Get out and listen to a live performance!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosttoysrk

Reaction score
I make my living behind a camera and last week I photographed the Seattle Symphony orchestra. Every year they pose for a photograph and then I get to photograph the orchestra while they are playing. I get full access and get to roam anywhere onstage, just have to watch carefully for the string instrument bows as I move between the rows.
I was early and received a private 30 minute concert as they were going through rehearsal. Since there was no one in the concert hall I had free access to change seats and move anywhere I wanted, what a treat!
What an eye opener or ear opener would be more correct in hearing a large orchestra performing. Every instrument could easily be picked out without any effort. The bass from a plucked cello to a single oboe floating above the string sections, yes the strings if you have never heard violins in a properly designed concert hall you don't know what you are missing!!
I became totally involved in the music, (mesmerized might be a better word) you become part of the music. Listening to reproduced music I normally would pick apart the sound listening for compression, distortion, depth, seat row, or the so many check lists of items we seem to all go through when judging a system.
It should eventually be about the music right? I know I get so involved with the gear and nuances I sometimes forget to appreciate the actual music! so... just a reminder don't lock yourself into your man cave, get out and listen to a live performance, and in the end it will help you judge what you should be trying to achieve in your audio system!

It should eventually be about the music right? I know I get so involved with the gear and nuances I sometimes forget to appreciate the actual music! so... just a reminder don't lock yourself into your man cave, get out and listen to a live performance, and in the end it will help you judge what you should be trying to achieve in your audio system!

Correct....a live performance is the ultimate reference. Lucky you being able to do that. Until about three years ago we had a world class philharmonic orchestra here in South Florida, which had a Pops Orchestra side with Peter Nero (Mack the Knife) as conductor and musical director, however dwindling patrons and attendance killed it. We were season subscribes and attended almost every concert. I mourn the loss.

Until about three years ago we had a world class philharmonic orchestra here in South Florida, which had a Pops Orchestra side with Peter Nero (Mack the Knife) as conductor and musical director, however dwindling patrons and attendance killed it. We were season subscribes and attended almost every concert. I mourn the loss.

Hey Jerry, sorry about that, but living here in SE Pa allows me access to a Great Hall with our 'Verizon Hall' @ The Kimmel Center. I average about four concerts a year.

Speaking of which, later this week we'll be attending Peter Nero's Christmas Concert with the "real" Pops......The Philly Pops !!!

Correct....a live performance is the ultimate reference.
A symphony orchestra in a great concert hall or venue really shows off the sound of the group. In the Washington area I have been to the Kennedy Center and Stathmore Hall to hear the NSO and BSO. I like the sound of Strathmore better than the KC.

Live music does not always guarantee great or ultimate reference for sound. I have had my share of very poor sounding events.

Live music does not always guarantee great or ultimate reference for sound. I have had my share of very poor sounding events.

Oh so true. The venue is very important as is seat location. One year I flew up to NYC on Christmas Eve to hear the NY Philharmonic do the Nutcracker. Unfortunatly the only seats available were on the upper level way over to the right of the Orchestra. We had a phenominal view of Zubin Meta but terrible sound. Shortly after that I decided to become a season subscriber to the Florida Phil to guarantee the best seats.

Last edited:
Back