Updating Firmware on my Marantz SR8012 buggy now

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
So the last two updates I have done both get stuck in the download notification. It just sits there with the icon spinning and says downloading. Ive never had that happen before now. So both times I unplugged the unit and then turned it back on. The screen is clear then and when I check for an update it says I have the latest firmware. I dont think there is anyway that the updates were actually installed because it did not go through the normal procedure where it says it is installing and then the % is displayed. As I remember, the unit usually turns on and off at least once too. None of that happened, but somehow it thinks the firmware is the latest.

Seems like something got screwed up, or am i just worried about nothing? It runs great with no issues. Part of me says just leave it alone since "it aint broke, dont fix it". The other part of me is bothered to think that my firmware is old.

I know the procedure to reset it back to factory settings but am hesitant to do it because Im worried that I wont be able to update the firmware and will be stuck with firmware that is several years old now. I dont see any files on Marantz's website for downloading firmware and then installing it by USB. The manual doesnt even talk about that.

Maybe there is a hardware issue with the network parts in the receiver? I dont use it on the internet at all except to update firmware. The connection is by ethernet and speed is up around 500.

Another thing that sucks is that I will lose settings when I reset it, but I see that I can save settings on a USB and then reinstall them after I do the reset. Im worried that if there is an error then I might reintroduce it when I load up the settings again.

My plan is to wait until the next update and see if it happens a third time. If it does, then I will probably reset to factory settings and give it a try. Does anyone on here have experience with this?

If it were me I would stop the firmware updates.

I own a Marantz AV7703. With my last update the internet capability of the unit no longer worked. I contacted Marantz and got no response.

I had our HT/automation system person look at it and he said, as of late, this is common with Marantz updates. We tried the factory reset a few times and nothing changed.
He had been a Marantz dealer for years and dropped them and went to either Yamaha or Dennon, I don't recall which.

I ended up needing to add a Sonos unit to be able to access music from my NAS in my listening room.

Very disappointing as Marantz has been so dependable for many years.

Good luck, I hope the reset will work for you.

Brad

If it were me I would stop the firmware updates.

I own a Marantz AV7703. With my last update the internet capability of the unit no longer worked. I contacted Marantz and got no response.

I had our HT/automation system person look at it and he said, as of late, this is common with Marantz updates. We tried the factory reset a few times and nothing changed.
He had been a Marantz dealer for years and dropped them and went to either Yamaha or Dennon, I don't recall which.

I ended up needing to add a Sonos unit to be able to access music from my NAS in my listening room.

Very disappointing as Marantz has been so dependable for many years.

Good luck, I hope the reset will work for you.

Brad
I'm going to take your advice and just stop trying to update! It works great now, so no need to mess with it. I will just turn off updates. Thanks for telling me your story. Now I know this is no fluke!

No more Marantz for me either. I bought a nice Yamaha receiver for gaming on my PC and I'm very impressed with the features and sound on it.

My long term plan is to continue using this Marantz AVR until the recession straightens out the housing market and its more affordable to build a home. Then I'll build a new home and home theater, using separates instead of an AVR.
It sounds like Anthem is the go to for an affordable processor. I'll look at that. I'm thinking a pair of Emotiva 5 channel amps to go with that. The Anthem 5 channel amps cost 2x as much. The Emotiva monoblock I have seems great so far powering my Focus center channel speaker.

Back