What to upgrade next... new ML's, Krell amps, ...???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
Ok it is that time of year where I get the itch to upgrade something in my system. Last year this time I replaced my old Theta Casa Nova surround processor with the awesome Krell S1200-U and have never looked back.

Even though I think the SL3's sound fantastic, I have always lusted after the ML Prodigy speakers. For some reason I just think the larger panels sound better than some of the newer ML speakers (no offense!) that are more of a space saving design (in an ML sort of way!). On the other hand, I have the Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5 that I biamped for the fronts, have one channel for center and a different amp for rear channel. Since buying the Krell processor, I have been drooling after more Krell gear and was possible be looking at one of the FPB amps... The only dilemna with that scenario is that I would like all 3 front channels to be of the same type / caliber amp and KRELL does not make a 3 channel amp.

Below is a list of some of my current setup... What would be the logical next step? Oh, also is anyone looking at selling their Prodigy's of FPB Krell's?

thanks! gordon

Currently my Theater system consists of the following:

• Martin Logan SL3 (Left and Right)
• Martin Logan Theater (Center)
• Martin Logan Scenario (Rears)
• JL Audio Fathom 113 (2)
• Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200w (fronts are biamped, center single)
• Krell S-1200U Surround Sound Processor (black)
• Sony BDP S- 500 Blue Ray Player
• Sony “Black Pearl” Bravia VPL-VW60 Projector
• 120” Da-Lite Screen
• Monster HTS 1600 power conditioner
• Monster Home Theater® Uninterruptible Power Supply HT UPS 500 (for Projector)
• Emotiva UPA-2 for rears
Squeezebox 3
• Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD Cable box
• Various Wireworld and MIT interconnects
Logitech Google TV

The Prodigy was one of the finest speakers ever made and along with the CLS and CLX, probably the best ML ever produced. If you can find a nice pair, and you can power them properly I say do it.

Having said that, those are fairly large speakers and you need a good size room to get the most out of them.

Do you use your rig primarily for HT? If that's the case, I am not sure the Prodigy will make a huge difference sonically (then again I have not listened to many ML speakers in HT setups...). Surely for regular 2 channel music (or multichannel music) the Prodigy would be a tremendous upgrade.

Erik

The FPB 600 was raved about as being silky smooth. I would still opt for the FPB 300cx as it has CAST and has better dynamics. They are amazing products when done correctly.

I listen to about 75% movies and 25% music but that can change! I like to really crank up the system as well for what it's worth...

The Prodigy was one of the finest speakers ever made and along with the CLS and CLX, probably the best ML ever produced. If you can find a nice pair, and you can power them properly I say do it.

Having said that, those are fairly large speakers and you need a good size room to get the most out of them.

Do you use your rig primarily for HT? If that's the case, I am not sure the Prodigy will make a huge difference sonically (then again I have not listened to many ML speakers in HT setups...). Surely for regular 2 channel music (or multichannel music) the Prodigy would be a tremendous upgrade.

Erik

There is a mint pair of Prodigy's with grey side panels on www.canuckaudiomart.com They are kind of priced high, but then again, they rarely come up for sale, especially up here in Canada

Krell 403e three channel amplifier (Evolution 403e)

Krell MAKES a three channel amplifier (Evolution 403e). It seems to be a great amp.

I am still a bit confused on what to do next... I would assume that any Krell FPB amps would be sort of overkill for the SL3's? Correct? What would be the logical choice here, get better front speakers? If I get a 2 channel amp or 2 monblocks then I have the issue with how to power the center channel.
Man this audio hobby can cause some serious heaches!:music:

Ditch the SL3's and get something newer.. /QUOTE]

Tom is correct. When you dove into the Krell S-1200U, an excellent processor which is now the center piece of your system, you opened the door to other upgrades. IMHO you will get the most bang for your buck in upgrading your mains next. But you know the upgrades wont end there.

My next upgrade would include three mono ESL amps from sanderssoundsystems.com

Check those amps out, you may like them. They should sound great with your Krell SSP.

Last edited:
Thinking back on my series of upgrades, i have little doubt that once the electronics/source are at a certain level improving the speakers make the most significant difference. The second most important upgrade, based on my experience, was the CD player. However, that occurred for me after i had acquired the Sunfire and Lexicon so there was already potential in the system.

Looking at your very impressive list, it seems to me that the amp may be your weakest link (i am not that familiar with the Sony player). However, i suspect that improving the speakers will have a more significant result than improving the amp.

I also have a S1200U which is paired to a Krell Home Theater Standard (HTS) amp and it sounds very nice with my ML Summit X and Stage. The amp is 200x5 and works well in the home theater setup. The HTS should be pretty nicely priced on the used market.

Didn't notice you are using the Sony blu-ray player for a source. I would shell the bucks out for a decent source.

You will never improve the sound after the fact, meaning upstream.Using your current source, you haven't heard what your present sytem is capable of.

I have a projector as well, and only use my Panasonic blu-ray player for movies. If you want a stand alone player for both movies and cd's, I would get the Oppo blu-ray Nu-Force edition or the Dan Modright edition. Great deals on agon. Do the amp and speakers later.

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the insightful suggestions... What do you guys suggest as far as speakers... I love the look and the large panel of the Prodigy... How much of a difference in sound could I expect with going that route if I can find a good pair? I do not have that much experience with the newer ML's, and I think my Theater center channel matches great with the SL 3 panel and probably would also match the Prodigy panel quite nicely... If I go with the newer ML's, then I don't think my center will be voiced similarly and there goes another dilemna!

CD/Bluray: I do not listen to actual cds - I ripped all of my cds into wave files mostly or lossless and am playing them through my Squeezebox with great results! Yes the Sony is one of the earlier Blu Ray players and will probably be booted out of my HT soon!

Been looking at some nice Krells: :D What would be your choice between a pair of fpb 250 mc or a fpb 300c amp??? 250wpc x 2 monoblocks, or 300 wpc single chassis amp for about the same price???

I am open to all further suggestions!

If it were me, I would be patient and wait for a pair of Prodigy's on audiogon. It will be a huge step up from your SL'3's.If I had a bit more room, I would be getting a pair myself.

Have a look at the modded Oppo blu-yay player I suggested. Then you will have the sound to match your setup. If you do a search on agon for the OPPo, you will see the modded ones don't stick around too long.

Cheers, Greg

Greg,

thanks for the input. It seems that Oppo no longer produces that model... What is so great about this player compared to my Sony (if ya don't mind me asking?)? So far I have been happy with the Sony except for the ridiculously long startup times, lack of Dolby True HD, etc... I will definitely look into that. Again, I really do not pop in any cd's, just rip them and play them off my Squeezebox.

Yes, getting a pair of Prodigy's was my first thought and choice but man they are hard to find! I am just a firm believer that the larger panels speak for themselves compared to the smaller newer ones... I have not been proven wrong yet.

If it were me, I would be patient and wait for a pair of Prodigy's on audiogon. It will be a huge step up from your SL'3's.If I had a bit more room, I would be getting a pair myself.

Have a look at the modded Oppo blu-yay player I suggested. Then you will have the sound to match your setup. If you do a search on agon for the OPPo, you will see the modded ones don't stick around too long.

Cheers, Greg

Back