What do you make/build/create

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrumpetDoug

Reaction score
At Burkes this weekend (I was the last to leave) I asked him about these wooden bowls he had on display.
They were beautiful, and unique and very interesting.
Wouldn't you know he had made them himself, along with the audio equipment stand in his audio room.

Got me thinking; I know probably many of us make/build/create things big and small. Why not share with the Logan Club.

I'll start with some rustic furniture I at one time had in a art gallery in Elgin, Il. This is a bench I made from Spalted Cherry.

Attachments

• DSC00109_2.jpg
    DSC00109_2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Doug,

Very nice!!! I wish I had skills like this. I was admiring Burke's audio component table. Maybe we can trade skills. I design and build High End medical Power conditioners.

Attachments

• Power-Cond-Digital_big.jpg
    Power-Cond-Digital_big.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 388
One of my hobbies is baking. Here is a picture of one of the many cakes I have made.

Attachments

• Julie12small.JPG
    Julie12small.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 383
I can turn beer into pee. Does that count?

Actually I enjoy painting. I've got a couple of my canvas's in my listening room...

Attachments

• Painting1.jpg
    Painting1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Painting2.jpg
    Painting2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 409
I meant to put his in quotes. I cut and paste instead.

Last edited:
I'm a DIY guy, so I make lots of stuff. Here are a few items.

2A3 tube amp
2A3set.jpg

passive preamp / isolation table
pre25.jpg

isolation sand box
isotable.jpg

LM3875TF gainclone chip amp
gain_clone_pig.jpg

JBL corner horns
35.jpg

Actually I enjoy painting. I've got a couple of my canvas's in my listening room...

I really like the painting with the fence in the right corner it sort of has a dali/floyd album cover feel to it. but the lest side has happy colors and a good feeling with motion I like that kind of art.

I love seeing all the incredible talent here. I'm waiting to see Burke's bowls and furniture.
Until then here is another bench I made and still own. This bench is entirely held together with two wooden wedges (on the ouside of the arms) that you can see in the detail pic.
The previous bench pictured at the top of the thread I sold to a friend and later tried to buy it back. He was not interested in selling.

Attachments

• DSC00111.jpg
    DSC00111.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC00112_2.jpg
    DSC00112_2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 352

Reckon the top one is actually pretty good...:eek: A bit like having your eyes shut in a 1960s type state:D

I love seeing all the incredible talent here. I'm waiting to see Burke's bowls and furniture.
Until then here is another bench I made and still own. This bench is entirely held together with two wooden wedges (on the ouside of the arms) that you can see in the detail pic.
The previous bench pictured at the top of the thread I sold to a friend and later tried to buy it back. He was not interested in selling.

What finish are you using? I still need to put the sapele pommele veneer on my new speakers and am debating the final finish.

What finish are you using? I still need to put the sapele pommele veneer on my new speakers and am debating the final finish.

My favorite finish is Danish Oil. I use literally dozens of coats (well maybe not dozens but a lot) In between the later coats I use mineral spirits to float my 600 grit wet sandpaper. This will give this oil finish a shine and luster like none other, and it is pretty much "idiot proof" which believe me I need. It is hard to mess up a oil finish. As always test on a scrap piece.

Doug - out

Last edited:
At Burkes this weekend (I was the last to leave) I asked him about these wooden bowls he had on display.
They were beautiful, and unique and very interesting.
Wouldn't you know he had made them himself, along with the audio equipment stand in his audio room.

Actually the equipment stand was built as the coffee table for the sofa I got rid of 5 years ago. It was built for the house and furniture at that time (1988) and it has never found a real place in the new house. So it got pressed into service as the audio stand when I reorganized the room 2 years ago.

I will try to post a few pictures of the bowls tonight when I get home

Two of my other hobbies (besides stereo gear!) are medieval historical re-enactment, and letterpress printing. I've been doing classes and demos in early-period printing at SCA events for about 5 years, and have printed a few small chapbooks with woodblock illustrations and hand-set type.

Here are a few pics of me at a big international SCA event in 2007, during one of my classes. The first is of me, working on setting up a type forme. The second pic is a closeup of me untying a forme that I had composed earlier, and prepping it to go into the press to print.

Attachments

• Forme2.jpg
    Forme2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Forme1.jpg
    Forme1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 298
Back