Speakers You Have Known And Loved...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ESS AMT-1B
Tympani 1D's
Acoustat 2+2's
Acoustat X
Magnaplanar MGIIB's
DQ10's
JBL L-100's

I have to agree with you there. I have never understood why people (audiophiles) love to put sh1t on Bose - they are NOT a competitor for Martin Logan, and they have never proclaimed that they are.

What they do do is make some reasonable quality, reasonable sounding "mid-fi", albeit at ambitious prices, that sounds a darn sight better than the other rubbish out there like Sony and Pioneer et al.

It is also looks very nice hence the justification for the asking price.

They've got their niche and target market - Good luck to 'em.

Boses really are not bad especially for their size. I had a set of 5.1 and when I replaced it with a set of Mirage Omnisats, I obviously got better sound but then they're also 2, maybe 3 times the size.

It's just never right with you is it?

I know, I'm missing the point of your "humour" again...

Make a snide comment, then retract in a passive/aggressive manor. At least you are consistent. Your insults really get tiring.

And as usual, you aren't paying attention, because the post said "Owned or have lived with."

i must be really really stupid, or really naive.

and to avoid a misunderstaning, there is no sarcasm in that statement as sometimes i do feel thick as a brick because i just don't see implications that other see, or i see ones that others don't see or i "say something" i didn't mean to say. makes me feel stupid in that i can have a hard time communicating with people when i feel that i'm saying exactly what i mean and taking people for their words. i'm used to it, but it's challenging.

that preface aside, when i read "define the true audiophile" i took it as a compliment to Jeff. Just like a true oenophile has more than one bottle of great wine in his cellar, you Jeff have a number of great speakers in your listening history and that to me indicates a passionate audiophile. You could have bought one pair and been happy (like most of us), but you continually strive for better and different. You've gone so far as to set yourself up in a job that feeds the exploration of different and better audio gear.

so i didn't see any insult. i didn't see any passive aggressive retraction (maybe because i didn't see anything to retract). i saw a compliment.

but i'm putting words in user211's mouth, so i'll stop.

Last edited:
that preface aside, when i read "define the true audiophile" i took it as a compliment to Jeff.

but i'm putting words in user211's mouth, so i'll stop.

You put the right words in it... it was a complement. Genuinely.

The audiophile thread was trouble simply because it got deleted... nowt to do with Jeff.

I dunno... one tries:)

You put the right words in it... it was a complement. Genuinely.

The audiophile thread was trouble simply because it got deleted... nowt to do with Jeff.

I dunno... one tries:)

Yeah, I saw it the same way but probably because I was really enjoying the audiophile definition thread, some funny sh.......well anyway Justin's humor is sometimes blunt and sometimes clever.

But as they say, "you pays your money and you takes your chances", okay well here we don't pay, but maybe it is time we do pay. If you haven't made a donation to Tom's forum effort in a while, maybe it is time to send a couple bucks his way.

Remember without the MLOC forum we would miss out on all the cultural mix and matches that we have here on a daily basis and where would we be without all the humor.:D

Here are some of the higher end speakers I have listened to in lengthy (non-show) auditions, mixed in with what I've owned:

Dahlquist DQ-10 & matching subs
Magnepan MG-IIIa, 1.6, 3.6
Apogee Duetta Sig
Dunlavy SC IV and V
B&W 805, 801
Avalon Opus, Eidolon, Osiris, Radian HC, Eclipse
MartinLogan CLX, Prodigy, Odyssey, ReQuest, Aerius i, SL3, Summit
Magico V3, M5, M6
Rockport Altair
Wilson Sophia, W/P 5 & 6, MAXX 2
FJ (now Blummenhoffer) Dude
Blummenhofer Genuin FS 1, FS 3
Theta Mi (no longer in business)
Dali Megalines
Duntech Sovereigns
Genesis 301, 450-XS
Nola Grand Reference
Quad 2905
FAL C-90
REL Stadium III sub
Velodyne subs
Entec SW-1, SW-5 subs
JL Audio F-212 sub

Of those, I truly love the Avalon Osiris/Spectral, Magico M6/Spectral, Nola Grand Reference/VTL and Theta Mi driven by four custom 211-based monos, for portraying large orchestral music with deep emotion, transparency, size and glory. Of those, the one I would love to OWN would be the Nola/VTL.

Less time spent listening to:
YG Anat Studio
Analysis Audio
Audio Physic
Burmester
ProAc
Verity Audio
Dynaudio
Focal

Speakers I must audition:
Mosquito
ML Statement e2
Tidal Audio

Last edited:
I still have these, JBL L56's

My roommate came home with these in the back of his truck last summer. Free from the radio station he did some work at. They were going to the station managers house, but his wife didn't like the wall brackets and he didn't want to mess with removing them...:D, free rock speaks.

These puppys never cease to amaze. I've heard different JBL's, these are accurate with well dampened bass. I even played them at the same time as my Sequels, Yamaha MX-800U didn't fart, belch or complain. Interesting playing both pairs together, the JBL's on some short magazine filled boxes, just inward of the Sequels, massive rock out session :devil:, they now live with another Marantz receiver, Pioneer TT and another Teac RtR.

Attachments

• !JBL L56.2.jpg
    !JBL L56.2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 737
JSE Infinite Slope Model 1

My dad purchased these in the late 80's and man did they sound nice, great imaging, soundstage, and very forgiving. The design was also nice. Love my ML Sources of course!!

The Advent Loudspeaker

I have owned four since the late seventies and just had the surrounds done last winter 2008. They still sound beautiful to me but take alot of power to drive. I can describe their sound as rich, full and very warm. They will surprise with low frequency bass unlike many speakers in their price range.

One set is the utility cabinet and the other is the more expensive forget what it is called.

I have owned four since the late seventies and just had the surrounds done last winter 2008. They still sound beautiful to me but take alot of power to drive. I can describe their sound as rich, full and very warm. They will surprise with low frequency bass unlike many speakers in their price range.

One set is the utility cabinet and the other is the more expensive forget what it is called.

If you get the chance ..try to find a second pair...the Double Advent concept back in it's day was really good. I used to have a pair in college(yes I am old) and they trumpted the other big speaker in the house which was an AR LST.

oh my! i drove through there today...glad they busted the POS.

Magnepan MG-1. Love them. I've been thinking of going the 3.6 route lately. I don't appreciate the look of the new ML's (The ones that I may be able to afford :rolleyes: anyway)

The MG-1 was my introduction to high end sound in 1978. Great speakers! Completely changed my world and made me a panel lover to this day...

The MG-1 was my introduction to high end sound in 1978. Great speakers! Completely changed my world and made me a panel lover to this day...

The only problem was that I blew the ribbon twice over a number of years. Tried different speakers until I bought a CLS and it has been ML ever since.

My biggest regret is selling the CLS.

Martin Logan is the only speaker that I have ever owned worth mentioning here, but some others that have impressed me that I would consider owning are the Mirage satellites (if budget had to be considered) and the Focal series utilizing the beryllium tweeter. The Focals would probably be my second choice for loudspeaker behind the logans. Such clear mids like we are used to.

Dominick

Back