Depth i problem?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexl911

Reaction score
My HT system consisted of a Depth i sub and Anthem MRX 300 receiver. A friend of mine who has a Depth i borrowed my sub to try a set-up with two subs. He noticed that the sub 'buzzed' and that it's output was less compared to his sub. When I tried it in my system again I did not notice the buzzing but I really did not thoroughly test it. I did notice that the bass seemed less 'powerful'. Rather than properly test it at that time I ignored it as I got busy with other things. I thought that perhaps I just needed to upgrade the receivers firmware and run the Anthem Room Correction again.

Recently I had the opportunity to trade-up to a new MRX-710 but when setting it up, I realized that there was an issue with the sub bass as it was very anemic and muddy -even more than before. So far, no amount of adjusting the processor has managed to solve the issue. The last thing I did was run a sub only test tone via ARC and that's when I heard this 'buzzing' sound at the end of the tone. It's sounds like a distortion and seems to come from all three woofers. When playing, the sub does not click, pop or hum. I believe the issue has to be with the sub and not the receiver and nothing else has changed. Has anyone else experienced this??

Not much experience with receivers or subs. However, have briefly listened to Denon, Marantz and Anthem receivers. And a ML Dynamo sub.

What marque receiver does your friend own, is Anthem?

Case A: Friend does not use Anthem receiver?
Friend has done comparison with his okay Depthi. Observation: your Depthi buzzes and weak output.

Conclusion:
I think your sub has developed a fault. Since it has been compared with similar but ok Depth i.
Since i am not an electronics expert not possible to say what has gone wrong inside sub. If warranty is valid you can have the defective part replaced.

Case B: Friend has Anthem receiver.
There is one test I think you must do. I listened to Anthem MRX 510 through the Electromotion. The sound quality was very good. Like a 90's FPB krell amp. Except for two caveats. Namely, vocals were quite subdued and bass seemed very very weak.

Conclusion:
Test your Depthi with receiver other than Anthem. Play the same media through Depthi like with Anthem MRX 710. If there is much improvement in bass then sub is okay and fault lies with the receiver.
Launched in 2007 the Depthi looks like a high quality subwoofer with 900 watts peak power handling. Through normal use it should not have developed a defect in approaching 8 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend does not have an Anthem sub but I'm sure the sub has a fault. Really my question was if anybody has experienced a similar fault??

My friend does not have an Anthem sub but I'm sure the sub has a fault. Really my question was if anybody has experienced a similar fault??

My effort was simply to help you determine whether the fault was in your Depthi or in some outside variable causing your sub to under-perform.

Seems to me you do not have iota of doubt that the sub has developed a fault.

Now you need feedback from some one who has experienced a similar problem with their Depthi sub.

Never owned a sub or a receiver. Therefore not possible for me to offer further advice.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back