System Down!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrumpetDoug

Reaction score
Well here is a first.

Playing the system yesterday and suddenly..................nothing.

Went dead.....everything is still lit up, ticker is working on the cd player.

When tubes go, do they just..........go? I have the CJ stuff and was wondering about that possibility.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Doug - out

PS This is a latte post because I just got home from a long playing weekend.

When tubes go, do they just..........go? I have the CJ stuff and was wondering about that possibility.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Doug - out

PS This is a latte post because I just got home from a long playing weekend.

Can do I s'pose......not sure. I've always had valves go noisy before they actually die......did both channels go at once? You're going to need to isolate which component it is first. You mention the CD player - is that definitely the problem, or is it something else?

not enough information Doug, as Amey said do some isolation tests first...........I suppose it's possible a PS board in both speakers failed at the same time, seems a little unlikely though.

In so far as tubes go, a low voltage gain tube(s) in your pre-amp could have failed without going microphonic first.

Last edited:
Hola. To me, it looks like a pre amp power transformer failure. Do this: just take one RCA cable at the output of the preamp, and touch the center of the RCA. If you have a heavy hum induced my your touching, them the amp is OK. The transformer of the C-J has several secondaries coils, and one could be open, making this to have one stage for both channels complete dead, and no signal goes through it. Reason why everything looks like everthing is OK, but no signal. If it is another thing, tell us please.

It could be a blown fuse in the preamp, but if the lights are on..... we don't know that. Definitely not enough info.

OK guys!!!!!!

I love this site!! Gordon encouraged me to try another source. I did. The table worked.:rocker: Got looking at my pre-amp more closely and I had a source chosen wrong!!! Don't ask!!:banghead: It's been one of those weekends.

Thanks everyone for all the help and concern. As I said earlier, I love this forum and all that it has to offer.

Call off the dogs guys...listening to Dave Grusin as I reply.:music:

Doug - out

I will ask. Do you want to enlighten? How could you be listening away happily and then select the incorrect source half-way through a listening session, unknowingly?

May he sat on the remote control and inadvertanly changed the source?
Glad you figured it out Doug :).

I will ask. Do you want to enlighten? How could you be listening away happily and then select the incorrect source half-way through a listening session, unknowingly?

Quick reply here gotta go.
This has happened b4 to me. The remote seemed to (on its own) switch. Can't tell you why but this is the second time in a few years that this has happened.

Doug - out

Might want to check and see if any of your other remotes are using the same key codes. May be getting switched inadvertently when you press the remote for some other component.

Back