Star Wars concert vs ML's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EricE

Just came back from a amazing concert with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra!

The event was music from all 6 episodes of Star Wars conducted by Erich Kunzel and narrated by Anthony Daniels (C3PO).
What was surprising was that other than the sell out performance the people were actually involved in the music especially the younger crowd. Quite a few young children being exposed to "symphony" music and actually listening and enjoying the event. Young and old alike laughing to the story given by C3PO with his own brand of humor and Erich adding to the show too.

Of course there were fan clubs there in costume and large crowds around R2D2 in the lobby but all in all a fun event.
What more can be said about the music that most people have heard but the live performance by the TSO was top notch. A few of the performances were cut short and some tempo changes were made (by Erich???) but all the most famous pieces from the move music were played.

Cheers of applause were given after almost every performance and a rousing standing ovation was given at the end of the nights events.
I would recommend this concert to anybody as a event to experience. I think Seattle or Chicago is next...

I got home and actually played the exact same soundtracks from the Telarc CD's I have conducted also by Erich Kunzel. Although very close sound wise there is still no replacing a live symphonic orchestra. The blare of the trumpets and the details from the low bass drums were not quite the same.

EricE said:
Just came back from a amazing concert with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra!.

what was the venue? roy thompson? i still like the (Toronto) okeefe center down the road - sitting way up at the back, i could hear the footsteps of the pas de deux peices by the national ballet, and the orchestra just floated up from the pit when they played. I never did make it to RTH before i moved out west, and keep missing it when i fly back for a visit - like last weekend. sigh.

EricE said:
Although very close sound wise there is still no replacing a live symphonic orchestra. The blare of the trumpets and the details from the low bass drums were not quite the same.

i remember my dad's comments the first time he went to t a symphony (National Arts in Ottawa). he said "a real orchestra is very loud - isn't it". it's been nice to see him start appreciating music that is more than just Stompin' Tom and James Last
:D

Sounds like a wonderful performance. I once got to see the Los Angeles Symphony play at the Dallas,TX Concert Hall over Halloween. They played all the great scary movie themes. Very cool to see the strings section going at it on Psycho.

Yup, the concert was at Roy Thompson Hall. I haven't been to it either in years but it has gone under a multi million dollar accousical change. I had a friend who was working on the accoustics of the hall and it did make a change for the better but still sounds "different" because of the round venue.

This was my wifes first concert that she enjoyed (avid movie buff) and she loved the strings section going full blast on some peices not to mention the choir on Duel of the Fates.

I loved the cellos on Yoda's theme myself :D

Latest posts

Back