Surge/line conditioners

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Murgen

Is it necessary to plug the ML speakers into a surge/line conditioner? I see nothing about that in the ML manual reccomending this. Is the speaker protected by it's own circuity against surges? :confused: I see it only draws 5 watts so its not like you'd be overtaxing a line conditioner at all running them on one. Guess I answered my own question.

You can if you are getting any AC line noise. I mainly use my line conditioners as a surge protector. What line conditioner are you running?

I running Monster Cable strip conditioners on the system now but they are not mine and I need to buy some of my own at this time. I've purchased a Tripp Lite LCR2400 for the number of outlets and surge protection. Haven't gotten it yet. I have a PowerVar isolation transformer ABC400-11 conditioner/surge protector I'm running my Preamp and DVD player on. It's not the new one. It's from like 1988. But It seems to work fine. Amps are hooked into the amp outlets on the monsters. Speakers are hooked up to the Monsters.

Last edited:
99.9% of monster equipment is over priced junk. When your tripp lite comes in it will solve all your problems.

Kevin said:
99.9% of monster equipment is over priced junk. When your tripp lite comes in it will solve all your problems.

Absolutely, Monster's price is unbelievable. Personnally, I use a surge protector... for computers... Far cheaper, even if you go to the best brands... :)

Cool. I'll just run everything through the trip lite and be done with it. I have a A/V closet behind the TV so even if the Trip Lite does make some humming/clicking I'll never hear it. Besides as you can see in my sig I have a lot of big purchases to fill out my system and money can be better spent imo on replacing the sub and Klipsch.

Last edited:
Cool. I'll just run everything through the trip lite and be done with it. I have a A/V closet behind the TV so even if the Trip Lite does make some humming/clicking I'll never hear it.

I run 3 tripp lite LCR2400 line conditioners and can not hear them. If you turn them on in a dead quiet room an listen really close you can hear a little hum and I mean little. The "clicking" only happens when you first turn the unit on or when your "line input monitor" on the unit changes. If your power cords are not long enough to reach the LCR2400 you can always buy another one because they are so cheap.

Besides as you can see in my sig I have a lot of big purchases to fill out my system and money can be better spent imo on replacing the sub and Klipsch.

Exactly. Just like when people run a $500 interconnect to connect a $500 DVD player, when the $1000 DVD player and stock connectors will blow the cheaper DVD player out of the water.

Surge plus . .

pat17 said:
Absolutely, Monster's price is unbelievable. Personnally, I use a surge protector... for computers... Far cheaper, even if you go to the best brands... :)

Same here, although with one addition - I use a surge protector with a Russ Andrews 'Silencer' plug in one of the outlets. Minimal cost for pretty good benefit.

Cheers,

David

Kevin said:

I agree. Not that it's bad, way over priced for what you get.

Latest posts

Back