Summit X to CLX - is it worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solid advice.

I used a Behringer measurement mic, an M-Audio preamp/external soundcard and a copy of Holm Impulse (free and good - just Google) a few months ago.

With it, I was able to prove my in-room FR was flat to plus/minus 5 DB down to 25Hz without a sub. This was taken at about 3 metres.

At the listening position, at approx 4 metres, the bass gets reinforced by the rear wall at around 30 Hz and hits around a +10 DB peak.

I haven't tried to control this since I actually prefer the sound at 4 metres. Bass feind I guess. But others don't, and tend to sit nearer - as I sometimes do, But it is nice to know exactly what is going on.

Another thing I managed to prove was that rolling different 211 tubes actually measurably changes the overall FR by as much as 3DB for parts of the FR. Proving tube rolling does make a difference. It was clearly repeatable, too.

I hardly use the Descent - it really needs a low paas filter made for it to match with the Duettas properly IMHO. Much like the CLX one. Will get it done sometime.

Update:-

So after further listening and experimenting I can safely say these speakers are simply amazing.

I was listening to Nina Simone 'A Single Woman', track 'Sweet Child O'Mine, and wow it was incredible. Volume level in my preamp was 50 and no hint of stress.

I have noticed that I do need to turn the volume up much more than I used to to, I suppose just that I am now running a full range panel. My amp seems to be coping perfectly.

With regard to subs I did not get a chance to try RCA connection - I didn't have long enough leads! However I have decided that is the way I am going to go. Oh and still with dual subs.

So now all there is left to do is place the order - what a great Christmas present 😄

M.

Congrats Marc, one helluva Xmas pressie!

Serious enjoyment & good times ahead for you:)

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all.

I don't suppose anyone is interested in purchasing my Summit X's?!

Please let me know - I am expecting my new arrivals shortly 😄

Thx
M.

Hola Marc. And I am with you. Mines are singing better now, very nice overall. Just a little hint. The sensitivity of the CLXs are 90 dB/2.83 V/m and your Summits X are 92dB/2.83 V/m. In other words, Summits need less power than the CLXs, but this is not an issue. You can drive them very loud, and there is no stress at all. I do not know how ML did it, but the dynamics and the harmonic texture is breath taking. I am re-discovering all my cds. And how easy is to listen any instrument. I did spike mines and got a good changed, more inner detail, and more forward sound, with tons of air between the instruments. Voices are just right! with none of glare and dirty throats at the end. No more image moving and the stage is truly 3D. Happy listening!

Last edited:
I recall having another high-end planar brand, and I had an incredible definition, wide stage and a problem with the main solo (artist) instrument or voice. It was like a cartoon. You had your nice stage, and with the parts of the music where the soloist sang louder, or the piano, or any solo instrument, just on those particular moments, you almost can see inside their throat and their uvula... you just jumped from your listening sweet spot, to their throat, and when they finished that note, you jumped back to your seat... wierd, right? Well, that still hapens with other good brands... and they say: that's resolution, that's detail, that's for me is, with all respect, not good. The image size, the resolution, the air between instruments, the music detail, the feeling of the musician(s), the stage, the 3D is what I do like, and with these babies, they do all this, easy. Keep listening live music, and learn what we should do to our system to get that... but unplug music. Just a piano, or a harp, jazz combo, or strings music. Also that will tell you that we are getting closer to that too... happy listening!

Hi Roberto,

I couldn't agree with your comments more.

I did notice that due to the sensitivity differences I needed to turn the volume up higher. However that is not an issue with my Arc power amp!

Next Tuesday my speakers will be delivered. However my subs will not be with me for a few weeks. It will give me time to start the run in process. How long did you find they needed to break in and did they need to be played at a certain level?

I decided to go single ended with the subs, making use of the CLX crossovers in the Descent I.

Are there any other points that I need to address? Btw I have purchased some rather heavy tiles to load on the bottom of the speaker. It has made a difference.

Very excited - the ML journey is about to reach its conclusion!!

Rgds
M.

Feb's HFN just landed through the door. Has a review of the REF150 that predictably Ken Kessler loves. Rated 88% - worth a read.

Basically, he seems to think they are on a par with (but different too) Dan's Momentum amps - but at £12000 odd much better value. You'll have to excuse his reference to Apogees in the prose.:D

Thought you might like to be made aware of it in case you miss it.

Hi Justin,

I just read that this morning too, but thank you for pointing it out.

The amp really is very good indeed. Mine is still burning in but already it is amazing.

And it seems to love the clx's!!

M.

CLX's are in the house. Already sound amazing and that is new out of the box!

I just need to get some hours on them. My subs won't be with me for a few weeks yet so still some more fun to look forward to.

M.

CLX's are in the house. Already sound amazing and that is new out of the box!

I just need to get some hours on them. My subs won't be with me for a few weeks yet so still some more fun to look forward to.

M.

They are unreasonably good even freshly exhumed, aren't they? I noticed that here as well... liberated them from their coffins, hauled their stiff bodies up to the "examination room", applied electricity and was quite shocked at how life-like they sounded. Now what to do about this white streak of hair... ;)

Lol. The boxes are certainly something to behold!!

I love the look of my silver anniversaries - very cool indeed 😄

M.

Will post pictures when subs are in situ...

I have already mass loaded the bottom of the speakers with some heavy floor tiles as per recommendations from here.

M.

Hola. That will tighter the bass, and in some cases, will increase the deep low bass extension. Spike them too. Happy listening!

How are the Clx's settling then Marck?

Back