Spent a day with the BIG Soundlab M1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian - could you comment on size of room for the full sized panels - U1/A1/M1. I seem to recall you commenting that a small room can work well with these large panels. I still, despite the tyrrany of distance (Sydney), would like to have a pair of Soundlabs one day.

Kevin

Sound Labs are designed to be virtual line sources, using a vertically segmented design (giving the effect of a curve) rather than flat panels, with segment width and angle relative to adjacent segments carefully chosen so as to avoid any picket fence effect. The virtual line source design frees the speaker quite a bit from acoustic room interaction. As the height of the speaker approaches the height of the room it becomes more of a line source. I would also refer you to the FAQ on the Sound Lab website. Although I've heard of someone with A-1s in a 6' x 10' room who described it as the best sound he ever heard, I'm reluctant to advise it. :rolleyes:

One of my clients is in Tasmania and owns Majestics.

Last edited:
Now you all want to ask , ARE THEY BETTER THAN THE CLX? Yes and no! The CLX is a house sound for ML. and caters to my ears.

That is a loaded question - and a great answer. As always with anything comples, the answer is "it depends."

Having heard the clx a couple of times with both tubes and krell ss, my personal taste says that the clx may be more transparent, faster, maybe better detailed, etc. These are audiophile terms. My goal is musical enjoyment - I am interested in the whole rather than the analysis of the individual parts that make up the whole. To me the soundlabs sounded more real.

Now I would really love to get the 2 speakers in the same room with the same equipment instead of going from memory.

One of my clients is in Tasmania and owns Majestics.

Yes - I have long been an admirer of that room. I would certainly give John a call if in Tasmania. He has offered on the local forum for people to come and have a listen.

Kevin

Yes - I have long been an admirer of that room. I would certainly give John a call if in Tasmania. He has offered on the local forum for people to come and have a listen.

Kevin

Kevin, you should take him up on his offer. I would if I were closer. :) As far as I know his are the only Sound Labs with Tasmanian blackwood trim, to match the rest of their furnishings.

Actually John and his wife toured the US two years ago and stayed with friends in the area, so he was able to come by.

Details of John's system can be viewed here.

Last edited:
Back