System #96 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the panels are filled in the back with a couple of sheets of polyester fill material and then the back side is covered with cloth material to hold it all in. I use eyelets and picture framing wire to hang it on the wall like a picture frame. I then have furniture foot sliders on all the corners with a 1/2 felt pad on top of that to keep them separated from the wall by over an inch. I didn't want them to hang flush on the wall.

This picture better represents the color of the silk...sort of...it's difficult with to get the colors right with just a pocket camera. Better lighting will help.

Attachments

• Thai silk.jpg
    Thai silk.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 547
DIY Panels. Actually, I think they're harder to photograph correctly than they are to make.

Attachments

• DIY Panels.jpg
    DIY Panels.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 552
What made you go back to the Electrocompaniet's in favor of the Art Audio?

I still have the Art Audio Jota. I change between the Art Audio and the Electrocompaniets AW220s every few months. The Electrocompaniets seem to do a better job overall with these speakers and a listening test with some friends over had the same opinion. For solid state amps these AW220 amps come pretty close to having warm sounding tube qualities with good bass to boot.

These speakers will play fine with the Art Audio but I'm pretty sure that a reasonably efficient pair of cone speakers will bring out more of the Art Audio's 300BXLS sonic virtues. But that is why I've been searching for a more powerful SET amp for the Summits. However, it seems to be an exercise in futility or too cost prohibitive.

Therefore, I think my best option is to find a good matching cone speaker to use with the Art Audio and have a second system with a nice lush warm sonic 300B SET tube type voice or at least a different flavor from the electrostat and SS system. I like steak AND lobster.

Last edited:
The old...hide the panels behind the window shade and curtain trick!

Attachments

• hidden panels.jpg
    hidden panels.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 546
Craig, you have GOT to update your system pics with those incredible Nemo's. The shots from the Tampa Bay gathering recently were amazing. Those are some juicy looking amps. Please post some pictures here and give us all some impressions of them.

Love looking at your system setup!

qyed5z.jpg

Thanks for the WAF approval. That seems to be more elusive than the ultimate sound. Here is the configuration with the 24 watt tube amp and tube preamp. I'm trying out the Depth i sub with a 2 channel Summit setup. You can certainly get by without a sub with the Summits but it sure didn't hurt. Just requires some tuning and I didn't spend the time to find the optimum setting.

Last edited:
avlr1c.jpg

This is the current setup with the Electrocompaniet Nemo Monoblocks. It's rather simple with the Wadia 581i CD/SACD Player going direct into the amps and the SB3 with digital out direct into the Wadia. It sound very transparent this way. Although the Art Audio VP1 Tube Preamp does present a larger soundstage.

My ever evolving system has changed once again with the main difference being that I'm now using CLSIIz speakers instead of the Summits and a Descent i is laying down the bottom end and blending very well with the panels.

The Summits are being well represented in another room and powered with 16 watt 845 SET amp with volume control. And I'm very pleased with how that is working out.

I'll see if can post some updated photos this weekend.

Craig, Nemos on the CLS's I assume ?

Man, most guys don't change their socks as often as you are changing your systems ! LOL !

That reminds me...I need to go change my socks!

I must agree Craig that you have done a great job with your setup. Evidently I have never scrolled down and looked at all of your pictures before and therefore did not notice the evolution that has taken place. Me likey as well!!!:D

Glen

His system changes so much, he'd be better off installing a live webcam feed, so we can view his "system du jour" :D

24gn37s.jpg

Until I get the live webcam feed setup I'll have to stick with photos. Here's the latest version.

CLSIIz reproduce sound precisely and are driven by Cary Audio Founder's Edition 845 AE monoblocks. Music and volume control by Wadia 781i. Music signals transported through Harmonic Technology Magic XLR cables and pure silver Noble & Noble speaker cables. Computer based music served by Logitech Squeezebox 3 and decoded to analog by the Wadia. The low notes are tightly formed and energized in the room via a MartinLogan Descent i. The CLSIIz speakers are supported by Brad225 custom CLS stands.

A good friend loaned me the Founders Edition amps and I'll soon have to return these sweet, clean airy sounding tube power houses. Stay tuned for next months system.

Last edited:
Thanks. Although, I do need to post a better photo and adjust for the ambient tungsten lighting.

Hm... now that looks like my kind of system. Bet those big 845s sound great with the CLSs. Enjoy the Carys while they are around.

Back