p @60Hz.

For Upscaling DVD’s, I use both 1440x960p @60Hz and 1440x960p @48Hz. The 48Hz refresh is very cool for 24fps sourced movie DVD’s as this exact double of the material framerate means no tearing or motion artifacts induced by the 3:2 pulldown.

I also use the fact that a CRT has adjustable vertical raster and do the anamorphic squeeze from 16:9 material in the PJ. So the Software scaling errors (going from 16:9 to 4:3) are avoided altogether.

Of course, this amount of options requires lot’s of automation to be set up. But then, I dig that…

I’ve seen Sony Ruby’s and they are getting close to what my G70 can do, but still not worth the trade-up costs, especially not when LED based projection is almost here. I hate bulbs, they’re so 1880’s.
 
A

AlanW

Guest
Like JonFo I am also a big CRT Fan.
For DVD on my Sony G90 projector - 1440 x 960 from an HTPC w/ TheaterTek looks great.
HD on the G90 looks great at 1080p

Our main TV watching is on a WS-65815 Mitsubishi CRT TV and it's highest resolution is 1080i in which the Directv box upconverts and scales all to 1080i including 480i material.
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,301
Reaction score
2
Location
Camano Island, Washington
LED Based Projection?

JonFo said:
Since I still have an ‘old school’ CRT Projector, the Sony G70 (8” tubes), I use many resolutions and refresh rates.

For HD from the HD-TiVo and the HD-DVD, it’s 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced)

For Upscaling through the HTPC from S-Video sources (such as the SD TiVo’s), I use 1400x1050p @60Hz.

For Upscaling DVD’s, I use both 1440x960p @60Hz and 1440x960p @48Hz. The 48Hz refresh is very cool for 24fps sourced movie DVD’s as this exact double of the material framerate means no tearing or motion artifacts induced by the 3:2 pulldown.

I also use the fact that a CRT has adjustable vertical raster and do the anamorphic squeeze from 16:9 material in the PJ. So the Software scaling errors (going from 16:9 to 4:3) are avoided altogether.

Of course, this amount of options requires lot’s of automation to be set up. But then, I dig that…

I’ve seen Sony Ruby’s and they are getting close to what my G70 can do, but still not worth the trade-up costs, especially not when LED based projection is almost here. I hate bulbs, they’re so 1880’s.
JonFo,

I set-up this poll with the ability to choose more than one resolution, if you watch more than one resolution with your CRT system. ;)

Do you have more information regarding this new technology of LED based projection? When will this kind of technology become availalbe to us here in the USA. Whcih company is leading the way is it Sony? I am really not looking forward to paying $850.00 (USD) every 3000 hours for a Xenon light bulb for a future Sony Ruby Projector. :eek: I think the Sony's $30,000.00 - "Qualia-004 SXRD" uses a Xenon bulb as well. :confused:
 

JonFo

Super Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
4,151
Reaction score
51
Location
Big Canoe, GA
Robin said:
...

Do you have more information regarding this new technology of LED based projection? When will this kind of technology become availalbe to us here in the USA. Whcih company is leading the way is it Sony? I am really not looking forward to paying $850.00 (USD) every 3000 hours for a Xenon light bulb for a future Sony Ruby Projector. :eek: I think the Sony's $30,000.00 - "Qualia-004 SXRD" uses a Xenon bulb as well. :confused:
Hi Robin,

Yep, new lighting technologies finally arrive in products one can buy now (or real soon):

The Samsung HL-S5679W LED-lit 1080p DLP HDTV is about to show up in stores. See story on engadget : http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/05/samsungs-hl-s5679w-led-dlp-gets-real/

Also, this one’s a bit more out there, Mitsubishi is talking about a laser lamp for their upcoming DLP rear projectors: http://neasia.nikkeibp.com/dailynewsdetail/003933

Either of these technologies delivers wider color spaces, no ‘rainbow’ effect, and wider dynamic range (i.e. true black from a digital at long last, as you turn off the LED/Laser, unlike a bulb).

Oh and did I mention, no bulb costs, ever ;)

One more reason to keep my trusty G70 just a bit longer. But I do plan on picking up a Canon Realia SX50 or SX60 for games and computer display (and some Sports on TV). Need to keep that CRT going until that LCOS or DLP 1080 Laser driven front PJ comes to market in a year or two.
 

Kruppy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
822
Reaction score
0
Location
Rochester, Michigan
Robin said:
Do you have more information regarding this new technology of LED based projection? When will this kind of technology become availalbe to us here in the USA. Whcih company is leading the way is it Sony? I am really not looking forward to paying $850.00 (USD) every 3000 hours for a Xenon light bulb for a future Sony Ruby Projector. :eek: I think the Sony's $30,000.00 - "Qualia-004 SXRD" uses a Xenon bulb as well. :confused:
Robin,
The new led tecnology is called Phlatlight, short for photonic lattice technology.

Here's a link to the company's website:

http://www.luminus.com/phlatlight/

I've read 20,000 hours of blurb life. Bring it on.....

Edit:

Here's another little blub of info:

http://www.insightmedia.info/emailblasts/2006bestbuzzawards.htm
 
Last edited:

Reverb

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
0
Location
Palm Springs, CA
Robin said:
JonFo,

I set-up this poll with the ability to choose more than one resolution, if you watch more than one resolution with your CRT system. ;)

Do you have more information regarding this new technology of LED based projection? When will this kind of technology become availalbe to us here in the USA. Whcih company is leading the way is it Sony? I am really not looking forward to paying $850.00 (USD) every 3000 hours for a Xenon light bulb for a future Sony Ruby Projector. :eek: I think the Sony's $30,000.00 - "Qualia-004 SXRD" uses a Xenon bulb as well. :confused:
"
First LED-based DLPs from Samsung Expected in July
Developer of the LED technology receives $38 million in funding

The ship date was originally slated for May. Now the Boston Globe reports that the first LED-based rear-projection DLPs won't go into production until June, and won't ship til July.

For everyone else: Samsung is set to roll out a new batch 56-inch DLP high-def TVs without traditional lamps. These rear-pros will be powered by an array of light-emitting diodes (LEDs), specially treated to be brighten up a TV.

The problem with today's lamps is that they eventually burn out, and they're not cheap to replace. Plus, they dim over time. The LED chips for the new Samsung TVs, created by a company called Luminus Devices, evidently eliminate such problems.

For starters, the LEDs should be good for about 20,000 hours.

The Boston Globe quotes Samsung's Dan Schinasi as saying, ''You would see much, much purer color imagery. The reds would really pop, the blues would be much, much more pure. Even the average person would be able to discern the difference."

The LEDs add about $700 to the cost of the Samsung TVs, which are expected to retail for about $4,200 (up from the originally projected $4,000)."




I am looking forward to seeing this technology work; LEDs don’t produce any heat so these new TV’s should be fan less. DLP rainbows have bothered me in the past; this should hopefully eliminate that, my one concern is the shimmering of the mirrors, this is the one thing that drives me nuts more then rainbows is the moving mirror pixel structure. It looks like regular noise on screen but after a wile you will notice it is not random like noise, it is the moving mirrors, and when the mirrors rotate off axis they create a shimmer of light. This bugs the hell out of me and considering how directional LED light is, I hope this new light engine doesn’t makes this worse.


EDIT.

O, ya Robin,

Found out last night Sony has a new SXRD projector coming soon. It is being called the “baby ruby” for now, it’s estimated price is at $5,000.00 and will use a UHP lamp unlike the ruby’s Xenon lamp so replacement lamps should be around $300 to $400.00. An official announcement from Sony on this new Baby Ruby is expected very soon, we are guessing between June and September.

The current Ruby is going to be updated and remain at $10,000. And rumor has it even thou the Qualia line has been discontinued, the Qualia 004 will remain in production under a new name. It is expected to be upgraded and still retail for around $30,000.
 
Last edited:

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,301
Reaction score
2
Location
Camano Island, Washington
Progress Matches On...

Zip3kx07 said:
"
O, ya Robin,

Found out last night Sony has a new SXRD projector coming soon. It is being called the “baby ruby” for now, it’s estimated price is at $5,000.00 and will use a UHP lamp unlike the ruby’s Xenon lamp so replacement lamps should be around $300 to $400.00. An official announcement from Sony on this new Baby Ruby is expected very soon, we are guessing between June and September.

The current Ruby is going to be updated and remain at $10,000. And rumor has it even thou the Qualia line has been discontinued, the Qualia 004 will remain in production under a new name. It is expected to be upgraded and still retail for around $30,000.
Joe,

Thanks for the all great information on Sony's up-coming techology improvements.... :)
You are quite correct, in saying that the technology will be really advancing rapidly from now on... ;) I'm going to keep my sights on front projection type of monitor. It sure would be nice to see a front projector become bulb-less and be better than, the totally awesome Sony "Ruby" front projector. :)

It is truly amazing how fast our equipment has the possibility to become obsolete in the blink of an eye. ;) All of a sudden our gear can be passe or a "classic" piece of audio equipment in no time at all...
 

Reverb

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
0
Location
Palm Springs, CA
Robin said:
Joe,

Thanks for the all great information on Sony's up-coming techology improvements.... :)
You are quite correct, in saying that the technology will be really advancing rapidly from now on... I'm going to keep my sights on front projection type of monitor. It sure would be nice to see a front projector become bulb-less and be better than, the totally awesome Sony "Ruby" front projector.
It would be nice to have a lamp-less front projector, that produced no noise and no heat, but if it’s only offered on DLP’s I don’t see it ever being an option for me, but hay that’s fine, I have my eye’s set on the baby ruby. :D
It is truly amazing how fast our equipment has the possibility to become obsolete in the blink of an eye. All of a sudden our gear can be passe or a "classic" piece of audio equipment in no time at all...
Video technology is changing so fast that basically your TV is devaluing by 50% every year. I say wait on getting your front projector still last; you will more then likely get a product that is cheaper and better then what’s available now.
 
L

Levesque

Guest
People go in a showroom to look at the Sony Ruby and then compare it with a fully tweak (hours!) CRT at home... :rolleyes: OOTB, the Ruby is not really good.

A decent calibration of the Ruby should be: greyscale, iris tweaks, putting the primaries and secondaries where they are suppose to be, custom gamma curve to TOTALLY remove the brightness compression, and fixing uniformity.

I've seen 4 different G90s fully calibrated , and even a Cine9, and the Ruby, paired with the new Toshiba HD-DVD player is easily able to compete with those high-end 9", and do alot of things even better.

If you do countless hours of tweaking on a CRT, why not work 4-5 hours on the Ruby to make it perform fully? A demo in a dealer showroom is not the way to compare the Ruby with a fully tweaked CRT.
 
Last edited:

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,301
Reaction score
2
Location
Camano Island, Washington
Excellent Advise and Recommendations

Alain,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!
Thank you for joining to our fair web-site. I know and have learned and enjoyed your posts / threads on the AVS Forum. Your insights and information are excellent. I know you are a senior member at the AVS Forum and have contributed with honor for years on the AVS Forum. We recently communicated at the AVS Forum on your 'member system' thread. It is a distinct pleasure to have you here with us on the ML Club... :D Your thread regarding tweaks for the Anthem D2 and integrating tweaking your Sony 'Ruby' VPL-VW100 into your stellar system have been extremely informative and valuable to me personally. I agree with you, "A demo in a showroom is not the way to compare the Ruby with a fully tweaked CRT."

I wish you could share with us some more of the tweaks you used to fully integrate your Sony Ruby with your system. Your system is so clear and sharp and extremely dynamic as well. ;)

It is fantastic to have you here Alain. :D
 
Top