REL Subs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I dislike all the "What's the best" threads we find on the net. So that is not what I'm asking.

I have an option of purchasing a REL Britannia B1 for $1500 from a dealer. It is a floor model, which has been on the floor about 6 months with limited play time.

It is the size of a small dorm ice box, but the size does not bother me or the wife. I've searched the net, but there does not seem to be a lot of traffic on this piece. What I have found is that people believe them to be very musical and my dealer, whom I trust, said it would blend very nicely with the ML's. He does not sell ML. He did offer me a deal on a pair of McIntosh 501 mono's with my 352 in a trade since ESL's need good clean power!!!!

I did not bring the amps home.

Have any of you guys had any experience with a REL sub?

Gordon

Gordon, I've got a REL Stadium III and I'm a big fan. I've not used any of the Martin Logan subs in my system so I cannot comment on them, but I like the REL so well I've never felt complled to explore anything else.

Musical is certainly the term I would use to decribe the REL as an attribute. I would hesitate to say that it has a house "sound" because one of the things that the REL does so well is take on the character of your existing system - or more specifically, your existing amplifier. I've had 3 different amplifiers in my system since I bought the REL (a McCormak DNA-1, a set of Rogue Magnum 120's and now my BAY VK-6200) and what the REL really does is just extend the sound of whatever amplifier it's hooked up to into much lower registers. It adds a foundation to the music that when set properly, calls no attention to itself. When you switch it off though you realize that the bottom falls out of everything and the soundstage collapses. Forget about using an RCA type hookup for it though, as you'll only achieve these results if you use REL's cable (supplied of course) and hook it up directly to your left and right positive terminals and a negative of your choice directly on your amplifier.

Attachments

• REL.jpg
    REL.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
re: REL subs

I think that you would be very happy with the REL sub. I find that they are superbly musical, along the lines of the ML subs. It will blend in seamlessly with the stats. I have sold both brands in my time in the industry and I still can
t figure out which brand I prefer. I've never heard the Britannia line of REL subs, but I can still recommend it based off the REL's I have enjoyed.

Good luck in the decision.

I have the same REL sub in my 2 Channel set up as Tim as well as a pair of MC 501's driving my panels. No home experience with ML subs either but I have been happy with the REL and for what what its worth (dollars and performace) the model you are looking at is much better than what I have.

The primary local ML dealer in my area, Magnolia HiFi, swears by both the ML and REL subs but pushed the REL and for the money (my REL was significantly discounted as it was used) I have been happy with it.

Last edited:
Johnwa, you're using 501's. Did you move up to them from another Mac amp? I like the Mac sound or lack of it however you call it and I would not want to loose it. The deal my dealer offered is very tempting but I'm not sure I can get it through the war department! I've read nothing but praise for these pieces. OK, alot of that comes from the Mac site @ AudioKarma but it does not seem those folks are using ML's.

Gordon

I have had a Mc 2205 for many years which I had always used to drive my Sequel IIs and loved the combination. I purchased a pair of Monolith III's and knew I wanted more power and looked a lot of combinations. It took me a while but but I could not find anything (to me) that I liked better at the price point than the Mc's and the 501's quickly became the clear choice for me.

For what it's worth, literally and figuratively, I have seen multiple pairings of MC's and ML's and they work exstremely well with each other. As I mentioned, the local dealer I had used over the years, Magnolia HiFi, (now Best Buy with nicer show rooms) has always promoted ML and Mc's as their defacto pairing of choice.

In any event, I don't regret my decision the amp choices and love the 501's. I do wish I had purchased the C2200 Tube Pre amp you have instead of the C46 SS pre I did but also have the 201 in common with you. Looks like we are both Mc fans and I would encourage you to look around and compare again but for me, I am very happy to be almost exclusive Mc and ML and believe the pairing is hard to beat at almost any price.

I had a B2 for a year, but sold it when I got my Summits. The ML Descent was a lot faster and more detailed, kept up with the panels better....

I decided to give the REL a try last saturday. Brought it home and hooked it up. Played around a bit with the crossovers and have not found the best position yet.

It does not help that today is the first day in a week that I've been out of bed. Got hit with flu and haven't listened to a thing except myself snoring. Tried listening today but the ears are clogged and it all sounds like mush.

I guess a couple more days and I can clear my ears.

For those using a sub, where are you crossing over? Right now I'm at about 49 htz.

Gordon

My ears have finally cleared and I can't believe what I bought. Our living room is undergoing some major changes like new furniture, placement and paint. My concession to the wife for buying the ML's and the REL.

The mids seem to be just jumping off the panels and the detail brings a smile to my face. At first I thought it was just my ears being clear so I played a couple cuts with the sub on then off. The sub makes a big difference to my listening.

I'm very pleased with the purchase and once the new furniture gets placed I'll have to do some additional tweaking.

Gordon

Back