Snake oil

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this one tops everything I ever read about audio voodoo:

No Kidding, I first thought this was some fun tongue-in-cheek article yanking the high-end-tweakofiles chain. But then I read the rest of the stuff they peddle, and OMG :eek:

Just where do people leave their brains before buying this crap?

But I did get a good laugh out of it. Thanks for sharing ;)

I knew I had seen that company before, they hawk the Brilliant Pebbles on Agon. I saw this months ago and just couldn't help but wonder who would need this and why. Anything to make a dollar I guess.

I wonder if Jodie Foster knows they are using her likeness to promote this stuff. Of course with her "spacey" behavior, she probably is a paid endorser.

this one tops everything I ever read about audio voodoo:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

it beats even the description of the F. Record Clamp, to be read here:

http://www.shunmook.com/text1.htm

The MD stuff is hilarious but having heard the SM record clamp I have to admit it changes the sound in clearly audible ways. Whether or not you find the changes to be improvements or not is purely subjective but I definitely preferred the clamp to other clamps or to none in the system I heard it in. YMMV

It is a 100% profit scam. I presume they call you and play some test tone/sound effect and your system is cured. No cost other than phone bill. Makes witch doctors sound scientific.:p

The MD stuff is hilarious but having heard the SM record clamp I have to admit it changes the sound in clearly audible ways. Whether or not you find the changes to be improvements or not is purely subjective but I definitely preferred the clamp to other clamps or to none in the system I heard it in. YMMV

risabet, $1800 are needed for that record clamp. These guys live on another planet, or in a parallel universe. :wtf:

If you had to spend $1800 for a record clamp I would think that would be a better down payment on where the problem is, the turntable.:eek:

Of course I could be wrong and there is a land deed of a large amount of swamp land with my name on it.

Jeff:cool:

risabet, $1800 are needed for that record clamp. These guys live on another planet, or in a parallel universe. :wtf:

Oh yes they do:D . It is certainly beyond the lunatic fringe but it does do something to the music that is certainly a pleasant alteration.

If you had to spend $1800 for a record clamp I would think that would be a better down payment on where the problem is, the turntable.

There was nothing wrong with the TT I heard the clamp on. A large VPI/SME/can't recall the cart. that was set up and working correctly. I was simply pointing out that the clamp made a subjective improvement IMO. The reality is that it is obscenely over priced and could probably be made by any woodturner for the price of an ebony burl and an hour on the lathe. Definitely NOT $1800 worth except in the strange world of audiophilia!

Risabet,

That was my point. I figured it was used a on good turntable but 1800 is a bit much at any level for a record clamp. I do believe the Shun Mooks' do have some value but not at those prices.

Jeff

It has been reported that the "tele" tweak sounds like someone hitting a kitchen pot.

I have a used teleportation tweak for cheap if anybody is interested.:rolleyes:

My first thought: that's a prank! Then I saw that the illustrious Marja & Henk of 6moons gave the "Intelligent Box" a favorable review. Which proves to me once again that there are lies, damn lies, and audio reviews.

Here is what must be the modern heir of the original Snake Oil. Check out their other products also. They have all kinds of interesting audiophile must-haves, for instance, Smart Metal, Memory Foils, Cream Electret, and even a Quantum Clip (a real steal for only £500)!

"The P.W.B. Quantum Clip is capable of manipulating certain inanimate material into a condition that mimics the quantum state of our living senses."

"As we have mentioned earlier, all vinyl records, Compact Discs and magnetic storage tapes including computer discs are linked in space-time to the past in the same way that a photographic image records an event in time and links the past to and influences activities in the present. This is a situation that profoundly confuses the human senses."

Ah, so that's why.

There's another one... the Shakti diffusor....

I've never heard it, but something about that diagonally painted wooden coat rack screams "overpriced" to me.

I dunno.. just my 3 cents.

:)

Those damned protons, if they would just behave our systems would be perfect.

I need to start a business of selling audio tweaks. I could become wealthy.

Joey

You might become wealthy from selling tweaks but then we wouldn't respect you in the morning!

Back