Speakers You Have Known And Loved...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DCM time Window 3. I had them in my youth and they were powered by twin M500t Carver amps. Man they had a soundstage. It was a bit overdone but fun to listen to never the less.

I have always had a thing for Appogee as there were several dealers here to listen to them.

Cap. You didn't buy that stuff at the gramaphone in Birmingham did you? I bought my m500t back then when they had the time windows set up. They used to demo them with carvers sonic holography at the time. This was early 80s. I do believe.

I used to own infinity quantum 5s. I used to think those things were awesome. Probably blew at least 6 midranges in those things. But all of them were free which was good on a college budget. After that I got some phase tech 60s??? With an audio pro b2-50 sub - which was a very musical sub (still have it but somethng is wrong with it).

Last edited:
After that I got some phase tech 60s???

I've owned both versions of the Phase Tech PC 60: The first one with the 1 kHz crossover, circuit-breaker tweeter protection (one of them went through two tweeters anyway), and the tweeter level control that didn't do anything but make the treble scratchy if it was jiggered wrong.

The second version was a big improvement: crossover at 1.2 kHz to ease the work of the tweeter and protection by fuse. I used those until a few years ago when I supplanted them with a DefTech ProMonitor 800 5.1 system. The Phase Techs required new woofers a couple of years before that; for some reason Phase Tech insists on using foam surrounds that spontaneously biodegrade over time. Anyway, the PC 60 kept me happy for a good long time.

For some reason, I was initially drawn to Klipsch speakers back in college which then morphed to higher end Polk LSi speakers. I went up the range from the 7 to the 9 then moved up to the Martin Logan Mosaics.

Then I actually forgot what I did with the Mosaics.... but they became ML Vantages and then Summits. This was all in medical school.

Then when I graduated, I ended up selling the Summits because it did not work in loft (very very sad day).

I had fiddled with many other speakers during the time I was immersed in audio from BW802D to Wilson to Maggies to SF to Quads to a bunch of other stuff out there.

Speakers I have owned and LOVED over the years would include my first high end speakers, Acoustat 3's and of course the ones I used for thirteen years Apogee Divas. As far as cones and domes it would have to be my Snell AIIIi's. I still have the Snells in storage and some day I'll have that one bad woofer repaired...

Cap. You didn't buy that stuff at the gramaphone in Birmingham did you? I bought my m500t back then when they had the time windows set up. They used to demo them with carvers sonic holography at the time. This was early 80s. I do believe.

I used to own infinity quantum 5s. I used to think those things were awesome. Probably blew at least 6 midranges in those things. But all of them were free which was good on a college budget. After that I got some phase tech 60s??? With an audio pro b2-50 sub - which was a very musical sub (still have it but somethng is wrong with it).

Although I used to frequent the Gramaphone Rick Howard wasn't my cup of tea. I got my Time Windows Direct as I knew someone at the factory. I had both 1 and 3. The 3 were far superior and still rank as a great cone speaker for fun. Carver 500t were as cool as it got with those balistic meters. I still have a thing for them . Just on looks. I used to drool at the Threshold Mono blocks with them. Harry Francis(Audio Dimensions) had them for a short while many years back.

Although I used to frequent the Gramaphone Rick Howard wasn't my cup of tea. I got my Time Windows Direct as I knew someone at the factory. I had both 1 and 3. The 3 were far superior and still rank as a great cone speaker for fun. Carver 500t were as cool as it got with those balistic meters. I still have a thing for them . Just on looks. I used to drool at the Threshold Mono blocks with them. Harry Francis(Audio Dimensions) had them for a short while many years back.

Yes I still have my 500t. I was using it for the rears when I had my ht setup. Harry Francis demo'd the Maggie 20.1s for me. Those guys have a certain 'air' about them that keeps me out of their shop. But they have some really nice gear that is for sure. And the gramaphone basically sells TVs now.

Yes I still have my 500t. I was using it for the rears when I had my ht setup. Harry Francis demo'd the Maggie 20.1s for me. Those guys have a certain 'air' about them that keeps me out of their shop. But they have some really nice gear that is for sure. And the gramaphone basically sells TVs now.

And I remember when Marantz 4G speakers Blew us away. You come a long way Mista Timmy, but your Q5's were the reference before I introduced you to ML.:rocker:

Yo Bro

20 years ago i did use a pair of Magneplanar MG-II (+ Gamma VLD12 leaf-tweeters and Audio Pro 2B-50 active sub)

They where very CLS alike & a bunch less expencive :D

I had Tannoy Berkleys for 20 years with 15" Dual Concentric drivers. They could get up to Rock concert levels yet be very detailed, no subs were needed with them (I don't think there were such a thing back then anyway)
They had foam surrounds that went bad I had them redone locally and they butchered them, not much later I got rid of them. Great speakers I still do miss them.

Latest posts

Back