What speaker cable/wire do you use

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpus456

Reaction score
Having a hard time deciding what speaker cable to go with so it would be nice to hear what others are using for there Martin Logan's

Thought we could use the following structure below

Speaker: CLX
Configuration: BI WIRE
Upper post: kimber camber
Lower post: same as above

My setup:
Speaker: SL3
Configuration: jumpers (made via 12 awg cables)
Upper post: generic 12 awg cable
Lower post: none

Look in the "Member Systems" area. Most people who post their systems also post what kind of cables, interconnects and jumpers they're using. :)

Contact the "Cable company" aka fatwyre. They have many choices and allow you to audition before you buy.

Way too many options and it's so subjective.

Good luck.

GG

Also should be noted. CLX is a single wire product, no need for biwire. if one owns a cable set configured as bi wire, sum the legs together onto the single posts.
Gordon has an excellent comment. Cables become part of a system only when attached and given the great variety of equipment out there, combined with personal preferences, there is no "absolute" in cable purchases. A loaner company like the Cable Company will be a good start.

Having a hard time deciding what speaker cable to go with so it would be nice to hear what others are using for there Martin Logan's

My setup:

I have CLX's and have used Nordost speaker cables for a number of years. Current version is insanely expensive Odins but for much less one can get about 75% of the performance with Valhallas. I would agree with others that given the myriad of factors that influence the speaker, room, electronics, and cable interactions, being able to compare several at one time would be the way to go. I have dealt with the Cable Company for many years and they have a very deep library of demo cables to make such comparisons possible.

I was just thinking the same thing myself, good question & I don't see any reason why not.

Mine are Wire World Silver Eclipse 6 from go to yo. My goal is for the least amount of colourisation & to let the music through as is.

My setup:

I was just thinking the same thing myself, good question & I don't see any reason why not.
Every time stuff crosses the border there is a brokerage fee if it's sent by UPS or Fedex. There is no fee if it's sent by USPS/Canada Post, but some companies flat out refuse to use that route as claims are supposedly difficult if stuff gets lost. Mind you, there are tons of horrendous stories about claiming from UPS and Fedex.

speaker: Summit
Upper post: Audioquest Pike's Peak

For what it's worth, I had SL3s until a few months ago originally with generic "Monster Cable" type oxygen free copper and went to the AQ Pike's Peak and the difference was dramatic. All the usual positive descriptors apply....

What might help is to understand your budget...

Budget is one consideration but auditioning to determine personal bias, in various price categories, is an entirely different matter.

Maybe it's me but this thread appears so much, and in the end, the same things are said over and over again.

Perhaps another notice from Tom entitled "the second most asked question on this forum" can be addressed to point people in the right direction.

GG

Budget is one consideration but auditioning to determine personal bias, in various price categories, is an entirely different matter.

Maybe it's me but this thread appears so much, and in the end, the same things are said over and over again.

Perhaps another notice from Tom entitled "the second most asked question on this forum" can be addressed to point people in the right direction.

GG

Good point and agree, Gordon.

What might help is to understand your budget...

Well the run has to be 8 feet long so i was thinking about buying some cable in bulk and making my own biwire

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=915

I was going to run 3 single strands of 12awg to each post.. max i wanted to spend was $120 - 150.

one option was to pick up a pair of Monster M1-4s wire or MIT Terminator 5 bi wire or Silver Sonic T-14 12-ft bi-wired for $125.. used

Budget is pretty low as im dishing out a ML cinema center.

On another note:
i did move testing with placing the my current 12awg to the bottom post and 16 awg Monster cable to the top post and the sound was horrible.

WAY to bright.. oddly enough the "phantom center" sound i had was gone and the vocals sounded like they were coming right from speakers ( no more was the lead vocals coming from the center, the sound of instruments all sounded like they came right from the speaker.. just nasty)

On another note:
.. oddly enough the "phantom center" sound i had was gone and the vocals sounded like they were coming right from speakers ( no more was the lead vocals coming from the center, the sound of instruments all sounded like they came right from the speaker.. just nasty)

A change that significant sounds more like a polarity swap as opposed to any diff you might expect to hear based on awg change.

Single biwire audioquest granite into Ascents. Consider buying used? Once you decide you can get a lot for your money on audiogon

On my Summits.... Audience Au24e's (paired with older Au24 jumpers between stat and woofer posts). Recently upgraded from Blue Jeans Cables to Au24e interconnects for rest of gear, and was quite surprised by the degree of improvement. Just wish I had taken this leap years ago!

Latest posts

Back