Another new member from the UK

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My name is Brian and I have owned Martin Logan speakers for many years and still use the original SL3's (repanelled about four years ago) as rear speakers in the home cinema part of my setup. My two channel setup currently comprises:

Martin Logan Renaissance 15A speakers
Chord Ultima pre 2 pre-amplifier
Chord Ultima 3 monoblocs
dCS Rossini DAC
dCS Rossini clock

To augment this equipment, for primarily weekend use, I use additionally the following home cinema equipment with the pre-amp in bypass mode.

Martin Logan SL3
Martin Logan Cinema (centre Channel)
Chord 5 channel power amp
Classe SSP800 processor
Optima projector and screen

I'm wondering how much I am missing out by not having a modern sub woofer for the home cinema useage. In my mind; Im justifying this by only using 5.1 sources. I did own a Martin Logan Depth at one time but was plauged by low level transformer hum; but that was a long time ago.

The one aspect that I will not change is the precision and purity of my Martin Logan speakers.

Attachments

• Home cinema.jpg
    Home cinema.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice set up. I saw the movie screen rolled up. What has been the best movie for enjoying the audio set up?

My name is Brian and I have owned Martin Logan speakers for many years and still use the original SL3's (repanelled about four years ago) as rear speakers in the home cinema part of my setup. My two channel setup currently comprises:

Martin Logan Renaissance 15A speakers
Chord Ultima pre 2 pre-amplifier
Chord Ultima 3 monoblocs
dCS Rossini DAC
dCS Rossini clock

To augment this equipment, for primarily weekend use, I use additionally the following home cinema equipment with the pre-amp in bypass mode.

Martin Logan SL3
Martin Logan Cinema (centre Channel)
Chord 5 channel power amp
Classe SSP800 processor
Optima projector and screen

I'm wondering how much I am missing out by not having a modern sub woofer for the home cinema useage. In my mind; Im justifying this by only using 5.1 sources. I did own a Martin Logan Depth at one time but was plauged by low level transformer hum; but that was a long time ago.

The one aspect that I will not change is the precision and purity of my Martin Logan speakers.
Very, very nice system. Clearly a music lover's treat. You're probably getting decent theater
bass, given setting up your processor for a sub-less config. Those 15s go shockingly low and flat. none the less, I think having a real .1 discreet channel sub, tune-able with bass room correction, would yield an improved movie experience. Of course, thinking about setting both capacities' up gives me a headache :). Beyond my prejudice for ML stats, the Renaissance is a staggering transducer, at any price.

Nice set up. I saw the movie screen rolled up. What has been the best movie for enjoying the audio set up?
The best movie for me is an old UK classic called "Brassed Off". It highlights the coal mine closure of a pit called Grimethorpe in the early 90's seen through the eyes of their associated Brass Band (in the film it is called Grimley). The music is wonderful (the music is played by actual Band Members) and sounds great on my Martin Logans. I know this is not the usual analysis of Home Cinema but I love it.

Back