Proper Care and Cleaning of Vinyl Records...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best cleaning method yet...

kach22i said:
I purchased (about 10 years ago) a record cleaning machine (vaccum) from Audio Advisor (Record Doctor) for $169 (now $199), a must for you record show goers. Wish I bought a better one for twice the money in retrospect.

I have an "Orbatrac", but I really don't see what the big deal is - works, nothing to rave about.

The big secret in great record cleaning is steam (must be used with either Orbatrac or record cleaning machine).

I have a portable travel sized steam cleaner (from the wife) which works wonders. Avoid the lables. My pint sized unit does not get very hot - could never burn you, and you have to really work it to get it to warp the record (flattens out on it's own once on the cleaning machine).

My current method on a newly purchased worn record or one of my oldest roughest samples is to clean in on the Record Doctor cleaning machine. Then steam clean it, put it on the Record Doctor machine and clean again (full fliuids and brush - typical). If this just does not do the trick, I'll pull out the Orbatrac.

Once upon a time; I steamed cleaned first, and went straight to the Orbatrac before going to the Record Cleaning Machine - wow you could really see all the crud then on the Orbatrac pads..

Once cleaned, I don't clean again for at least a year, but will use my Zerostat gun and carbon fiber brush to keep the record clean.

Also important to keep the needle clean, turn down the volume and use the "LAST" stylus cleaner and application brush.

I'm also a big fan of the Cardas degausing record and tube phone sections, somehow they work together to relax the whole playback system.

Some people claim to get good results with CD's using record treatment tools. They used the Zerostat gun on CD's, and play the Cardas record to tune-in or warm up the entire playback chain.

Remember, nothing cleans like STEAM .

If you want a theory to go along with this here is one: Every time you play a record the contact point of the stylus (just for an instant) heats up and melts the vinyl (cools back down in a micro second as well). The only way to get the dirt out is to losen it up with heat or warm water.

There is some evidence that mold is the real problem - even if you cannot see or smell it. Ever hear of "old moldy records"? There are now bio-cleaners designed to eat the mold but not the vinyl. The mold may grow over the dust particles making a big microscopic mess for your stylus to magnify.
kach22i,

Wow, you have been doing this cleaning and reconditioning for awhile, I can tell... :) Lots of excellent detailed information in your discription of your technique for cleaning /reconditioning your records. It seems with your technique, it just might be possible to remove most of those "pops" and "ticks" sounds from very old vinyl records? Have you found that to be true? Also, what fluids do you use for record cleaning in the "Orbatrac Record Cleaning Machine" ?

I really like your discribed style and combination of techniques / methods for cleaning and reconditioning your vinyl records. Thank you for sharing. ;)

Robin said:
It seems with your technique, it just might be possible to remove most of those "pops" and "ticks" sounds from very old vinyl records? Have you found that to be true? Also, what fluids do you use for record cleaning in the "Orbatrac Record Cleaning Machine" ?
My methods are far from perfect and cannot fix that which is broken. However cleaning several times and using several methods will get results - just as with your laundry.

Alcohol - in your tummy not on the records will take the snap crackle pop out when all else fails. Please use in moderation. :)

My theory about tubes goes this way: Solid state reproduces the beginning and end of a note, whereas tubes capture the middle part of the note.

Using this theory of tubes and what my ears tell me. Tubes will take out the noise better and leave the primary notes. I'm not sure if this is a filter affect, in a true sense. I just call solid state a magnifying glass that etches out the flaws instead of rolling them over like a tube can.

If you go with an archaic technology (vinyl records) why not be true to the technology and go all the way with tubes. I kind of think they were made for each other.

Older Vinyl Easier to Clean?

kach22i said:
My methods are far from perfect and cannot fix that which is broken. However cleaning several times and using several methods will get results - just as with your laundry.

Alcohol - in your tummy not on the records will take the snap crackle pop out when all else fails. Please use in moderation. :)

My theory about tubes goes this way: Solid state reproduces the beginning and end of a note, whereas tubes capture the middle part of the note.

Using this theory of tubes and what my ears tell me. Tubes will take out the noise better and leave the primary notes. I'm not sure if this is a filter affect, in a true sense. I just call solid state a magnifying glass that etches out the flaws instead of rolling them over like a tube can.

If you go with an archaic technology (vinyl records) why not be true to the technology and go all the way with tubes. I kind of think they were made for each other.
kach22i or Anyone

I am curious is 'Older' vinyl records (1969 and older) easier to clean and care for, as they are thicker and more vinyl - less warp-age easier to handle? Or are they the same to clean / care for? :confused:

Robin said:
kach22i or Anyone

I am curious is 'Older' vinyl records (1969 and older) easier to clean and care for, as they are thicker and more vinyl - less warp-age easier to handle? Or are they the same to clean / care for? :confused:
Robin, actually today's audiophile pressings (180 and 200 gram) are thicker that the old stuff. Cleaning is directly related to how well you took care of and preserved them through the years. I have mono recordings from 1960 that still play well. Keep in mind a quality archival sleeve(anti-static) is important, one does not want to draw dust which in turn during summer months promotes mold, etc.

Robin said:
kach22i,

I think you are quite correct, Tubes and Vinyl probably ment to go together... ;)

Whether or not they were meant to go together they do, IMO, have a synergistic relationship that is undeniable. Long live vinyl and bottles.

risabet said:
Whether or not they were meant to go together they do, IMO, have a synergistic relationship that is undeniable. Long live vinyl and bottles.
I'll second that !!!

Vinyl & Bottles...

risabet said:
risabet,

Viva la Vinyl & Bottles, someday I hope to truly know and appreciate the perfect synergy relationship between these two age old audio leviathans... ;) Given the beauty of both, I only trust when I attempt adding these to my system, I find my vinyl smooth and crisp, while my bottles are mellow and too cool, man cool... :cool:

Robin said:
kach22i or Anyone

Some of my very old records do seem to be heavier and thicker.

For one thing, I think the vinyl ages and becomes brittle, so they flex less as they age. Could this be a problem for the needle/stylus? I really doubt it because even a stone hard record will be softer than your needle by like a 1,000 times - okay would you believe 100 times?

A word of caution: I've read that the old "78" rpm records are of a different vinyl blend (harder/stiffer) and will damage your needle if you install the modern cartiage on an old 78 turntable. They have special cartiages that are dual use or only for 78's.

Everything already said about 180 gram virgin vinyl seems accurate to me - great stuff and better than "stock weight".

Japanese vinyl records (Led Zep for instance in the 70's released some) are known to be of good quality (well recorded too).

When CD's came out the record industry made paper thin records that sounded like carp after a single playing. Now why would they want and do something like that? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I use a Disc Doctor manual cleaning system...still I believe my records can sound more clean. Probably doing something wrong, as lots of folks have good words to say about DD.

jfm said:
I use a Disc Doctor manual cleaning system...still I believe my records can sound more clean. Probably doing something wrong, as lots of folks have good words to say about DD.
That's the cheepest on on the market from Audio Advisor? This is the one I have, I think the ones costing three times as much are supposed to be much better. It may take two or three washings of the same record to get the tought stuff out. I have a several copies of Yellow Brick Road and Dark Side of the Moon which I'm still trying to get optium sound/cleaness out of. I kind of like the challenge.

Once I had a high-end store guy show me how to clean a record. He was very aggressive with the brushing part, so much so I was startled (seemed random and all over the place, not follwing the groves too much). He then explained that it's "just a brush", and that records are much tougher than most people think they are. Also that it typically takes something as hard as a needle to damage it, not the brissle of a brush. I would not want this guy to wash or wax my car, not sure how much paint I would have left. ;)

OK, thanks kach, I get it...am not using it vigorously enough it seems.

Robin - you're not alone. I gave away/threw away hundreds of LPs at the dawn of the digital age. Be kind to me too! Last year I returned to analog with a basic system, and started to buy versions of my old records. The biggest challenge is finding mint ones or, as my post above reveals, cleaning the ones I get.

For everyone - I am therefore tempted to go the "new LP" route - with reissues. I'll have to learn about which reissues are worth it.

Finally, tubes and analog - yup, agree, marriage made in heaven and so on.

jfm said:
OK, thanks kach, I get it...am not using it vigorously enough it seems.
I don't know about that, I'm some what in between what that stereo salesman did and the instructions.

I use the standard nylon loop brush not a brissle brush for cleaning carpet or something rough (which is what that other brush reminded me of).

I might be in the market for a new wet application brush, are there any recomendations?

Proper Record Cleaning...

:p I found this interesting machine, which cleans all vinyl... ;)

The machine gently brushes the dust from the grooves with a mixture of alcohol and distilled water and then vacuums off the residue fluid and dirt leaving a dirt free surface and a quieter surface.

Attachments

• RecordCleaning.jpg
    RecordCleaning.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 339
Lencoclean

For over 25 years I play all my records wet - with a Lencoclean. This is a second tonearm with a tank, a tube and a head. The head has a little brush and a valve to regulate the amount of cleaner. This cleaner is a mix of 40% Isopropylalcohol and 60% Auqa Destilata. I have very good experience with this little device !

Attachments

• Lenco2.jpg
    Lenco2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 434
  • Lenco1.jpg
    Lenco1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 492
Look Fascinatingly Easy to Use...

Frank,

Your Lencoclean second tonearm with a tank, a tube and a head with a little brush and a valve to regulate the amount of cleaner, is simply fascinating to me. :) It looks easy to use but does all that wetness on your LP's cause any whopping of your records? :confused:

Machine Record Cleaner...

I found another machine record cleaning machine which seem interesting. It runs about $500.00 (USD). ;)

Attachments

• VPI-RecordCleaningMachine-HW-16.gif
    VPI-RecordCleaningMachine-HW-16.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 367
  • Record Photo.jpg
    Record Photo.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 308
Phono / Analog / ML Enthusiasts...

VPI 16.5 and a very nice RCM. There are numerous good threads re: cleaning vinyl at the Audio Asylum/Vinyl Asylum so why reinvent the wheel here.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

Robert,

:D Excellent link, Thanks.:D
Please understand, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, not in anyway, however, I have come to understand that ML owners have a unique perspective, not just in their choice of ML speakers but all things audio including how they choose to clean there vinyl LP's, which is unique as well. ;) So naturally, I enjoy discussing sharing this topic with all the member of this august ML Club, in order to receive ML Club members perspective and opinion... :cheers:

I found another machine record cleaning machine which seem interesting. It runs about $500.00 (USD). ;)

I think Stesom has this one... very cool gadget!

All this TT talk is making me.... itch.

I'm going to stop ocming to this thread.

Joey
;)

Back