Custom ESL using quest panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After much thought as to how I was going to seal up all the key holes that pass through the side and top panels I settled on using 2 part liquid silicone. This was a great solution and it's really easy to apply.

I was running a little low by the time I finished the second box and I likely missed a few spots. I bought another pack of silicone just in case.

Attachments

• PXL_20230619_211505235.jpg
    PXL_20230619_211505235.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230619_211923907.jpg
    PXL_20230619_211923907.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230619_215746379.jpg
    PXL_20230619_215746379.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The boards are directly out of the Quest power supply but the transformers are aftermarket.
Can you provide info on the transformers and how did you know the specs or what to use? The reason is I may have a problem with the transformers in one of my Prodigies.

Can you provide info on the transformers and how did you know the specs or what to use? The reason is I may have a problem with the transformers in one of my Prodigies.
In the very first post of this thread I have the part numbers and wiring diagram, but the Prodigy will not use the same ratio transformer. I was given the info for these transformers from @Jazzman53, if you shoot him a PM he could probably point you in the right direction. I'm not an expert on picking transformers.

Here's a link to the transformers I use in my DIY speakers, which requires two per speaker in a tandem arrangement:
https://www.rapidonline.com/vigortr...sformer-230v-single-primary-50va-0-6v-88-5190
But I'm pretty sure Brandon is right:
The tandem toroids could not be plug-N-play replacements for your Prodigy transformers.

Just eyeballing the Prodigy interface, it looks like there are more connections/inputs on the primaries than would be available with the tandem toroids, and their voltages may be different as well.

The only way to use the tandem toroid setup in your Prodigy would be to replace the entire passive crossover/EQ network with a DSP crossover with parametric EQ's for tuning, and put the woofer and panel on separate amp channels. That would be easy to do and give very high-performance but it wouldn't be cheap $$$

Last edited:
Just eyeballing the Prodigy interface, it looks like there are more connections/inputs on the primaries than would be available with the tandem toroids, and their voltages may be different as well.

I think most of the connections are not actually connected to the transformers. I'll send you a message when I open it up and take some better pictures.

Does anyone know the step-up ratio of the Prodigy transformer(s)?
And is the only purpose of the two transformers that are side-by-side in the Prodigy chassis to step up the voltage to energize the panel? What does each do or do they work as one?

And is the only purpose of the two transformers that are side-by-side in the Prodigy chassis to step up the voltage to energize the panel? What does each do or do they work as one?

I haven't a clue. I'm thinking they would either have to be identical transformers connected in tandem to double the voltage out (like my dual toroidal setup), or an arrangement where one transformer has a lower ratio driving the treble band and the other a higher ratio driving the mid-bass band. The old Acoustat Medallion speakers used such an arrangement, which they called "Mirror Drive".

Electronics isn't my forte so perhaps someone here who knows something about the Prodigy setup could compare the connections between my tandem toroid setup to those in the Prodigy schematic and figure it out.

My schematic is shown below. It uses two identical transformers (each having 38:1 ratio with its 2 primaries in parallel). Combined, as shown doubles the ratio to 76:1

Jazzman Mk III schematic.jpg

I haven't a clue. I'm thinking they would either have to be identical transformers connected in tandem to double the voltage out (like my dual toroidal setup), or an arrangement where one transformer has a lower ratio driving the treble band and the other a higher ratio driving the mid-bass band. The old Acoustat Medallion speakers used such an arrangement, which they called "Mirror Drive".

Electronics isn't my forte so perhaps someone here who knows something about the Prodigy setup could compare the connections between my tandem toroid setup to those in the Prodigy schematic and figure it out.

My schematic is shown below. It uses two identical transformers (each having 38:1 ratio with its 2 primaries in parallel). Combined, as shown doubles the ratio to 76:1

View attachment 24344

BTW I just watched all your ESL build videos, very cool stuff.

I admire anyone with the smarts to make passive setups work, as I would be so lost attempting it.

As you can see from the schematic; my setup can be very simple because I don't have a passive crossover and a bunch of EQ filters between the amp and transformers-- just the two outs from the amp into two transformer inputs. Simple as can be, which I about as complex as my mind can handle :)

All the crossover and EQ'ing is done with a DSP upstream of the power amps, and I can tweak crossover frequencies, slopes, and EQ tuning in real time from my listening spot on the sofa using the DSP's I-pad graphic interface.

It's so much easier with this setup-- I'm completely spoiled now and totally useless for any kind of actual work.

Jazzman Mk III schematic.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 24344

I just looked at the Prodigy schematic that someone posted today.
Some one please check behind me on this because I'm petty much a dumb-ass when it comes to figuring out electronics.

If I'm interpreting the schematic correctly; I'm seeing two transformers connected in parallel, and each transformer has a single primary winding and a single secondary winding. Each winding may actually be several interleaved windings connected in series but the schematic depiction showing a single winding would be equivalent.

What caught my eye are the center taps on the primary windings. I'm referring to the [common] brown lead in from the crossover/EQ network, tapping into both primary windings.

We were wondering if the toroidal transformers that I use could be plug-N-play replacements for the Prodigy transformers.

Assuming the the step up ratios are comparable (we don't know that), I'm thinking the center-taps on the primaries are a turd in the punch bowl...

The tandem toroid setup is (2) 230V/2x6V transformers turned around backwards to make the 6V windings the primaries & 230V windings the secondaries. With all (4) primaries in parallel and the (2) secondaries in series, the step-up ratio becomes 76:1, which is what we want.

However; with the primaries in parallel there's no place for the center-taps. We would have to change the primaries' connections from parallel to series, and then tap in between the windings. That's the turd in the punch bowl.

Putting each transformer's primaries in series would cut the step-up ratio in half (from 76:1 to 38:1), which wouldn't drive the stat panels.

Last edited:
@18000rpm have you tried getting in touch with Ron over in the service department of ML? He will likely be able to dig up some information on the OEM transformers that could help you narrow down a replacement.

@18000rpm have you tried getting in touch with Ron over in the service department of ML? He will likely be able to dig up some information on the OEM transformers that could help you narrow down a replacement.
Thanks for the suggestion. I asked Ron yesterday and got a quick reply today. He didn't provide the specs directly but gave me these two schematics. Maybe someone can decipher it?

Attachments

• power supply 115V.PDF
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Martin-logan prodigy schematics rev 1.PDF
    49.4 KB · Views: 0
If you could get the manufacturer and part number of those transformers you could probably find a data sheet on the manufacturer's website.

There should be a part number on the transformer somewhere.

Unfortunately they don't list the transformer winding ratio on any of those prints. It's probably possible to measure the existing transformers as long as they're not fried, but I'm not experienced enough to say how to go about that.

Back