Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides getting out into our beautiful mid to upper 70's weather today, I managed to get in a great progressive rock listening session. The band is the Big Big Train and the albums were, "Gathering Speed", "The Difference Machine" and "The Underfall Yard". All are excellent. Think early Genesis and Yes as influences.
793656040_B7tLd-L.jpg

I was able see Carrie Rodriguez on Friday here in town when she was the opening act for Los Lonely Boys at our local theater. Wow, a very talented musician playing mandolin, fiddle and 4 string guitar. Her genre is Americana, Folk, and Roots. While Los Lonely Boys were good, top billing should've gone to Carrie, IMHO!

I was able to pick up her latest release "Love and Circumstance", which won't be released to the general public until 4/13. This disc shows her talent both as a player and singer! Recommended!

Attachments

• IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 199
started with the new Gil Scott Heron LP I'm New Here (XL Recordings XLLP471) which is his comeback album. I followed that with jazz trombonist JJ Johnson's The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson on Blue Note (1505)

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 197
Besides getting out into our beautiful mid to upper 70's weather today, I managed to get in a great progressive rock listening session. The band is the Big Big Train and the albums were, "Gathering Speed", "The Difference Machine" and "The Underfall Yard". All are excellent. Think early Genesis and Yes as influences.
793656040_B7tLd-L.jpg

I'll have to give those a listen Steve, thanks for the progressive reference there. Never heard of that band.

By the way, its a cool 30 degrees outside after a two foot plus snowfall here...I'd rather be inside listening to some tunes...

I'll have to give those a listen Steve, thanks for the progressive reference there. Never heard of that band.

By the way, its a cool 30 degrees outside after a two foot plus snowfall here...I'd rather be inside listening to some tunes...

That's last week's post, it only hit the 60's today. This morning, I went to the car show in Leander and haven't listened to my system.

I first read about Big Big Train from Jonathan's (JonFo) 12/13 post about the free song download. Big thanks to Jonathan for the post about a talented group. That's what I like most about this thread; the learning of new (to me) artists and music.

That's last week's post, it only hit the 60's today. This morning, I went to the car show in Leander and haven't listened to my system.

I first read about Big Big Train from Jonathan's (JonFo) 12/13 post about the free song download. Big thanks to Jonathan for the post about a talented group. That's what I like most about this thread; the learning of new (to me) artists and music.

Yeah, was that the large download he had linked to, or am I thinking of something else he had linked?

Well... it's Saturday night here now, but I never listen on Sunday morning. From my home town, the new Massive Attack album. Really rather good and it puts them back on form. Nice SQ too. Really a rather original sounding piece. Some very nice female vocals. Quite moving in places. Definately good stuff.

Heligoland

Make sure you hear the remixes of Paradise Circus...:)
excellent listen, thanks for the recommendation, this isnt something i would have heard if you hadnt, its way out of my normal scope of music.

Next up is a yet unreleased album by the Drive-by Truckers, The Big To-Do. i was slipped an early copy by a friend who works on their road crew. its my after dinner treat with a nice bourbon, cant wait for dinner to finish!

dbt.jpg

A little bit of the new Jakob Dylan album this morning....
Good stuff, more to report later!

Attachments

• 51AvOTc3WML._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    51AvOTc3WML._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 243
Been busy the last few weeks moving my folks into a community that will help me look after them, but this afternoon I'm finally able to sit back and enjoy a spot of music.

It's been a long while since I'd listened to this version of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade", but this Reference Record's recording with Serebrier conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra is a sonic gem. While not quite the performance of the Munch classic on RCA, it was none the less very satisfying.

After that I was in the mood for something exotic so I pulled out a recording from Vas that I'd also not listened to in quite some time. "Feast of Silence" was their 4th release I believe, and I'd recalled that at least their second disc was HDCD encoded. Same with this one, as soon as it started to play the HDCD light on my DAC started to glow. You wouldn't be able to tell from either the case or the booklet. None the less it sounded great!

Attachments

• Schereazadre.jpg
    Schereazadre.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Vas.jpg
    Vas.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 222
Haven't posted in this thread in a while. Just had some quality time with:

Stone Roses: Stone Roses (remastered), one of my favorite bands of the late 80s early 90s.

Yes: Drama, Yes without Jon Anderson but still great music, back to my early prog rock high school days.

Attachments

• StoneRoses.jpg
    StoneRoses.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 221
  • drama.jpg
    drama.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 216
It's been a long while since I'd listened to this version of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade", but this Reference Record's recording with Serebrier conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra is a sonic gem. While not quite the performance of the Munch classic on RCA, it was none the less very satisfying.
I always thought that the Reiner was considered the classic.

Time for another great-looking (and sounding) Brazilian lady - "ACAI" by Aline De Lima

Attachments

• acai.jpg
    acai.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 204
Bach organ music. Eighteen multichannel SACDs for only about eight bucks per disc. Amazon said the label has discontinued it; too bad. :(

Attachments

• 41FrzDZEUmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41FrzDZEUmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 188
I always thought that the Reiner was considered the classic.

You are correct of course Bernard. I wasn't thinking clearly. I'd had a martini already. I was thinking Munch because I'd just pulled out his St. Saens "Symphony No. 3". Old age, stress and alcohol challenged me.

It's been a few Sundays since I've listened to music on a Sunday morning, but I have been able to today. Actually, I've been burning in my new DAC for the last 60 hours straight. Luckily, I didn't have to have the amp on all the time.:eek: I have noticed a difference in the sound today from three days ago; it doesn't feel as closed in sounding. So far, loving the new toys. Currently, Angela Strehli's, "Blonde and Blue" is playing.

833599532_D3coQ-XL.jpg

Here's a pic of the new QB-9 and the Mac Mini, currently residing on top of other gear until my new shelf arrives. Next step is to load the Amarra software when it arrives and then to get an i-Pad, in order to eliminate the keyboard, mouse and monitor and free up a USB port.

833599600_GMG7Z-XL.jpg

Last edited:
For me today, it's been Sirius channel 33 "The Bridge". The softer side of Classic Rock...I LOVE this channel!

Back