We've got em! The Beatles Box sets are here...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the reviews I read are comparing quality to the 1987 CD printings.
How do the new remasters compare to the 1993 Red & Blue albums,
2000 Beatles 1 and 2002 Sgt Peppers reissue ??

Just as an aside, I was still in high school when the Beatles hit the scene. I'm not sure those of you that didn't live through those tumultuous 60's can understand what the Beatles meant to my generation, and I know I'm not alone in strongly associated their music with those years. I and my wife will probably consume quite a bit of wine and have some very nostalgic listening sessions with this box set.

Glad you (and many, many others) will enjoy these releases.

I was a Freshman in college when they "hit" these shores, and must say I am one of those rare folks (evidently) who never "got it" about the Beatles. At the time I did not much care for their music, possibly influenced by what I perceived as their immaturity and gross arrogance (hurling insults at American women, and American values in general).

While their music has subsequently grown on me, their personalities have not. Anyway, having lived through the 60's myself, exactly what was it that the "Beatles meant to my generation?" :confused:

BTW, I bought a set of the Mono release...as a gift for my son. :rolleyes:

All the reviews I read are comparing quality to the 1987 CD printings.
How do the new remasters compare to the 1993 Red & Blue albums,
2000 Beatles 1 and 2002 Sgt Peppers reissue ??

Upon closer inspection, i see the red & blue albums were 1987
remasterings. I've always thought they sounded decent, but what about
comparisons to the newer Beatles 1, Sgt Pepper's 2002, and Love
releases. Are the new remasters noticeably better than those ?

All of the Amazon Mono box set is off of the second run and will ship in 6 weeks.

When I purchased the extra copy on Amazon earlier that day, the site said the set would ship in 3-5 days. It was a little later that they switched the shipping date. I don't know if that means that they had a few leftovers from the first run or if the initial message was a mistake. We'll see.

Just wanted t chime in -- I wasn't willing to go the 200 bucks - but went out and purchased 6 of the CDs - White Album,Abbey Road,Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt Pepper,Revolver,Let It Be....

I have listened to White album/Abbey Road (they sound fantastic), magical Mystery tour (think it sounds very good as well), Sgt Pepper (also very good - When I'm 64 sounds fantastic - I think) , Let It be (listened to some tracks - and jeez did Phil Spector mess this up - I think Let it Be naked is a better choice here), and have yet to listed to Revolver...

If you are a fan - The packaging alone is worth the 13 bucks. I A/Bd Abbey Road - and the bass lines / vocals / as everybody has said are better and cleaner than the 87 issues.

I recommend these... If you are hesitant because of the $$$- but like the music - just go get Abbey Road or the White Album - and you will get the picture - especially on your Logans!!

...Anyway, having lived through the 60's myself, exactly what was it that the "Beatles meant to my generation?"
I was actually referring to their music as opposed to the Beatles themselves. I strongly identify their music to my high school and college years. (I'd bundle the Stones and others in there, too.)

Although, if you recall, we had (or at least perceived) this huge 'rebellion' going on, and a lot of kids identified with the irreverence and 'flower child' persona the Beatles presented to the world. Frankly, my dad tells me the same sort of thing occurred in his generation, and I've witnessed it in my kids and grandchildren, too. I just think that we were the first generation to catch the emerging 'instant' national and international news and video.

Last edited:
time for me to chime in here....

I like the Beatles, but sadly, I don't know much of their music that wasn't played on the radio, so I got the stereo re-masters in hopes of discovering something new about them, and boy did I....

I have been listening for a couple of days now - WOW.

My favorite discovery (so far) about this set has been Yellow Submarine. I'm not a fan of the title track and never have been, which may be the reason I've never heard the rest of this disc. I just love the instrumental tracks on this. Very lush and sound WONDERFUL on my Summits.

I guess I should rent the movie, huh?

I just got my MONO CD set today. I cannot wait to get home and listen to them. I should get the stereo set in a few days.

Tom, The Yellow Submarine movie is great. It is a lot of fun and psychedelic trip. Just know The Beatles had very little to do with the movie.

Just finished listening to Revolver Mono remaster and all I can say is Fantastic!!! Job well done EMI.

Oh, I still hate the CD mini LP slip covers. I want my CD jewel cases back.

Last edited:
...My favorite discovery (so far) about this set has been Yellow Submarine. I'm not a fan of the title track and never have been, which may be the reason I've never heard the rest of this disc. I just love the instrumental tracks on this. Very lush and sound WONDERFUL on my Summits.

I guess I should rent the movie, huh?
BLUE MEANIES!!

(You'll understand after the movie. :D )

I just got my MONO CD set today. I cannot wait to get home and listen to them. I should get the stereo set in a few days.

Tom, The Yellow Submarine movie is great. It is a lot of fun and psychedelic trip. Just know The Beatles had very little to do with the movie.

Once you have a chance to compare the stereo versions, I'd be real
curious as to which set you would recommend for us who will only
buy one set. I'm leaning toward the monos, then adding Pepper and
Abbey Road. I'm only interested in sound quality...couldn't care less
about the packaging, liner notes, or booklets.

Last edited:
I would recommend to get both.
But if you insist on getting only one I would recommend the mono-box and the get the rest as stereo.
It seems as if the mono-box is sould out though but I read today the EMI are planning to produce more in spite of previous rumours.

I'm already on the wait list at Amazon for the mono set, plus i added
Abbey Road. I picked up Sgt Peppers today at Target and i gotta
say the recording is OK. As much as i love the Beatles, it seems
the marketers are way overselling the sound quality on these
remasters. Sgt Peppers is decent, a little better than on the
blue album (i never owned the Pepper CD), but not
as high quality as i was hoping. Have a listen to Beach Boys
Classics: Selections by Brian Wilson....there's some excellent
separation, depth and clarity on this CD. I hope the mono
versions of the early albums will justify the high price of
the box set. We'll see.

Went to my local Best Buy just to see if they had any box sets available, all sold out! So I picked up the White Album, Abbey Road and Let It Be. Then as I was heading home I thought I'd stop at my local Hi-End audio video store
Talk Of The Town in Allendale NJ http://http://www.talkofthetownvideo.com/tott/showrooms6.html

and the guys let me put on The White Album in thier Meridian Room,
Meridian 808 cd palyer and a pair of Meridian DSP7200. I thought I died and went to audio heaven!:music: The one thing that was so apparent to me in the mix was the bass drum was so clear and deep. Can't wait to hear the mono mix!

I did enjoy how the bass stood out on the Pepper CD. I haven't
done a close comparison to the Pepper songs on the Blue album
yet so I'll be checking that tomorrow.

Got a chance to listen at normal volumes today and i have to say
the Pepper remaster sounds pretty damn good. I did compare
to the Blue album...the difference is not night and day. The Blue
album acquitted itself well. The remaster is a little cleaner, a
little more prominent/forward on the vocals and some instruments.
It's worth the upgrade if you have money to burn.

Just got my mono set. Haven't had a chance to break it open yet. Expecting my stereo set tomorrow. It's going to be fun comparing the two.

Just got my mono set. Haven't had a chance to break it open yet. Expecting my stereo set tomorrow. It's going to be fun comparing the two.

Rich and others that have both sets. Once you have listen to them for a while I would be curious as to how the stereo set played in mono compares to the mono set.
I will probably only purchase one set so if the stereo played in mono sounds as good that may be the way I'll go.

Latest posts

Back