Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cms_image_16529.jpg

Widespread Panic ~ Dirty Side Down

This is to be released next week, and I highly recommend it! I have an advanced copy from a friend who works for them and I love it. Some old standards that have never had a production release like "North", "Visiting Day", and "Clinic Cynic"; along with a chilling cover of the recently passed Vic Chestnuts "This Cruel Thing" which also has never been released by Vic or the band. The new tunes like "Saint Ex" and "Shut Up and Drive" are real rocking tunes that sounded great when I heard them live last week in Orange Beach, something tells me those songs have an evolution ahead of them. This is a instant classic from one of Americas top touring bands, go get a copy you wont regret it. :rocker:

1. Saint Ex 6:46
2. North 5:42
3. Dirty Side Down 3:57
4. This Cruel Thing 4:29
5. Visiting Day 5:26
6. Clinic Cynic 4:34
7. St Louis 2:52
8. Shut Up and Drive 6:44
9. True To My Nature 4:53
10. When You Coming Home 5:37
11. Jaded Tourist 4:28
12. Cotton Was King 5:52

Sheryl Crow - Globe Sessions SACD.

Really love the imaging on this CD.

Attachments

• 516VS4NYNTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    516VS4NYNTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 237
So Tom, I saw this was SACD Hybrid, were you listening to Sheryl in multichannel mode or just plain old Stereo?

C'mon Joe - he's only got 2 ears like me. Not 5.1 like you.

Take some advice from me - never post on MLOC whilst sober. Or at least during beer number three.

Only 2 channel I'm afraid, sorry. Widespread Panic is worthy of your rig all the same, you should check them out. Dave Schools will take that new sub for a workout.

.....and since you asked about Widespread Panic, Joe, I read this the other day and found it intriguing. I'm a sucker for the storytellers insights.

Widespread Panic’s John Bell on “Saint Ex”:

My wife Laura and I are great fans of “The Little Prince” by Antoine de Saint Exupery. It’s thought of as a children’s book but conveys some pretty heavy messages on many levels. A couple of years ago, my father sent me a New York Times article about an eighty-five year old German WWII pilot who realized he was the guy that shot down Saint Ex (a French pilot) in 1944. The plane Saint Ex was flying had been identified in 2004, ending the sixty year old mystery surrounding the author’s disappearance. Both pilots were on simple reconnaissance missions, and it was kind of a fluke that they happened upon each other. What I found intriguing about the situation is that the German pilot said Saint Ex was one of his favorite authors, and claimed if he was aware of who was flying the French aircraft, he wouldn’t have opened fire. I began reading more of Saint Uxupery’s works, and even though they’re translations, his insights about “Life During Wartime” are really profound and heartfelt – simultaneously caring about all humanity, while feeling compelled to fight for his country. Anyway, that’s what the song is about. One side note: Laura had always said “The Little Prince” story would be a good subject for a song…and it only took twenty years for the Band to put it together.

I guess this is Sunday night music and a good one it is! I recently missed a chance to see 19 year old Sarah Jarosz at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival and what a big mistake on my part. Sarah's debut release is called "Song up in her Head" and was released 06/09. She has a wonderful smooth voice and plays mandolin, guitar and a 6 string banjo. She is backed up by the best in the business a guests include Jerry Douglas, Tim O'Brien and Chris Thile. I'd consider her music to be Alt-country/Americana/Contemporary Bluegrass. Many great cuts on this disc but the mellow "Long Journey" is by itself worth the price of admission!

Attachments

• Sarah Jarosz.jpg
    Sarah Jarosz.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 186
I would like to recommend The Dead Weather's new album Sea Of Cowards to everyone. It has just enough originality to qualify its addition to my library. I must admit I was first listening with a negative ear having found out Jack isnt playing guitar but instead drums, but was quickly put in check when I gave it a serious listen. i think this young man is quickly entering the category of artists who make dependably good music when ever he is involved. I admit I'm not 100% on the entire album, but the songs I like I like 100% on, and the piece as a whole gets a 8 out of 10 from me.

Certainly worth a listen.
cover_seaofcowards.jpg

PS. given my current schedule I call this thread my Saturday night listening thread. :music:

Over the weekend I unpacked a collection of vinyl that was practically dumped in my lap. About 300 albums.

Turned out the guy that owned these records had really good taste.

Right now I'm listening to "Getz Au Go Go" The New Stan Getz Quartet featuring Astrud Gilberto. Recorded live at the Cafe Au Go Go, Greenwich Village, N.Y.C., Aug. 19, 1964 by Rudy Van Gelder for Verve. Funny, I just ordered the remastered 45 rpm version of this on Friday.

Along with Stan Getz, Astrud & Joao Gilgerto albums there is a ton of Brubeck, Cal Tjader, Peggy Lee, Charlie Parker, some Miles Davis, etc. And about 1/3 of the collection is Classical.

Hey Bernard, I ordered "Entre Amigos" w/ Rosa Passos and Ron Carter. I thought about you when I started pulling out all these pristine Verve Brazilian Bossa Nova albums. Getting ready to put on Getz w/ Laurindo Almeida.

Ray

Over the weekend I unpacked a collection of vinyl that was practically dumped in my lap. About 300 albums.
Turned out the guy that owned these records had really good taste.
Ray

Too cool! I just ordered this month's supply of vinyl (over $500 worth), but it won't be anywhere near 300! :bowdown: Oh, Getz Au Go Go was among the ones I ordered today, too.

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

Yeah, I should get mt 45 rpm copy tomorrow. I love Astrud Gilberto. My copy of Getz Au Go Go is fantastic, can't wait to hear the 45 version.

Another thing I noticed in this collection was the live recordings from the Blackhawk in San Francisco. Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk and Cal Tjader, that's three different albums. There might be more. There's a lot of good stuff to listen to.

Ray

Hey Bernard, I ordered "Entre Amigos" w/ Rosa Passos and Ron Carter. I thought about you when I started pulling out all these pristine Verve Brazilian Bossa Nova albums. Getting ready to put on Getz w/ Laurindo Almeida.

Ray
Glad to hear it. I listen to a LOT of Bossa Nova. Recently got two more CDs by Rosa Passos. They were selling on Amazon used for $40+ and $70+ for a long time. I kept looking and managed to score them for $4 and $14 ! You do have the famous Getz/Gilberto LP, I hope.

Yeah, I got another copy of Getz/Gilberto with this collection and Getz/Gilberto #2 Live At Carnegie Hall. Also Stan Getz "Big Band Bossa Nova, S.G. w/ Laurindo Almeida, S.G. "Sweet Rain" and several other albums by Stan Getz.

Along with another copy of Brasil '66, I got copies of "The Astrud Gilberto Album" Arranged and Conducted by Marty Paich and "Look To The Rainbow" Astrud Gilberto, Arranged and Conducted by Gil Evans. Good stuff. :)

I still have a lot to go through, but there are a lot of titles that have to do with that Bossa Nova style.

All the albums so far are in excellent condition, but I'm in the process of cleaning them real good and getting new MoFi inner and outer sleeves on them as I go.

Sorry to hijack the S.M.M. thread, I should have started a new thread.

If you did start a new thread I guess it would have to be in the Recommended Recordings section, which unfortunately requires moderator approval on every post. I do have some other stuff to recommend.

Got in a couple of albums this morning , I really forget sometimes how talented HH is.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 363
Yeah, I got another copy of Getz/Gilberto with this collection and Getz/Gilberto #2 Live At Carnegie Hall. Also Stan Getz "Big Band Bossa Nova, S.G. w/ Laurindo Almeida, S.G. "Sweet Rain" and several other albums by Stan Getz.

Along with another copy of Brasil '66, I got copies of "The Astrud Gilberto Album" Arranged and Conducted by Marty Paich and "Look To The Rainbow" Astrud Gilberto, Arranged and Conducted by Gil Evans. Good stuff. :)

I still have a lot to go through, but there are a lot of titles that have to do with that Bossa Nova style.

All the albums so far are in excellent condition, but I'm in the process of cleaning them real good and getting new MoFi inner and outer sleeves on them as I go.

Satch , this might be of interest to you , it sounds like it may be in the Bossa Nova style

Recording of the MonthRecording of July 2010: The Complete Sinatra-Jobim Reprise Recordings By Robert Baird • July, 2010 Sinatra Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings
Concord CRE-32026 (CD). 2010. Sonny Burke, orig. prod.; Lee Herschberg, orig eng.; Hal Gaba, reissue exec. prod.; Charles Pignone, reissue prod.; Larry Walsh, reissue eng.; Dan Hersch, 24-bit remastering. AAD. TT: 58:23
Performance ****
Sonics ****
"Kill the album. Kill the sucker."

Guess who?

Could those words have come from anyone but America's greatest ring-a-ding-ding wannabe gangster, Francis Albert Sinatra? In Sinatra lore, that was what he said to pull the plug on the second of two records he made with bossa-nova boy wonder Antonio Carlos Jobim.

Sinatra's two sets of recording sessions with Jobim were made at Western Recorders, at 6050 Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles: January 30–February 1, 1967, and February 11–13, 1969. The title of the first album to come from them, Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim—notice whose name is first—included a classic twist: If the kid from Brazil could use three names, then so would Frank.

Released in 1967, this first Jobim-Sinatra record climbed to No.19 on the charts, but did not sell as well initially of his three previous records (Strangers in the Night, That's Life, Francis A. Sinatra and Edward K. Ellington). There's always been the suggestion that Sinatra's bossa-nova albums made him a Johnny-come-lately to the trend. After all, Jazz Samba, the record by Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd that lit the bossa-nova fire in America, was released in April 1962. But, to be fair, Sinatra had flirted with Latin rhythms as early as 1965, on Moonlight Sinatra.

Late or not, both records sound like nothing else in the Sinatra catalog. From the opening bars of the "The Girl from Ipanema," in which Jobim sings the second verse, then gamely duets with Sinatra's major-league instrument, it's clear, at least on F.A.S. and A.C.J., that Frank had never before sung so softly. In "If You Never Come to Me," his voice is so light that it often nearly cracks from lack of breath. This lightness forces Sinatra to dig deep for the fine, wave-like textures that appear here in his voice, as well as an emotional fragility and subtlety that he really never found again. Three tunes on the record are not Jobim compositions, yet even in these—such as "Change Partners," by that noted bossa-novist Irving Berlin, here given a Latin flair by Claus Ogerman, who arranged everything for the first album—Sinatra sounds out of his element, reaching for something inside he's never quite tapped into before. And on the sexy Sinatra scale, his vocal performance on "Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars (Corcovado)," paired with Ogerman's lush orchestral arrangement, is easily one of the most seductive bedroom ballads ever recorded by this master of the form

Got the house to myself all weekend, so I figured I'd better get to the record store and get some new music.

Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions Revisited. I have the Trinity Sessions disc and it's excellent, but this is over the top. The guests (Natalie Merchant, Ryan Adams and Vic Chesnutt) make it work, and the interplay between all musicians is fantastic. Came with a DVD.
Peter Case - Wig. I've got his "Man with the ...yada yada...Guitar" disc and like it so I put this in my cart. Electric rock / blues, not bad at all.
The Band of Heathens - One Foot in the Ether. A local Austin band that I heard on the radio being interviewed and playing, sounded good. Really good album.
Jools Holland and his R&B Orchestra - Friends 3. Fun swinging rock, lots of good music on this with an impressive guest list that includes Ringo, Clapton, Ronnie Wood, Peter Gabriel, Buddy Guy, Smokey Robinson, Steve Earle...

Attachments

• Music 001Sml.jpg
    Music 001Sml.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 323
Back