Upgrade from Velodyne DPS -12 to Grotto (not i version) worth it??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpus456

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick up a grotto for $400 cdn (used). condition is perfect.

Up until i purchase my logans the system was strictly theatre. after a 4 hr music listening session i realize that it will be mostly 50/50 now :)

I noticed that listening to the SL3's without the Velodyne (via LFE)(direct mode on the receiver) there is a lack of bass. Not bad.. but growing though my teenage years with a massive 12 inch subwoofer in my truck make thumping bass a necessity!! Because of this i have my receiver set to (Stereo) with includes the Velodyne for playback.

Would it be an upgrade to move away from my velodyne DPS and replace it with the grotto?

i would be hooking up the grotto via LFE aswell.

I noticed that the Velodyne goes down to 25 hz and the Grotto goes down to 22hz.. big difference?

Appreciate the feedback

Hola. The frequency response is not an issue with those fine subs. But, the Grotto offers a feature called "Servo Control". This unit, the Grotto, besides that is has a little better frequency response, the good thing is the low distortion that it has. The bass is very robust, clean and clear. Try it, you might like it as I do. Happy listening!

Just finished playing around with the grotto... WOW!!! i cant believe how much bass is coming from that little thing and man does that 10 ever move!.

the only thing that im noticing it that i can pinpoint the subs placement (didn't have that issue with the velodyne),but i think that is just related to the sheer power of this little thing!

i have my low/pass set to 80 on my receiver, which is what it was before..maybe the placement in not going to work as it did for the velodye!

Hola...you should feel the sub, perceive it, not to listen it... bring down the frequency cut at the sub, not using the LFE input, and bring the level down at a point where the unit disappears into the room with the right robust and deepness of the bass energy...happy listening!

I recently had SL3s an added a Grotto sub. Big difference. I ended up placing it right in between both speakers for added bass extension. Worked out to be a very good combo, IMO. Also, I used my home theater sub via LFE for movies only and the grotto for music. Good luck and happy listening!

I'm thinking about connect the grotto up front with my SL3, aswell as use it with for my LFE

The manual says to use a a rca Y splitters for my left and right channels on my processor . One set will got to my amp and the other set to the grotto.

Will splitting the signal degrade the sound quality at all ?

The Grotto is capable of receiving both LFE and RCA inputs. So you can have the best of both worlds and use the Grotto for music using the L and R RCA inputs and also use the Grotto LFE input connected to the sub output of your ss processor/receiver for movies.

The Grotto is capable of receiving both LFE and RCA inputs. So you can have the best of both worlds and use the Grotto for music using the L and R RCA inputs and also use the Grotto LFE input connected to the sub output of your ss processor/receiver for movies.

And to answer your question - splitting the output from your processor might degrade the output level/input device and possibly the quality, depending on the output signal/impedance of your processor.

And to answer your question - splitting the output from your processor might degrade the output level/input device and possibly the quality, depending on the output signal/impedance of your processor.

Would it be best to run the output from the processor first to the grotto, then use the l/r out from the grotto to the amp?? thus eliminating the need for the Y cable?

I'd be concerned about degradation in quality by inserting the Grotto in series with the processor and your amp. You'd have to try it and see for yourself how it sounds. Your only other option would be to procure a preamp, receiver, etc with dual outputs or go with the "Y" connection as ML states.

Latest posts

Back