Spent a day with the BIG Soundlab M1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
Today I spent about 5 hrs with the big Soundlab. M1 . They are HUGE! The system consisted of

SME 30/2, Graham Phantom, Jan Allerats
Technics SP 10 Mk II, SME V, Premium Mono
AMR CD-77
Technics RS 1500 set up for Tape Project
CTC Blowtorch preamp with Vendetta phono
Klyne phono
Atma-sphere MA-1
Parasound JC-1
SoundLabs M-1

They are a great speaker with great detail and Sound stage. I was amazed at their size yet they disappeared within them selves. There was no cant get out of their own way. They threw a deep sound stage with great detail that was wall to wall. The Tubes with LP was great. The real show stopper was the Technics Reel to reel with Master tapes. The bass was really tight and detailed for a full range stat . These things can play loud. and clean. The room was not the biggest either so I was a bit skeptical at first but they were very room friendly for their size. The Parasound brought out a bit more bass but at the cost of the warmth of the OTL amps. The Gentelman had a gigantic LP collection . I listened to many great recordings. One that was amazing was Richard Thompson , man that dude can play a guitar and sing.

Now you all want to ask , ARE THEY BETTER THAN THE CLX? Yes and no! The CLX is a house sound for ML. and caters to my ears. The CLX have a bit better separation and layering to me but then again these were spot on in staging and positioning. Every thing that was thrown at these was very centered and not fatiguing. The (M1) as big as they are are a bit more room friendly for set up. The CLX in the room these were in would not have sounded as well. The bass went a tad lower with these but the bass wasn't as fast and transient like the CLX. The mid range was great with these but the CLX has that department wrapped up. These are world class and sound like it too. Its not that the CLX is better its that these are not better. I could live with these for sure. However they do take a room over with their presence. The foot print isn't huge but the size of the panels are. I highly recommend you listen if you get a chance. I would even consider them as a top 5 speaker in my book.

"Technics RS 1500 set up for Tape Project" - Chris - what is "Tape Project"? Just curious.

Great to hear your thoughts - last time I heard some SLs was so long ago it's good to get a contemporary update from a "non-trade affiliated" person WRT the CLX.

BTW: if you have $13,700 spare Mss Hi-Fi appears to have some last time I looked on ebay. Or you can make a low ball offer - any takers:D?

And if you did take pictures, they have to be better than Adam's CLX adventure. Now that was bad.:D:);)

Last edited:
And if you did take pictures, they have to be better than Adam's CLX adventure. Now that was bad.:D:);)

Sorry Justin (and everyone) - as I said, I was having too much fun listening and next thing I knew I had "wifey" out the front yelling at me through my mobile 'phone to get the heck out of there!

I ran back on my way out and snapped it with my mobile. I even think my finger was covering half the lens! But awesome day it was!

Tape project was a Modded Reel to reel 2 track playing master dubs and it was a $400 tape player that was redone by a company here in the states . Some of the best sound I have heard for a source. It was as good as any LP player in the $5000 range.

Here are a few pics , sorry they were cell phone pics and not the best. However you can get the size relation. Justin I had to take a pic of the amps as there was more glass there than a china shop !

Attachments

• M!.jpg
    M!.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,430
  • amps.jpg
    amps.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,447
"Technics RS 1500 set up for Tape Project" - Chris - what is "Tape Project"? Just curious.

The TP provides what are 2nd generation 10 1/2 inch open reel tapes and modified decks for playback. Check out the link

Tape Project

Last edited:
So how did those "Tape Project" tapes sound? Analogue tape is by far and away the best sound I've ever heard!!

So how did those "Tape Project" tapes sound? Analogue tape is by far and away the best sound I've ever heard!!

Check Risabet's link - minus a couple of "//":) From the link:

"A demo using the big, full-range TADs demonstrated that open-reel analog tape still smokes even high-resolution (24-bit/192kHz) digital."

Michael Fremer - Stereophile, April 2008

Chris - I brightened up your photos a bit... hope that's OK. Makes 'em look a bit better - at least via my telly!

Those Atma-sphere amps are insane - definately NOT for glass-o-phobes!:D

Attachments

• SLM1.jpg
    SLM1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,400
  • SLamps.jpg
    SLamps.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,431
Last edited:
I have heard these in a friends home and they are fantastic, but the physical presence dominates after a while. Most impressive is the seamless and quick bass response, not such a wide soundstage, but very deep. Based on what I heard at the Montreal show, the CLX's are faster and more dynamic than the Soundlabs - but the Soundlabs win on being able to reproduce bass with both quality and quantity.

Pick your poison - for me if i had to / could choose between the two, I would take the CLX's first because of their sheer dynamic attack.

Steve

Thanks for your post CAP. You don't read about many comparisons like this.

About "master tapes" - where can they be sourced?

No problem on the pics. they were cell phone pics. The tape sound was OUTSTANDING!

"Pick your poison - for me if i had to / could choose between the two, I would take the CLX's first because of their sheer dynamic attack."

Good analogy of the two !

Still smokes absolutely everything - that's my opinion anyway. Certainly light years ahead of that archaic consumerist medium we call LP! :D:D

Indeed, but LP is still second best in a tie with high-res digital, maybe.

I know the system C.A.P describes since it belongs to one of my clients.

The latest PX technology which the M-1s he heard do not have makes a substantial difference, especially in terms of imaging, detail, and dynamics. There's more "there" there -- hard to describe but instantly audible.

Also, the AMR CD-77 here incorporates significant improvements present in current production units.

Hi Chris,

I've long been enamoured by Sound Labs. All sounds / frequencies emanating from a single panel. What more can one want. Being an ELS fan, I've considered buying SL but most of their models are so visually imposing. Then again, I've never had a large listening room.

Gordon

Hi Chris,

I've long been enamoured by Sound Labs. All sounds / frequencies emanating from a single panel. What more can one want. Being an ELS fan, I've considered buying SL but most of their models are so visually imposing. Then again, I've never had a large listening room.

Gordon

One has to look at the entire system in terms of placement considerations and space requirements, which in the case of the CLX in most cases includes a pair of Descent subs. A Sound Lab M-1PX is 14" wider than a CLX but doesn't need a 20"x20" sub and its associated cabling and in many cases can be placed close to the side wall.

One has to look at the entire system in terms of placement considerations and space requirements, which in the case of the CLX in most cases includes a pair of Descent subs. A Sound Lab M-1PX is 14" wider than a CLX but doesn't need a 20"x20" sub and its associated cabling and in many cases can be placed close to the side wall.

The Sound Lab speaker if 14" wider from the floor to it's top. The sub is not as tall and placement is flexible. The extra wiring and comlication is conceded.

How much do the Sound Labs cost?

(snip)
The sub is not as tall and placement is flexible.
Not as tall, but then it isn't a line source. If phase coherency and balanced in-room frequency response are important, the number of correct locations is limited.

How much do the Sound Labs cost?
M-1PXs are about $24k. Smaller and larger models are available as well, such as the M-2PX which is 73 1/2"H x 34 3/4"W.

Brian - could you comment on size of room for the full sized panels - U1/A1/M1. I seem to recall you commenting that a small room can work well with these large panels. I still, despite the tyrrany of distance (Sydney), would like to have a pair of Soundlabs one day.

Kevin

Back