UNABLE TO UPGRADE STR INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER FIRMWARE OR SOFTWARE.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehan Azim Hashmi

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
UNABLE TO UPGRADE STR INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER FIRMWARE OR SOFTWARE.

INTRODUCTION.

I have an HP personal computer and a str integrated amplifier without Bluetooth.

I have installed the latest usb XMOS driver and new arc genesis software and microphone calibration file.

BODY.
The Anthem 1.8.3 firmware upgrade file that I downloaded has an udp file extension and is not a zip file.

When i try to upgrade str firmware to the latest ver. through ARC software. A message pops up that states connection error.

I have waited for the str firmware file to load for 45 minutes but no development takes place.

CONCLUSION.
Please if possible do let me know 3 things:

1. Do I need to download a 1.8.3 firmware zip file rather than a file with UDP file extension?

2. What is the right way to connect STR integ. and personal computer and if required the modem?

3. How long do I have to wait for ARC software to complete the command given?

Many thanks for providing assistance.

First port-of-caall would be dealer where you bought the STR. If that's not an option, Anthem support is pretty responsive. How old is the STR?

Newer devices usually have an ethernet port on the back for updates direct. I guess yours is a bit older? It could be that your hardware doesn't support the newer software, if it's getting long in the tooth.

First port-of-caall would be dealer where you bought the STR. If that's not an option, Anthem support is pretty responsive. How old is the STR?

First, thanks for the advice. i have sent an identical message to Anthem support and i am waiting for their reply. Working days are from Monday to Friday. Expect a reply from them if not on Monday then on Tuesday.

Newer devices usually have an ethernet port on the back for updates direct. I guess yours is a bit older? It could be that your hardware doesn't support the newer software, if it's getting long in the tooth.

First, many thanks for advice.

Anthem STR integrated has an ethernet port on the back and a port for personal computer update. Have tried both options.

Anthem STR integrated is not so old to be incompatible with latest software. Like i stated was able to install latest relevant XMOS audio driver for STR and microphone calibration file and able to install latest relevant ARC Genesis software.

Unable only to install and upgrade STR firmware to latest version.

Once again Robert many thanks for your advice.

First, many thanks for advice.

Anthem STR integrated has an ethernet port on the back and a port for personal computer update. Have tried both options.

Anthem STR integrated is not so old to be incompatible with latest software. Like i stated was able to install latest relevant XMOS audio driver for STR and microphone calibration file and able to install latest relevant ARC Genesis software.

Unable only to install and upgrade STR firmware to latest version.

Once again Robert many thanks for your advice.
I've had repeated trouble like that trying to update my Marantz receiver. It's never smooth now. PITA.

Which version of windows is your computer running?

I’m running Win 10 on an old Dell desktop and successfully updated my STR preamp’s firmware to 1.8.3 using the latest version of ARC Genesis via USB.

Which version of windows is your computer running?

I’m running Win 10 on an old Dell desktop and successfully updated my STR preamp’s firmware to 1.8.3 using the latest version of ARC Genesis via USB.

First many thanks for your effort to provide advice.

Computer is running the latest version of Windows. HP Computer is in use few months over 2 years.

Was the firmware file that you downloaded zipped. And had to follow a procedure to extract the file?

Since computer shows connection error message. Please if possible may let me know what kind of cable you used. And where each of the two end of cable was connected, in which device.

Your answer will really help me get it right.

Thanks very much for provision of advice.

No problem with the help!

I did not have to unzip the file to get it to work with ARC Genesis.

For the connection between the STR and the computer, I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KL8N6A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also think that I had the STR connected to both the USB cable and the ethernet. Not sure if that would change things, but it's certainly worth a try if you've only been using one or the other.

Good luck!

No problem with the help!

I did not have to unzip the file to get it to work with ARC Genesis.

For the connection between the STR and the computer, I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KL8N6A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also think that I had the STR connected to both the USB cable and the ethernet. Not sure if that would change things, but it's certainly worth a try if you've only been using one or the other.

Good luck!

First, many thanks for advice and good wishes.

Thanks for letting me know no need to unzip the file to get it to work with ARC Genesis. Helped to reaffirm I was on the right track.

Thanks for taking the trouble to provide link with exact description of cable. Reassured me I have the correct cable. I have a similar cable with identical connectors factory supplied along with Anthem.

I had tried a few days ago both Ethernet and usb cable connected at the same time. Signal Originating end of the Ethernet cable first time connected to broadband modem. This time around I connected signal originating end to personal computer. I connected both cables.

However unfortunately could not resolve the problem.

The problem I think arises because the personal computer fails to recognize Anthem STR amplifier. Therefore is unable to link with STR and update STR firmware.

Please do not be concerned since I am expecting Anthem support to help me fix the problem.

Once again, thanks very much for taking the trouble to offer advice.

With my Marantz, I just connect my receiver directly to the internet via a single ethernet cable. No need to involve a PC. Isn't the Anthem able to download the new firmware directly from the internet? You should not need to be connected to a computer.

With my Marantz, I just connect my receiver directly to the internet via a single ethernet cable. No need to involve a PC. Isn't the Anthem able to download the new firmware directly from the internet? You should not need to be connected to a computer.

Many thanks to team Anthem providing a solution. Through implementation of instruction, able to completely upgrade Anthem STR integrated amplifier, to the latest version. My system now sounds greatly dynamically nuanced and I am glued to the chair.

I have requested team Anthem to give me permission to copy-paste the body of their advice. Therefore if allowed will post their advice.

Thanks very much to, in chronological order, Russr, Robert and Lurch490 for expending effort and devoting their precious time to come up with a solution.

All credit to team Anthem for providing the following effective solution, solved the problem.

Please open ARC Genesis and use the "Launch" option instead of "Software update". The Launch option will automatically prompt you to update your device if there is a newer version of firmware available.

If you run into any issues using the Launch option please follow the steps below to power cycle your device.

1. Turn the unit off
2. Disconnect the power cable, USB cable(s), and network cable if used
3. Push the power button on the front of the unit 5-6 times
4. Reconnect the power cable, USB cable(s), and network cable if used
5. Power on the device
6. Open ARC and use Launch option within ARC.

All credit to team Anthem for providing the following effective solution, solved the problem.

Please open ARC Genesis and use the "Launch" option instead of "Software update". The Launch option will automatically prompt you to update your device if there is a newer version of firmware available.

If you run into any issues using the Launch option please follow the steps below to power cycle your device.

1. Turn the unit off
2. Disconnect the power cable, USB cable(s), and network cable if used
3. Push the power button on the front of the unit 5-6 times
4. Reconnect the power cable, USB cable(s), and network cable if used
5. Power on the device
6. Open ARC and use Launch option within ARC.
Thats great that you got an answer from them relatively fast. Posting it on here may help others.

In hindsight there is a need to link the target device to the PC rather than directly to the modem. Command is required that originates from the ARC software running on the PC and results in target device firmware being upgraded to the latest version. Upgrade of firmware takes place via instruction from ARC software. Since ARC software runs on a PC, therefore the PC needs to be connected.

Anthem Co. values fast provision of support. Service faster than provided to me, may be categorized very fast by me.

Hope my response to you is satisfactory.

In hindsight there is a need to link the target device to the PC rather than directly to the modem. Command is required that originates from the ARC software running on the PC and results in target device firmware being upgraded to the latest version. Upgrade of firmware takes place via instruction from ARC software. Since ARC software runs on a PC, therefore the PC needs to be connected.

Anthem Co. values fast provision of support. Service faster than provided to me, may be categorized very fast by me.

Hope my response to you is satisfactory.
Ok, I didn't realize that. Most devices don't require any external devices to upgrade the firmware. I'm glad you got it all worked out.

Back