System #361 (CLX, Descent i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noted! My room is in need of better traps! I will check out the goods and let you know. thanks!

How do you know when your system is too awesome? When your biggest gripe is better room acoustics management. That is one awesome set-up. Love the lights. Its a nice touch.

Thanks! yea I love having the Ambiance as well as the amazing setup. Just got my Thor turned into the new Majjor $25k version, first to have it! It is absolutey amazing. Also just grabbed a new Vinyl setup with the Clearaudio Concept and CA basic + stage and Meastro cart, very nice. cheers folks.

Hi Bernard, coming soon, its summer time and I have been running around like crazy....maybe this weekend...cheers!

Pete... did you get my pm from a week or so ago? Do you still have my maine.rr.com email address? Just want to close with you one way or another regarding Aug 6th.

Thanks... and where the hell are those TT pics??? ;)

Todd,

left you a voicemail. Ok here are the pics!

Attachments

• Clearaudio_concept.jpg
    Clearaudio_concept.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 816
  • CLX_Clearaudio1.jpg
    CLX_Clearaudio1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 690
Hi Pete!

It's been a while since I last visited this site, so I didn't know you had joined. Great to have you with us here!:)

Your setup is phenomenal! First rate all the way around! I just drool everytime I see those CLX's.:drool::drool::drool: I am seriously jealous.;) And the audio gear is sweet! MBL amps! WOW!

In your last e-mail you mentioned that you were thinking about assembling a HT setup in another room. Have you decided if you're going for that larger TV?

Thanks for sharing your amazing system!

Seth

Hey Seth,

good to hear from you my friend. thanks for the kind words as always. Yes i am loving this setup minus the room but I really cant complain. I was just up in maine over the weekend and spent a little time listening to Todd's systems. TSV_1 is the user name.

Amazing system as well.
Hows your system coming along?
I didnt buy the TV yet, but did grab a ML Cinema i the other day and might pickup some ML vantage again and see what happens. Right now I have the 50" plazma with the Cinema i and the Duevel Venus speakers, sounds real good. cheers Seth

Hi Pete,

I can only imagine how amazing your system is sounding now with all the new additions. Got yourself a Cinema i, very nice! I had a Cinema i before I got the Theater i, it's an excellent speaker! Do you have a sub in with your HT setup? You had mentioned about possibly getting an SSP for the HT setup, any ideas on which one?

I haven't heard from your dad in a while, how's he doing? Any new additions to his 2 channel system?

Nothing new for me at the moment. Just patiently waiting for that nice new 70" or larger passive 3D LED TV to become available. The other thing I'm waiting on is an upgrade that Denon will be offering to AVP-A1HDCI owners in October. The upgrade will make the AVP-A1HDCI fully current with the latest technology (HDMI 1.4a, Audyssey xt32 with Pro enabled, Audyssey DSX, Dolby PLIIz, and a possibility of other things as well). I'm definitely going to send my Denon AVP pre-pro in for the upgrade.

Take care my friend,

Seth

Howdy Seth! yea this system is very very amazing to me. Im telling you the new Thor I got coupled with the MBL & CLX is just hands down awesome! Ive heard better systems and better stage in bigger rooms, but the detail that eminates from this system is hair raising. I ended up getting a cheap Onkyo for my living room for now. I wanted to test out cheaper gear to see if I really wanted HT. And so far I do! So maybe next year I will get the proper Seprates.

My dad is good, he has down sized the sytem to just the Prodigy, AMR 77 and LSA Statement which sounds fantastic.

nice! 70" sounds fun. Yes! absolutely send it in and let me know if there are real differences. cheers my friend.

Updated the system pic with current components! yeaaaa boyeeeee...ha! fun

Do you think using RealTraps' HF MondoTraps along the front wall would be even better? (I'm considering doing this with my room.)

I didn't see an answer to this question from awhile back.
I am looking seriously at Real Traps and for behind my Summits and am torn between Mini Traps or Mondo "Fat" 6" Traps 2' X 4', or the regular Mondo Traps which are 2' X - 4'9". Would have to either stack these on 2' X 2' Mondos, OR use a stand which might be better since it would elevate the Traps above the woofers, yet still cover the panel from behind. This is in place of attaching them to the wall, so they would be free standing closer behind the Summits.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see an answer to this question from awhile back.
I am looking seriously at Real Traps and for behind my Summits and am torn between Mini Traps or Mondo "Fat" 6" Traps 2' X 4', or the regular Mondo Traps which are 2' X - 4'9". Would have to either stack these on 2' X 2' Mondos, OR use a stand which might be better since it would elevate the Traps above the woofers, yet still cover the panel from behind. This is in place of attaching them to the wall, so they would be free standing closer behind the Summits.

Thoughts anyone?
Behind the Summits to absorb the back wave or bass or both? 4" thick with a few inches of gap between the trap and the wall will absorb well into the bass region. If you're trying to also cover as much of the lower bass as possible, go for the 6". 4'9" on the stand should be plenty tall. Too tall and, IME, you start to overabsorb and lose actually helpful reflections which provide ambiance.

Real traps behind Summits

Behind the Summits to absorb the back wave or bass or both? 4" thick with a few inches of gap between the trap and the wall will absorb well into the bass region. If you're trying to also cover as much of the lower bass as possible, go for the 6". 4'9" on the stand should be plenty tall. Too tall and, IME, you start to overabsorb and lose actually helpful reflections which provide ambiance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
See this is where I get confused . . .

If the panels are at least 5 feet from the front wall, which mine are (or will be in the finished basement), my question is it better to have a free standing panel a foot or so directly behind the Summits woofer case (need space to clear the power cord and speaker cables) OR to have the panel 4" off the wall as real Traps suggests? Is a single 2' X 4' trap, 5' from the panel going to be enough absorption, or will I need two pannels on the wall?

Reason for the stand idea is to raise the panel 6" - 8" off the floor, thus allowing the downwrad firing base cone to be free of "obstruction". Maybe a better "pattern" as I believe the manual shows the base radiating outward from beneath, like a pebble in the water. This way, I am only absorbing the panel.

So . . . better to have the panel(s) on the wall or behind the woofer case, closer to the panel? In each case which thickness should I use, the 4'-1/4" or the 6"? Either way I would use the HF version to absorb the mids and highs.

Right now I am looking at three options . . . Real Traps, GIK and ASC Tube traps (another animal altogether, more expensive and must be at leat 2' behind the woofer case again due to wires). I see a lot on the site about all three and am studying up

ASC tube traps

I use 16" ASC tube traps (7' high) behind the Summits, and Magneplanar
Tympani bass panels. The Summits are 5' out from the wall and the
bass panels are 9' out. The corners have full 16" round ASC bass traps
behind the speakers as well. They provide great bass absorption
and because of the built in reflectors also adjustable high frequency
redirection (great ambience and imaging) which prevents over damping
of upper frequencies. A lot more versatile than most flat panel absorbers.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 486
I use 16" ASC tube traps (7' high) behind the Summits, and Magneplanar
Tympani bass panels. The Summits are 5' out from the wall and the
bass panels are 9' out. The corners have full 16" round ASC bass traps
behind the speakers as well. They provide great bass absorption
and because of the built in reflectors also adjustable high frequency
redirection (great ambience and imaging) which prevents over damping
of upper frequencies. A lot more versatile than most flat panel absorbers.

Just curious, did you ever try flat panels behind the Summits, Like Real Traps or GIK?
What is that white panel to the side in your picture?
About how far back from the Summit woofer case is the Tube Trap?
Evidently whatever the distance, you feel that the Trap is absorbing the back wave and helping trap base as well, correct?

The Tube Traps are pretty expensive and in fact when I called they would not even quote me on a trap over 5 feet that was over 13" in diamter. I would think a 5 foot trap would work as the Summits are about 60" tall. I'm wondering if a 13" would suffice behind the Summits. They can make a 5' 13" for $775 each!

Sorry for all of the questions! It's just that due to how expensive these acoustic traetments are, and the inability to "hear" them at a "store" or at someones home, it is hard to decide who to give my credit card to :)

THANK YOU.

TFA

Last edited by a moderator:
ASC tube traps work very well

I also use GIK bass traps behind the seating area and other flat panel
absorbers as well. The ASC tube traps, being circular with reflective
membranes diffuse the mids and highs, where the flat panels do not.

The large ASC tube traps help with bass absorption for the Magneplanar
Tympani bass panels and reduce comb effects.

The white panel is my video projection screen, which also contributes
with bass absorption (there is a 3" space behind the screen filled
with fiberglass insulation).

Yes, ASC tube traps are quite expensive, but work much better than
flat panel absorbers. I have 33 ASC bass and midrange traps
spread out around the entire perimeter of the room and other traps
as well, and could not be happier with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 351
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
See this is where I get confused . . .

If the panels are at least 5 feet from the front wall, which mine are (or will be in the finished basement), my question is it better to have a free standing panel a foot or so directly behind the Summits woofer case (need space to clear the power cord and speaker cables) OR to have the panel 4" off the wall as real Traps suggests? Is a single 2' X 4' trap, 5' from the panel going to be enough absorption, or will I need two pannels on the wall?
My advice is to try it both ways. IME, placing a tube trap directly behind the speaker killed far too much ambience. I settled on large dia. tube traps in the front (and rear) corners for bass absorption, plus a 2x4x6" "flat" trap on the front wall near each corner to absorb 100Hz-20kHz of the backwave. I can post a photo, if you like.

Reason for the stand idea is to raise the panel 6" - 8" off the floor, thus allowing the downwrad firing base cone to be free of "obstruction". Maybe a better "pattern" as I believe the manual shows the base radiating outward from beneath, like a pebble in the water. This way, I am only absorbing the panel.
That's fine. IMO, I'd separate bass absorption from backwave absorption, with thick bass traps (or large dia. tube traps) in the corners and separate panels or tube trap(s) to attenuate the backwave ~100Hz-20kHz.

So . . . better to have the panel(s) on the wall or behind the woofer case, closer to the panel? In each case which thickness should I use, the 4'-1/4" or the 6"? Either way I would use the HF version to absorb the mids and highs.
See above. For the frequencies you're interested in, 4" absorber + a few inches of air gap should be fine, however 6" will provide somewhat more attenuation.

Right now I am looking at three options . . . Real Traps, GIK and ASC Tube traps (another animal altogether, more expensive and must be at leat 2' behind the woofer case again due to wires). I see a lot on the site about all three and am studying up
Again IME, I use tube traps in the corners simply because they're slightly more aesthetically pleasing, not because they're necessarily more effective. RealTraps vs. GIK is functionally a tossup, but I've owned both and RealTraps are far better made and worth the extra coin. Yes, tube traps do provide a poly diffusor side which can be useful, but I've found that they hinder rather than help on the front wall. I do use the poly side in the rear corners. ETC measurements via REW or Omnimic or similar will help in this regard.

That is some serious trapping. I need to get me started!

Back